Tamiya Ducati 196

Started by Chris Ballard · 21 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chris Ballard said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Evening all. A few firsts here. My first images of a new build, my first motorcycle, and with that a whole truck load of new stuff like high gloss finishes and metallic I rarely touch.

I am really into Army aviation (in particular My old lot the Brit Army Air Corps) and after that Vietnam era prop and rotor, and the classic so how the hell did I end up here?

Sadly a couple of months ago my son in law was killed as the side car man in a grass track race here in the UK. 43, leaves my daughter and 3 young girls. He also owned a Harley and I guess would have loved a Ducati so bought this kit. I gave him advice in general terms, an airbrush, but sadly he never got to build it. Julie asked if I would and apart from not having a clue about motorbikes... it’s a work in process. The shiny red paint job is getting there, just waiting on tac rags and decent sanding sponges to get the surface right before I clear coat it.

Sure, there’s bits I could have done better (thankfully mostly hidden) and armed with the right info I would have loved to have super detailed it, but J is chuffed with it so far so hey❤️. Incidentally, I know the chain should be gold but Tamiya called out another colour and some images of the full size show it as basic steel. The pipes are awful. I couldn’t kill the seam without flattening the tubes so if I did it again, I would make the outlet stubs. Will I be taking up motorbikes now? It’s been interesting so never say never😳😆. Thanks for staying awake. Images are phone jobs as the PC is cream crackered...again 🙄

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Beautiful work. Your gauge work is outstanding. Why stop at one?

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice work on display here, @chrisballard.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking superb, Chris @chrisballard
    Hard to believe this is your first bike.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Superb job, @chrisballard!
    My condolences for your son in law, may he Rest In Peace.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks folks. It has been fun. To be brutally honest I have built other bikes (2) but I was 12 so best not go there😆

So far it has been enjoyable and has given a lot of food for thought, it’s been nice to build something totally different to be honest. The only complaint was that there were no positive engagement pins for the mirrors (I have drilled and pinned them...should work ok). The other is I really would have liked to get all of the wiring harness and brake discs correct but...well...another day...maybe 🤔❤️

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

@chrisballard WOW Chris! Great job on that Ducati. Deepest condolences on your lost

• Profile Photo
    Steven Corvi said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Gorgeous build What detail! Looks like I can hop on and ride it!

With a seat of course LOL

Steve

• Profile Photo

Come in handy wouldn’t it😆. That’s on the troublesome red shiny bits I have just been flatting back with micro mesh. I got a slightly grainy finish and the odd foreign object so the old fleece stays away, tac rag required and I need to look at the thinning/pressure for the next coat. Military aircraft are so much easier😬😆

• Profile Photo

Cheers chap. Not sure I will to be honest but I do love my airy/copters❤️

• Profile Photo

Thanks G, means a lot👍

• Profile Photo

❤️. Funnily enough some other poor sod has just been badly mauled in another crash. He should have stuck to sky diving

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great work so far - thats looking really beautiful and very real.

• Profile Photo
    Chris Ballard said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Here you go, the latest after I bottled it.

I had a real nasty with 2 decals on the top that grabbed near instantly. Very odd, almost as though they were hit with cyano😳. I tried getting a spare set but the agents here didn’t answer. Thankfully they were both on the top so probably wouldn’t notice. Shame though.

The finish isn’t perfect. Hats off to those that can. With time I probably can and may well do another. I bottled sealing the decals with lacquer as they looked fine and I didn’t fancy a melt down, but it meant the final polish couldn’t happen. Turns out they would have been fine but it won’t be handled (I have a case ordered) so it is what it is. Weak link was the mirror fixings. Why they never engineered a position locator is anyone’s guess...this is Tamiya after all.

Julie is chuffed to bits with it. I am onto a little black number...😆

Thanks for looking and the feedback ❤️

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks great, despite your drawxbacks, @chrisballard.