Tamiya Yamaha Midnight Special 1/6

Started by Cricket · 20 · 1 year ago · 1/6, Midnight Special, Tamiya, Yamaha, Yamaha Midnight Special
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 year, 4 months ago:

This was a fantastic kit I absolutely love Black and Gold, like Lotus JPS F-1 cars. I saw this kit and couldn’t resist, price was right because the box was damaged.

I enjoyed every aspect of this bike, the detail, the colors, the rake of the front fork.

Pic are a bit out of sequence but this was the full build. I used a gold paint “Sharpie” to do the lettering and I left the little side panels off for the outdoor shots :). It was built over the summer months this year

21 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Yet another superb build, my friend @bikequeen!
    The XS1100 is such an iconic bike and you made the most out of the kit!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I really like this one, Cricket (@bikequeen). It's easy to see why they call it The Midnight Special. In 1/6 scale it probably puts my 1/9 motorcycle to shame.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

This is a great addition to your beautiful bike collection, Cricket @bikequeen
    The dashboard and the battery do look very detailed.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Fantastic build! Your detail work is really nice @bikequeen! Very realistic.

You could definitely use more desk space though.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 4 months ago:

You really make the most of these big Tamiya bikes, Cricket @bikequeen, but what I can’t help liking best is your enthusiasm, it really shows through in everything you build.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge Thanks George! I do enjoy building them…most of them anyway. Since retiring from the Fire Department I have tons o time on my hands

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @brithebuilder @gblair @johnb. Thank you so much everyone I have now done 10 of these Tamiya 1/6 bikes this year at the time I built the Yamaha it was the best of them, still one of my favorites…. Sadly this 1/6 run will die out soon, they all cost a small fortune but I love them all. I have the Tamiya Honda Africa Twin left and that will be it

I appreciate the comments but I dont feel my skill is at show level 🙂

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder To true Brian! I have a very tiny house and work on the kitchen table, so every other day I have to clear it off so I can use it for silly things like preparing and eating food 😉

• Profile Photo

Hilarious!

I sympathize, clearing my stuff out of the way for cooking every other day would be so much extra work. I ended up finishing my basement and making myself an office so I could have space. I've seen people buy decent size sheds from Menards/Home Depot to turn into work spaces.

• Profile Photo

I also sympathize, Cricket (@bikequeen). I have a workbench, but I tend to just keep piling stuff up as I use them instead of putting them away. Every couple of weeks, I have to stop and clean because there is no workspace left on the bench. So I put everything away and the cycle starts over. I also sympathize about the price of the kits. I am old enough that I see a kit re-released for $100 that I paid $25 for 20 years ago. I am building a lot of my stash simply because I don't want to pay for new kits.

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder I had a really nice shed that I did all my work in but my husband commandeered it for a ham radio room and the garage is full of brown recluse spiders so I dont go in the 🙂

• Profile Photo

@gblair thanks George, I collected kits for the last 25 years only to realize I didnt like what I collected, and the really good ones I didnt want to build because I was afraid I would ruin them, so everything just kinda was idle. Had a Ducati bike kit…forget the manufacturer…for years…got excited about it and went for it…turned out to be a terrible kit. Then I found my first Tamiya Ducati a year and a half ago and that was it….i got hooked big time :). I did 9 1/12th scale and in January of this year I got hooked on the 1/6 bikes…and here I am. Still got a few kits in my stash but have no interest in the subjects….SIGH. Ok this tirade is done 🙂

• Profile Photo

Hmmm, sounds like the hubby needs to be put in the garage... It's called a she-shed for a reason, and man caves always have spiders. Seems perfectly logical to me. Hubby deals with the spiders and you get your shed back! I didn't have a space until I built it myself. I have the basement and my wife and daughter get the rest of the house.

Or... Cricket gets a new shed!

No matter what you guys should nuke the garage. I had to deal with brown recluse in Missouri while in Basic Training so many years ago. Nasty spiders.

• Profile Photo

Cricket (@bikequeen): Our one remaining local hobby shop will sell kits on consignment. I take the kits I don't plan to build to the hobby store, they sell them, and I get store credit. It helps pay for some of the new high-price kits I want. Perhaps there is someplace near your house that has consignments.