Who is John McGuinness?

Started by George Williams · 53 · 9 months ago · Honda Fireblade, IOM TT, John McGuinness, Tamiya 1/12
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 11 months ago:

Hi everyone, @brithebuilder, @anthonyricco, @kalamazoo, @gblair, @rory, @bikequeen, @johnb, @fiveten, @eb801
    Well, you might be asking yourselves “who is John McGuinness?”.
    He is one of the foremost motorcycle road racers in recent years.
    What is road racing? As the name suggests it’s racing on public roads as opposed to circuits.

Perhaps the best known event is the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy (IOM TT), held in June every year.
    The Isle of Man is a small island off the north west coast of England. It is part of the UK but has its own parliament. Most of the rules and regulations are the same as the mainland, but it is able to close public roads in order to hold a race, something which requires an act of parliament on the mainland.

To celebrate John McGuinness’ 100th TT race entry Honda have brought out a special edition Fireblade.

Until this year John held second place for the number of TT wins, but has lost that place to Michael Dunlop.

Who is nephew to perhaps the greatest road racer of all time, the late, great Joey Dunlop.

Anyway, I came across an after market transfer (decal) set designed for the Tamiya 1/12 kit.

The wheel rims look tricky.
    I posted the “standard” Fireblade here last year, and know it’s a great kit.

That’s it for now, happy modelling and thanks for taking the time to look.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months ago:

@chinesegeorge - This is going to be an epic build George! Amazing to be building a bike dedicated to one of the legends of racing.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

An epic build indeed, my friend @chinesegeorge! Really looking forward to it!
    I agree on Joey Dunlop:The Best.
    Much missed.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

Building this bike will be a great tribute to the Isle of Man TT, George @chinesegeorge
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Rory Wilson said 11 months ago:

Isle of Man, either the bravest or most stupid men on earth to race there. Last week Michael Dunlop set a new record for the highest average speed of 135mph! That is insane when you think of them racing between hedges and rock walls only inches away! Five riders died there in 2022. Anyway George @chinesegeorge, this is going to be an epic build to watch. Also the sidecar racing is a bit over the limit.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 11 months ago:

Good one George, racing on any paved circuit is called road racing !

• Profile Photo

I forgot to mention that John McGuinness is highly regarded by Valentino Rossi.

• Profile Photo

You’re right, @rory, it’s usually the sidecar competitors that suffer the most fatalities.
    But not this time, thank goodness.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

Wow, George (@chinesegeorge), the decals look awesome and also look like a real challenge. I had no idea that road racing could be so deadly. Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks everyone for looking, @brithebuilder, @fiveten, @johnb, @kalamazoo, @gblair, @rory.

The kit, fork set, transfer set, and some paint have arrived, so let’s get started.
    As is usual with these kits construction starts with the engine:

The main block is painted in two shades of silver.

The cylinder head cover is painted and the plug connections are added. I did toy with the idea of adding ignition leads but this is all hidden from view later, so I didn’t bother.

More parts added.

And now it looks like this:

I picked out the bolt heads in silver with a slightly blunted tooth pick.

That’s it for now, plenty more to come, thanks for looking and happy modelling.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great-looking engine, George (@chinesegeorge). I really like how the subtle differences in the metal colors give depth and accentuate detail on the engine.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

The engine looks amazing, George @chinesegeorge
    That oil filter is nicely detailed as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

This engine looks awesome, my friend@chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

@chinesegeorge - Looks great George!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks @brithebuilder, @gblair, @fiveten, @johnb, here are a few pictures of the completed engine:

I’m afraid my fingernails aren’t as cool as Cricket’s @bikequeen.

More work with the toothpick:

Lots more to come, thanks again for looking, and happy modelling.