Yamaha ZYR-M1 2009 Version, with Top Studio parts

Started by Cricket · 115 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 11 months ago:

@rory @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder

Thank you. Everyone….I realized that the “holes” for the tiny parts are only markers and I have to drill a deeper hope for the tiny parts

I spilled the CA glue twice, messed up the table but didnt ruin my nails 😉

I’ll send pics later….everything is s tiny ya cant see them anyway

I HATE CA glue 😉

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 11 months ago:

Hi Cricket, @bikequeen. I don’t like it either, it messes up the fingerprint pass on my phone, luckily I have face press as well, keep at it, but if you throw all that Top Studio stuff away in frustration, you’ll still be the bike queen here.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 11 months ago:

@bikequeen - Not sure if you're using an applicator Cricket, but I use a toothpick. I used to use the small nozzle and the precision applicator tip that comes with the bottles of Starbond CA but they clog way too quickly. I started doing the toothpick a while ago and have so far (knock on wood) had only minor accidents. I've also found that using one of the plastic bags that parts come in and putting a puddle of CA on it to dip the toothpick in can be very useful. The open bottle of CA sitting on the desk is dangerous.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 11 months ago:

Yeah,Brian @brithebuilder, I’d second that.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

Tiny parts + CA glue can be really frustrating, Cricket (@bikequeen). I do the same thing Brian does. I squeeze some CA on a plastic soft drink lid (the kind that you get at fast food places) and then put the CA bottle out of harm's way. I then use a toothpick to get the glue where I need it. I haven't had any accidents with spilled CA since I started moving the bottle out of reach. I also hate tiny parts. 1/48 scale photoetch levers on the instrument panel are my particular nemesis.

• Profile Photo

@brithebuilder not using an applicator, did use a watch oiler that is dipped in and transferred but only worked a few times. I tried @fiveten Sprios’s trick but it too didnt work. The glue is instant set which it isn’t. The parts are tiny and break off really easy Use a soda bottle cap to hod a small amount of glue and dip in something to pick up a bit….no one bottleds on the desk…..I s-lidded the bottle cap instead. I did glue my cutters together……SIGH :). I’ll try the tooth pick. Problem is I have to hold the peice way to long for it t dry and I dont have any “kicker” dont like it sans yet….to messy

• Profile Photo

@bikequeen - Yeah, no instant set seems to actually be instant set. I would recommend some kicker. I spray some on my desk surface and then use a 2nd toothpick to apply it. Definitely a nuisance, but... There is also a special glue for PE parts from AMMO by mig - Ultra Glue. It's still water based and designed for PE and clear parts. I've never used it, but if you really despise CA, it may be worth giving it a shot.

• Profile Photo

@brithebuider dont have kicker and it would be weeks to get it : I shall plug away

The biggest issue is the tiny parts (connectors) break off if u look at the funny……SIGH

• Profile Photo

I stand corrected it is instant set when your get it on your fingers…..Signed frustrated in TN 🙂

• Profile Photo

@rory @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder

Still some work to do but here it is, the most complex engine i ever built

I hate resin and CA glue

I’m done for the day

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

The subtle differences in the different pieces really make this look like a real engine, Cricket (@bikequeen). The metallic colors and tones are just right. A well-deserved break is in order.

• Profile Photo

@bikequeen - looks like you could start it up Cricket! Fantastic work, and resin and CA can definitely be a PItA, but keep it up! The end result will justify the challenges... and if you continue to use the Top Studio stuff, each build will get easier. In my humble opinion, it's worth it.

• Profile Photo

gblair @brithebuilder. Thanks guys i thought i would have to be demoted to bike princess 🙂

• Profile Photo

@bikequeen - Ha, Bike Princess, I think that's me at this point! LMAO

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

The engine looks wonderful, my friend @bikequeen!