Monogram 1/48 B-24D/J Combo Build, "The Squaw", "Flak Alley" and "Tubarao" Combo Build

Started by Walt · 462 · 1 year ago · B-24, B-24D, Flak Alley, Monogram 1/48, Sleepy, The Squaw, Tubarao
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 7 months ago:

This site doesn't really offer a place for offers to buy/sell/trade. So I will start this blog off with a all hands on deck call for the decals I want to build this bird. The sheet I am looking for was in the Revell release of the B-24D Kit. The Kit # is 04529 and the bird featured on the box is Flak Alley. I want to build the War Bond Touring version of "The Squaw/Sleepy" that is on the sheet. I am willing to buy or trade to get the sheet, or at least the parts of the sheet I need for my bird. I will build the "in theater" version if I must, but really want to do the Bond Tour version. I want to thank all in advance that can help me out.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Well last week I came home and my wife tells me I got a letter from Greece and that envelope was what I needed to determine which version of "The Squaw" I will build. It will be the War Bond Tour version of the plane. A good friend from here on iModeler, Spiros Pendedekas, @fiveten, answered my call for help on the decals. He had the kit the contained the version I was looking for on the decal sheet. He wants to build the "Flak Alley" so he graciously sent me all the decals for "The Squaw". I have asked Spiros to join me in building his B-24 while I build mine in this blog. I hope he will join me here, but he is far more prolific than I am so if he joins a little later I am sure he will catch up quickly.

I have been gathering parts along the way and and have taken a little time to start the scribing of the panel lines, and of course have already made a few errors, but I will fix them. The Vector Resin Engine Nacelle, Engine and Exhaust upgrade really is some stunning work. We will see if it goes in and looks as good as I think it should when I start to build them.

One of the cool things about the markings is that they point out all the battle damage incurred during missions. The are pointed out and if you look at the picture of the real aircraft you can see the small patch panels in the skin of the aircraft.

I hope you will follow along and enjoy the build of what is really a pretty good kit despite some accuracy issues and some minor fit problems along the way.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 6 months ago:

I'm wondering if our friend @fiveten isn't a "national type." He reminds me so much of Zorba from "Zorba the Greek" and my friend the late Steve Pisanos, "the Flying Greek." - Good. Guys.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

It is really wonderful that you started "The Squaw", my friend @luftwaffe-birdman! The extras look great! With your usual excellent skills, by definition a masterpiece will emerge!

Of course I will start my "Flak Alley", it will be a pleasure (and an honor) to join you! My build will be my usual OOB, with possibly some scratchbuilding here and there and will add to my ever increasing projects started, but that's a lot of fun!

Looking forward to your super build!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for kind words, my friend @tcinla! Mean a lot to me.

Your October 2003 B-24J build article at Modelingmadness was a modeling milestone for me back then, a couple of years after I had restarted modeling in a more "serious" manner (ie buying an airbrush, more specialized tools, stash a number of kits and the like...).

I was amazed back then to read a review of a big model, old mold, but cheap and not difficult to put together. No "de rigeur" engraved lines, but raised ones that might actually look more correct. Your "CONCLUSIONS" text really had a big impact to me, and started tackling like projects ever since. Not the B-24, as the Revell reissue hit the Greek shelves a tad later (of course I grabbed one!).

I adamantly believe that new tool models are necessary, nothing better than having the latest and greatest, it's a modeler's heaven nowadays! Still, there is a degree of satisfaction in tackling older beauties of kits.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 6 months ago:

I'm right, you are indeed a "national type," @fiveten. Like Zorba and Steve.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman, Walt, what a great news that you can start your "The Squaw" with the help of our friend Spiros @fiveten.

How wonderful to see another combo build being started here. Being invloved in two others, I can say that it is really great to build together on the same kit.

Looking forward to this combo build as well, those Liberartors will end up beautifully.

• Profile Photo

So here is my Revell 1/48 B-24D!

This is what you see upon opening the box...

...a look at the sprues, nice, sweet old moldings...

As you might have noticed, a towing tractor is also provided, as well as some nice figures in typical Monogram style.

Clear parts look good...

Here are the instructions, all looking ok...

And the Cartograf printed decals...

It is planned to be a basically OOB build.

Since many projects are already run by yours truly, "logic" says that this build should commence upon a number of the above projects will be finished, but, as is my "usual" case, we'll see if logic will prevail!

Thanks for stopping by!

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Welcome aboard Spiros, @fiveten, I am happy to have you join my build and have changed the title of the blog. The kit is really pretty good and out of the box makes for a fun enjoyable build.

The tractor was a nice bonus even if it is very basic and toy like. For those that can afford it you can get the OtVinta! kit the was announced on this sight (https://imodeler.com/2020/10/otvinta-1-48-m2-cletrac-high-speed-tractor-new-model/). I would love the kit, and have seen it built on other sites with good reviews and results, but at $55 euro plus postage to the US, it was well over $100 US. So I will enjoy building the toylike tractor inluded in the kit.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Great looking kit, Spiros @fiveten
    Really looking forward to see this one build.
    Wingspan of nearly 70cm ! Another area consumer in your cabinet.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @luftwaffe-birdman! Indeed, the OtVinta! tractor looks wonderful, still the price tag is quite high, so I will also resort to the kit provided one!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Yep, it is a big one!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Looking forward to this joint build, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman) and Spiros (@fiveten). The early model B-24 is one of my most favorite airplanes. I have a couple of these 1/48 Monogram B-24s in my stash, but they are in storage awaiting the move to my new house. If I ever get moved, I will have to build one to join the group.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks my friend @gblair!
    Looking forward to see yours started!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Well in between paint coats on the Bf-109 and the He-111 I have started the scribing process. I really intended on building this close to out of the box, but then I saw the Vector Engine Nacelles and Exhaust...Damn eBay! Okay so start scribing, looking at pictures, wow, those main gear wells don't really look anything like the real aircraft...wait Vector has an update...oh Damn eBay...will be here by Friday! I must Resist! I MUST RESIST!

That said I am really digging the engine nacelle kit, I started on the first engine, and while there is not cutline on the model to follow, from preliminary test fitting after cutting a sanding the fit is very very nice.

I think I need a better ponce wheel for my rivets, but will finish this model with what I have to be consistent.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.