Chevy Tahoe - Williamson County EMS 1/24 scale

Started by George R Blair Jr · 37 · 4 months ago · 1/24, 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe, EMS, Welly Police Pursuit
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

After my complicated build of three Hudson bombers, I wanted to find something simple to do for the group. After living in San Antonio for almost 30 years, we have moved to a much smaller town just north of Austin. I was looking for something else on Ebay the other day, and I discovered a vendor who has a large selection of decals for a wide variety of locations. I was interested to find that he had a set of decals for the EMS vehicles in the country that we now live in. They were very reasonable priced, so I ordered a set. The decals are probably created on a home computer and printed on a home printer. Since they are printed on decal paper, they will have a continuous film and the decals will require careful trimming to eliminate most of the film. Upon examination, I noticed that the decals were slightly grainy. I checked Ebay and found another vendor who also makes a wide range of decals for emergency vehicles, and I found another set for my county's EMS, so I ordered a set. The printing on these decals, which are also printed on a home printer on continuous film decal paper, are much sharper. The prints are very clear, and there are decals for several logos that weren't in the first set. They are more accurate and include some pinstripes not printed on the first set. I really like this second set of decals, but it appears that the red stripes on the second set are not the correct shade of red. They are also made for a slightly different scale of vehicle. Which decals I use will be a game-time decision.

Next problem was to find a suitable vehicle. I needed a Chevy Tahoe SUV. I couldn't find a suitable plastic model to build, but I did find a company that sells diecast cars that are used as emergency response vehicles and police cars. They have a wide variety of vehicles available, all painted white overall so that you can create any paint scheme you need. When it arrived, I found that it was very detailed with a well-painted interior. They come with the pusher bumpers seen on emergency vehicles and a variety of light bars for the top of the car. And best of all, they only cost around $20.

I know it is probably sacrilegious to use a diecast model for a build, but it fits my requirements for a project: simple, quick, accomplishes the task in this group, and should look cool when done. I will need to disassemble the body to do some painting and upgrading, as well as doing the same on the outside. I have never built a diecast like this, so I am looking forward to the build.

I got started today by taking the car apart and making a plan for what I need to do with the car. It is held together with small screws. Cool. More tomorrow. (I do have some photos, but I am still having trouble getting them to upload. I will try again later.)

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Amazing entry, my friend @gblair! Something different and refreshing, really looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Very innovative, George @gblair ! Should turn out great!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great project, George @gblair
    Definitely something different this time.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), Jay (@ssgt), and John (@johnb). I haven't built a vehicle of any kind in a while, and never a diecast like this. Should be fun.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

It looks like you need a slightly different set of skills for this project, George @gblair, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

• Profile Photo

Hi George (@chinesegeorge): Thanks for dropping in. I am hoping for quick and easy on this one.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Cool idea George (@gblair). Some of these diecast models can actually be quite detailed. And as you mentioned, being able to disassemble them easily makes it a snap to add your own detail, painting, or whatever.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Hi Carl (@clipper): I managed to get everything apart except the windows. I wasn't overly confident I could get them out without breaking them, so I left them in place.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Now this is something different. Great concept, George @gblair. I’ll be following this build for sure.

• Profile Photo

Hi Eric (@eb801): Glad you dropped in. I was looking for something quick and easy before I jumped into something more demanding. I think a 1/48 Tamiya F-16 after this. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

I got a lot of work done today. Working on a diecast is a lot different than working on plastic. I have ended up completely disassembling the SUV and doing some work on most areas. I started doing the decals today. As you all know, the secret to applying decals with continuous decal film is to trim away as much of the extra film as you can. The decals have gone on very well so far and they seem to work fine. The decals are very translucent, so it is a good thing that the vehicle is white. There were some decals that are applied directly to the windows, and I hope to brush future directly over the windows to seal the decals. I hope to finish the decals tomorrow and completely finish the model on Wednesday. Cheers everyone. I have a bunch of pictures, but only two would load. I have temporarily given up after my 14th attempt to get the rest of them to load. May try again later. (Finally got all the photos loaded. It only took an hour to load 11 photos.)

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 4 months, 1 week ago:

It looks like a lot of work for a quick conversion, @gblair, well done on loading the photos, I still have problems in that department.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Amazing progress, my friend @gblair! Looks really cool so far!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent progress, George @gblair
    Also the repainting looks very good.