Photographing Models?

Started by Jeremy Millan · 7 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I'm curious is to how you guys are taking photos of your models? I would like to get clean photos with a solid color background. Are you using special cameras, lights and backgrounds? I only have my iPhone to take pics for now.
    Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 10 months ago:

check out George Henderson's recent posting here:

Photographing Models
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Just put your iPhone on a tripod and use the timer. Just go easy on the zoom. It's better to enlarge your photos afterwards using an photo editing program so you don't lose detail.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

@jmillan, I know next to nothing about smartphones. The little I do know is they mostly work perfect in bright sun, so that may be the scene you want. As for a background, whatever you prefer of color is up to you. A simple sheet of very large cardboard will do. The link above gives some useful insight, and many of the tips and tricks can be transferred to smartphones. As Eric Berg points out, do NOT use digital zoom - it is always better to edit in one of the many free editing programmes. Should you ever invest in a camera, I have had tremendous use of my Olympus TG4 (now out of production, they launched TG6 now) the price is far below that of an Iphone, and the TG-series is watertight, comes with a editing programme, has a movie camera, and - best of all - the new TG6 has a focus-stacking function that will allow you to make a composite photo that will enable you to have the focus in the right place from tip to tail.

Sorry - it was not about smartphones, but as mentioned above, the best results are with a tripod and timer. Hope this was of some use - happy modeling, and have fun with your pictures too!

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks for the responses guys I’ll check out the post above.

• Profile Photo
    David Garcia said 1 year, 11 months ago:

If you use a smartphone please back off and then zoom in to avoid the distortion so common to phone photos. It's better to use a camera with a decent lens. I do, however, use a very old Nikon 900 series Coolpix. These cameras can be adjusted for a deep depth of field. They are available on eBay for about $15-30. Here's a sample taken with that camera. For lighting I used a bright bulb on a reflector aimed at the model. I

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 11 months ago:

I am no expert, but you can see my pictures here, https://imodeler.com/author/luftwaffe-birdman/ I took all my pictures with my LG V30 phone. I believe that they came out okay. Things that help and I think would be helpful to others...

1. A generic blank backround, white, black, blue, so not to distract from the model. Pictures of a model on your bed, or on a cluttered work bench or counter top. It just distracts from your build. In progress is one thing but for the finished product show case it.

2. I am a firm believer in putting it on a base to give it a setting. It doesn't have to be an elaborate base, but just something to help draw attention to the model.

3. Plenty of light so that you can get better depth of field in your pictures. Nice to get as much of the model in focus as you can. It can be a challenge on some of those bigger kits.

4. As mentioned by others don't try to get to close with the camera. You can zoom in from a distance, and honestly I usually get a little a closer but use the editing software to crop and zoom in on the details.

5. Take multiples of each shot so you can pick the best one to work with on the computer. Memory is basically free so there is no reason to not take lots of pictures and just delete the ones that dont' work out.

6. One last thing, take in progress pictures of your kit. I am ALWAYS amazed a the flaws I missed when I look at a model in a picture. The camera does not lie. It will make your errors stick out. I see it here, parting seams on landing gear, glue seams not filled, dirt in the paint, silvered decals...all things that if I had taken the picture in process I probably wouldn't have missed.