Greenlandair DC-4, Revell 1/72

Started by Erik Gjørup · 29 · 1 year ago · 1/72, DC-4, dc4, Douglas, greenlandair, Revell, SAS, SAS75
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Many moons ago I discovered a very good price on the Revell DC-4 kit in 1/72. Only trouble were they were in a shop in Greece! Well, our fellow iModeler Spiros to the rescue, and after a brief correspondance, two kits arrived! Thanks @fiveten.

Now, there are two very nice choices in the kit, but I had always planned to do a Greenlandair plane, and for that LN-decals once again came to the rescue with his "BAT and Greenlandair Douglas DC-4's". As with other decal sheets there will be some not used, and again the remaining BAT decals are up for grabs - PM if interested.

The kit is in a rather large box, and I do not quite know where to display the finished plane.

Anyway, it is stuffed with details, so lots of hours ahead!

and with that it is off to a start - tune in to join me on the journey, and feel free to comment

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Yet another wonderful entry, my friend @airbum! Looking forward to it as well!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Looking forward to this beauty being build also, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 3 months ago:

First cut!

With this one expected to take relatively long time, it is time to get going

The very first act was to cut one fuselage-shell from the sprue.

Next step is to delete one window.

This involved my very first use of sprue-goo, as opposed to my usual LqS method

LqS involves a jar with dissolved sprue, whereas sprue-goo is sprue directly from the sprue with a brush loaded with thin glue. It makes the layers a lot thinner, and therefore it takes less time to cure. The down-side is that a lot of sessions may be needed if it is some deep holes that need filling.

The windows are not very nice, and the result of this first use of them a bit disappointing. I may go back at the very end after painting and try some micro klear instead to bring the glass up to the surface.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great start, my friend @airbum! Loved the spruegoo! Might give it a try!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Nice approach to get rid of the window, Erik @airbum
    Should have done that on my DC6 as well.

• Profile Photo

Fresh brew!

I reverted to the LqS, and made up a fresh jar of white LqS from the Revell sprues

After installing the correct doorframe (the kit offers both DC4 and C-54 doors, the one I build is actually a C-54 converted to DC-4, and has the cargodoor) the LqS is put to good use.

The doorframe did not fit that well.

A ferw more rounds are needed as it sinks as it dries. I also filled a few sinkmarks. Tune in later to check progress

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great use of LqS, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 3 months ago:

I haven't seen this boxing before, Erik @airbum. This looks like it will be a real winner. Is Greenlandair part of the SAS family?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

You're making good use of LqS, Erik @airbum
    May I ask what kind solvent you used to get this mixture, since it sinks while drying I guess you thinned it quite a lot.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Hi Erik @airbum, nice to see another entry in this non-military group, even in 1/72 scale this bird is going to be pretty big, I’ve read the dimensions on the box lid.

• Profile Photo

Thank you gents. @eb801, indeed - I forgot to mention that, but SAS was a majority owner of Grønlandsfly A/S, and that is reflected in the typeface Greenlandair used - it is a typeface owned by and developed for SAS.

@johnb, well spotted - I did indeed use a thinner than normal mix. I found my yellow LqS was a bit too thick, and wanted to mix some white for this project. I simply use the Tamiya thin cement for making the brew.

@chinesegeorge, big it will be, although just a bit smaller than the DC-6 by Spiros and John.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Assembly commences!

I could not resist getting this one going, and assembled a few items.

The plans let you assemble the cockpit first, followed by the navigators station and the cabin.

I glued up the basics, then dryfitted it to make sure the basic angles were correct.

I also did get the frame rough-sanded

and more to follow with paintfiller I guess.

The plastic has some very delicate details as well as a full cabin with lugagebins and all.

I have to consider carefully where to use the details as very little may be visible, and with a full aft cabin it is certain to become a tailsitter.

I shall continue with the assembly of the front offices, and right now I think the crew door may be left open as there is a lot of glass there to let the details be clearly visible.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Fantastic progress, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Very nice progress, Erik @airbum
    Quite a lot of details indeed.