Heller's 1/72 Heinkel He-112 (Romania)

Started by Bob Torres · 41 · 2 years ago · 1/72, He-112, Heller
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 5 months ago:

This is my second entry for this group build. Heller's He-112, kit # 240, released in 1979. In my eyes this looks like a nice kit to build. I will build this in Romanian markings and this kit has two sets of engine side cowling to be fitted as the earlier 112B or later version. The Romanian aircraft had the later cowlings so this kit will match the scheme with no issues.

Repeating what I wrote on my Rareplane He-112:
    The He-112 was a German pre-WWII design that was tested during the Spanish Civil War. When the war ended most stayed in Spain. On the 3rd of March 1943, a single Spanish He 112 B managed to damage an American Lockheed P-38 Lightning fighter. Spain eventually used its He 112's up until the 1950s.

The Germans used their He-112 but were replaced by Bf-109's. The He-112 were also used by Romania, Hungary and the Japanese Navy had two.

Another build that I am looking forward to make. The decals from the Heller kit are not really in good shape, I do have an RS Models He-112 with German and Romanian markings and I might take the decals from there. When the time comes I will make up my mind on which way to go.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some shots of the He-112B with Romanian markings.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Wonderful choice, Bob @v1pro
    The He112 is a beautiful airplane.

• Profile Photo

Thank you John and I agree on its looks.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great entry, my friend @v1pro!
    Those old Heller kits are really sweet kits (and, in their black boxes, really attractive as well, a beautiful sight of our childhood).
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 5 months ago:

This will be a great looking aircraft when you’re done , Bob @v1pro ! The yellow nose really stands out.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 5 months ago:

That’s a great little kit, Bob. I built a couple of those in Condor Legion markings decades ago.

• Profile Photo

Guys, I am looking forward on this build too. So far I have enjoyed the Heller kits and like I said earlier, it looks like a nice kit. The yellow nose does make this an eye catching plane.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Paquette said 2 years, 5 months ago:

This is cool. And you don't see too many 112 builds either.

• Profile Photo

True, there are a few I have found on line but not much. I am going to enjoy this build.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Finally, I get to start the build for this kit. For this build I plan on just keeping it simple, straight out of the box. Only seatbelts and maybe an aerial will get added. Quite a different build on what I am doing right now on the Rareplane vacu-form He-112 build.

On these shots I start by painting the cockpit pieces a flat silver coat. Then I gave a thinned down coat of RLM 02 and highlight the little details on the sidewalls and instrument panel. I also added seatbelts to the seat.

Final shot shows it is all glued on to the right side and later both sides are then glued together. In this shot you can also see the Rareplane He-112 after receiving a couple coats of paint.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Since this is a simple build and I feel this is a pretty decent kit, all of the pieces almost fall together with no issues. I have a very little gap to fill in later in the left wing, forward section of the wing root.

Looks like very little putty is going to be needed. Later after the glue cures, I will start sanding.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Big steps made on this He112, Bob @v1pro
    This must be feeling like a very easy kit compared to the vacu one.

• Profile Photo

John @johnb, yes this one is very easy. I hope to have both done before this year is over.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Very nice kit! As I read He-112 had some technical parameters better as Bf-109 B or C. But Willy Messerschmitt knew Hitler and other fascists better than Heinkel 😉