Rareplane's 1/72 Heinkel He-112 (Spanish Nationalist Air Force)

Started by Bob Torres · 103 · 2 years ago · 1/72, He-112, Rareplane, vacuform
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 5 months ago:

This is my build for this group build. Rareplane's vacuform He-112, released back in 1971. I will used the Spanish National markings from the Print Scale decals "Aces of the Legion Condor" part 2. I will make Oberleutnant Harder's plane.

The He-112 was a German pre-WWII design that was tested during the Spanish Civil War. When the war ended most stayed in Spain. On the 3rd of March 1943, a single Spanish He 112 B managed to damage an American Lockheed P-38 Lightning fighter. Spain eventually used its He 112's up until the 1950s.

The Germans used their He-112 but were replaced by Bf-109's. The He-112 were also used by Romania, Hungary and the Japanese Navy had two.

This will be my second vacuform build, I am looking forward on this build.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some shots of the He-112B with the Spanish Nationalist markings.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

What's better than a He112, two ofcourse, Bob @v1pro
    Looking forward to this one as well.

• Profile Photo

I’ve been eyeing this Rareplane kit for a while. I am also happy on building the Heller kit too. I am hoping to have both made before 2022 starts.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

A vac He-112 in Spanish Nationalist markings: definitely an out of the norm build, that you will tackle with your usual excellence: what is not to like?
    Really looking forward to it, my friend @v1pro!

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Building those vacuform kits is sort of a dying art, Bob @ v1pro ! I’ve never attempted one. The owner of the hobby shop I frequented in the1970s told me “ unless you absolutely have to have that certain airplane , I’d stay away from vacuform models “ . I’ve always remembered that .

• Profile Photo

Spiros @fiveten thanks, I am looking forward on this build.

• Profile Photo

Jay @ssgt, I avoided these vacuform kits until I finally built one last year. I wind up enjoying the build but there were times it felt I was working with an egg shell….I was happy with the end results and I hope this build will end up the same way. Let’s see how this build works out.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Paquette said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Awesome to see a vac kit here!

I just recently got an old Koster Aero Enterprised Vac conversion kit for the Monogram RF-101B to make it an 'A/C' model. I'll be watching this with great interest!

• Profile Photo

Michael I will be starting this near the beginning of December.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Those Rareplanes vacs can be really nice if you take your time with them.

• Profile Photo

Tom @tcinla, yes I agree on the Rareplane builds. I like their fine raised and recessed surface details. Last year I built my first vac-form kit a Republic P-43 Lancer and I really enjoyed it. I hope this He-112 comes out looking like one.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 5 months ago:

That P-43 looks very nice Bob. Hard to believe it's a "first vac."

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Last night I started to work on the He-112 vacu-form kit. I first started by marking the edges with a marker. Cut with a scissor the parts I want to work on, in this case the left side of the fuselage. I taped 500 wet/dry sandpaper on a wooden shelf so I can use this anywhere. I also use tape to be attached to the piece that I will sand which acts as a handle or grippy spot. Add some water on to the sandpaper and start sanding the surface which will be used to glue to the other side of the fuselage. Going in circles does not work at the beginning but it gets easier later on, I normally start in a left-right motion. Stop and look to make sure I am not going too far and continue. I sand until I see the edge on the marked seams starting to thin out and either it just about to fall off or I can easily peel it off with my fingers.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Same procedures for the right side of the fuselage.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.