Rareplane's 1/72 Heinkel He-112 (Spanish Nationalist Air Force)

Started by Bob Torres · 103 · 2 years ago · 1/72, He-112, Rareplane, vacuform
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 5 months ago:

In these shots I am working on the firewall, and then the cockpit rear bulkhead/seat, floor and instrument panel.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 5 months ago:

What type of adhesive, Bob @v1pro, do you use on this type of model ? You’ve gotten the parts trimmed nicely...

• Profile Photo

Hi Jay @ssgt, I use Testors liquid cement but I have to take it easy on it. The styrene is pretty thin so it can cause it to melt pretty easily. I also use super glue, the gel type to set and hold and then I apply the thin liquid super glue.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Nice, very neat job, my friend @v1pro!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great start on the He112, Bob @v1pro
    Never did a vacuum build myself but it looks like a real challenge to get those parts cut out correctly.

• Profile Photo

The main thing on making sure the trimmed parts come out looking neat and correct is using the flat sanding surface, stop and check while sanding and do not go past the marked edges made earlier with the markers. The styrene sheet are pretty thin so it will not take long to have what I want to see. At the end the meeting surfaces for both sides are almost evenly matched. Little filler should be used in these areas later on.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros @fiveten.

John @johnb, yes the vac-form kits does provide some different challenges from the injected model kits. This is a small kit so it should not be a real killer build. This is my second vac-form build so I hope I will enjoy it. I plan to have this completed before 2022 starts.

• Profile Photo

Some shots of the top and bottom seams. The last two shots are comparing with the Heller's He-112 fuselage.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Jay asked me this earlier on what I use to glue the styrene with, I use Testors liquid cement but I have to take it easy on it. The styrene in these 1/72 single engine size planes are pretty thin so it can cause it to melt pretty easily if I apply too much. I also use super glue, the gel type to set and hold and then I apply the thin liquid super glue which sets very fast.

One of my old friends asked me this same question a few months ago, when he found out super glue could be used he went on to build his first vacu-form kit. And he is 62 years old holding on to a kit that he bought some 40 years ago.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here I am going to use Heller's fuselage as a reference so I can add some extra details into the cockpit's sidewall. I also have an RS-Model He-112 that I will use the cockpit floor and rear bulkhead as a reference to add some details my vacu-form build.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I am also going to do some reworking of the engine's radiator; I will reference to my Heller kit. On the last shot I have removed the radiator to start the rework.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

In the following shot is the work I have done for the cockpit, I scratched built the pilot's seat, made a new rear bulkhead and added the rails and headrest. Added some structured items to the floor. And threw in some stretched sprue and cut pieces of styrene to the sidewalls. Last shot I painted a thin coat of aluminum.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Your scratch build results do add a lot of detail to this 112, Bob @v1pro
    Great progress on this, what is seems, not so easy kit.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

What a superb job, my friend @v1pro!
    What a departure already from the "original" kit!

• Profile Photo

Thank you John @johnb and Spiros @fiveten. This is pretty much the same build procedures that I do when I build the older injection mould kits since they also come with little details. I just want to add a little more than what it came with mainly in the cockpit area and in this case the radiator too. Later I might also have to build up the wheel wells too.

It may not look as super detailed like some of the resin or PE after market parts but I can’t really see those small parts to enjoy the build. I enjoy the old scratch building way.