Red Star 1/72 Captured Mig-3 in Romanian Colors

Started by Bob Torres · 37 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 3 months ago:

After a little break, I went on to do some work on my Mig, a little more cleaning up was needed on the seam on the forward part of the engine cowl, cleaned up the canopy's contact surface area on the rear upper spine of the fuselage. I found out I was missing the landing light cover for the left wing. So, I took some clear sprue and cut, filed and glue it into place. Later I will have to file it down more to its correct shape and then polish it.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nice progress on your Mig and nice save on the landing light, my friend @v1pro!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nice preperation work, Bob @v1pro
    Perfect replacement for the landing light.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Filed, sanded and polished the landing light. I used toothpaste, then a little car polish to polish the clear part.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Nice job, my friend @v1pro!

• Profile Photo

I used Vallejo's paints, AMT-4 Cam Green and AMT-7 Greyish Blue.

Like most of my builds, I usually hand paint them in this case thinning down the paint with tap water.

Gloss coat (Future) was applied and this was done with my airbrush.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros @fiveten. Later tonight or tomorrow I will mask the wing tips and tail area for the yellow to get painted on.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great result on the paintwork, Bob @v1pro
    Looking forward to the yellow accents.

• Profile Photo

These last few days I finally had a chance to work on the Mig-3. Here I masked and airbrushed the yellow tamiya paint. It is amazing how the yellow brightens up the looks on this build.

• Profile Photo

The decals instructions and views showed no yellow wing tip on the upper wing surface but looking at the actual photos of this plane I see a lighter paint in that area. Plus the upper wing insignias are inboard of the yellow wing tip area, the decals views displayed them near the wing tips.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I also decided to keep the scheme simple and display my Mig on how it might have looked not too long after it was captured. So, no browns and the Romanian's version of their dark green. The outer wing panels and on the rear fuselage and vertical fin I smudged it with a black oil marker and used a cotton swab to smooth it over the green just to darken it a bit. Then with a brush wet with Future wax I brushed it on the smudged areas to make it look like the weather was trying to remove it slowly.

Then after the Future cured, I applied the decals. These decals went on nicely with no issues, but they are thin.

• Profile Photo

The decals on the rudder went on nicely, the next day after letting the Micro Sol complete its job, I painted the blue/yellow/red areas where the decals did not meet.

I also used my pencil to highlight the panel lines, control surfaces hinge areas and black oil marker to make exhaust and small little streaks. Again, I used the cotton swab to spread it in the correct direction of the airflow.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Two nights ago, I went on to straighten out the blades on the propeller since they were not straight. I ended up ruining them. I was in a rush and used hot air instead of hot water and it only took a split second to change the propeller into a modified screw for a torpedo.

So, I went into my stash to rub the same propeller from an Emhar 1/72 Mig-3 which is the same kit from the Redstar kit. It ended up saving the day for me.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Nice decaling, my friend @v1pro!
    Great that you found a spare prop, even if you had to rob another kit.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great work done on your MiG, Bob @v1pro
    A pitty about the propellor, good you found a 'spare' one.