P-40 over Philipines, Java and Australia & Gilbert Islands ;-)

Started by capt. R · 192 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 5 months ago:

The disadvantage of using polishing paste, despite its unquestionable advantages, is the fact that sometimes it is impossible to remove it perfectly in the grooves of the sheet dividing line.

• Profile Photo

Second attempt to preshiding. I used grey primer

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 5 months ago:

What a great choice in choosing a P-40E kit. Special Hobby has hit the nail on the head when making P-40 kits in 1/72nd.

I built the N model and the kit came with lot of extra's to fit the range of different P-40s they offer. My only niggle and this is my niggle, is that the tires are a little soft and not as sharp as the rest of the kit. I replace my kits wheels with some CMK resin wheels and was happy with the build. The only problem I had with my kit was between the ears. This should be a fun little build Lis. Looking forward to seeing your further adventures in modeling.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle I'm glad that you like my job 🙂 Yes, kit has a lot of extra parts for varius versions. Do you know what fuel tank will be good for E wersion? There are two options of type. I need some putty to fit fuselage. Did you had the same problem? Also very advanced cockpit brings some work to fit armour plate, and I'm not entirely happy with it. maybe the next P-40 will be better, but trust me. I had less gray hair when assembling the P-40 Trumpeter fuselage. Perhaps a much more detailed model raises one's own assessment of work to the master level. I hope I will build next P-40. I purchase set of decals with very atractive painting P-40N in Coral Sand Paint. Plane called Twedde II.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

The preshading looks great, Lis @lis
    Fully agree on the polishing paste, once inside the panel lines it is difficult to remove it.
    I do use a dentist tooth hook which does the job pretty well.

• Profile Photo

@johnb I use a brush with hard bristles. But maybe it is too soft? And the brush does not spoil the painted surface?

• Profile Photo

Some informations about John George Glover:
    https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/22886
    Today I just noticed that the decal with the Australian platypus has the word "Glover" underneath. So the plane # 36 was definitely his.

• Profile Photo

@ssgt @fiveten @stephen-w-towle @johnb Assembling the drop fuel tank requires precise alignment with the mounting holes. I glue at first with extra thin, then I matched, next corect with small drop oc CA in Gel

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 5 months ago:

With little parts come little problems. I did include a Eduard cockpit set to add to some of the insanity or challenge. There where some purple words . I kicked the can down the road with the drop tank. The plan was to us the tank with both ends rounded however, at the end of the project I attached the mounting brackets to the tank and couldn't get them to fit to the fuselage properly. I glued the brackets to the fuselage and called it a day. The prop / boss assembly has a short shaft on my kit. You can't spin the prop unless you provide some brass tubing? I glued my prop to fuselage end. I also, used Eduard masks. The front wind screen on my example was a tad narrow and floats on cockpit combing. Best to start earlier and glue that piece in and fill the gap. The tail wheel is to scale but, fragile. I've left mine off until its time to photograph.

• Profile Photo

From the picture I would say that the placement looks nice, Lis @lis

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Looks great to me as well, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

At last I painted undersurfaces. I like Neutral Grey color. I hope you could seen some faded shades.

• Profile Photo

Looks great, Lis @lis
    Always difficult to see on pictures, but the fading is absolutely visible.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Wonderful looks, my friend @lis!
    I can see the nice fading too!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Nice paintwork going on here, @lis.