USS Arizona

Started by Jay Mitchell · 127 · 2 years ago · Battleship, Pearl Harbor, Revell, USS Arizona
  • Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 5 months ago:

(1915-1941, R.I.P.)

I would like to add the Revell USS Arizona to the projects in this great group build. It was a new tool kit in 1959. My kit is in a box dated 1975. It is in 1/426 scale and is 17 inches long.

After looking at many photographs of the vessel, I’ve decided that the kit most resembles the ship as it was in the early 1930s after it was modernized . I will try to make some alterations to it during the build to make it look more like it in did 1941 before December 7th , when it was destroyed and most of its crew killed , in the surprise attack by Japanese carrier aircraft.

I’m still not sure about the proper color for the wooden deck. I’ve got a book on the USS Ranger, and the deck on it was stained a mahogany color. Battleships may have been the same in the prewar years.

( USS Enterprise)

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great entry Jay! Not the best kit of the Arizona, but I don't know if a "good" kit exists, truly.

As you research, you will find that her color is often a topic of hot debate, mainly due to the fact that the ship may have been in transition still to the latest Navy direction at the time. It may well be best to paint her (Measure 1) overall gray 5-D (prior to '42) verticals (except for 5L above the funnel) and 20B horizontals (think steel decks), save for the teak deck which is natural wood (only the carriers wore the mahogany, iirc), and the number 1, 2, and 4 turret tops which were supposedly red. Some suppose that they may have been in the process of painting her 5N over the 5D, from the waterline up, but mileage will very on such theories.

If you want to really go down the rabbit hole:
    http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12942

This forum, in general, is a fantastic resource if you have the time to really scour through it:
    http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/index.php
    http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/index.php

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Also, this sight will get you in tune with the color naming conventions:
    https://www.shipcamouflage.com/measures.htm

And I can't post naval references for a US ship without also referring you to Navsource:
    http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/39a.htm

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great choice Jay! I am sure you are going to make this rough gem shine in all the right places. I will definitely follow this build!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Excellent entry, my friend @ssgt! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Really looking forward to this amazing kit, Jay @ssgt

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 5 months ago:

It will be a nice build!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for all your help and advice Andrew @pb_legend Iwill check out these links you’ve given me when I have the time.

I may end up painting like it’s shown on the box’s photographs... but I also like the blue with the red topped gun turrets. I found some 1950 Life magazine photos of the wreck, while parts of it where still above water, they were painted dark blue.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the good vibes @mornem, @fiveten, @johnb, and @lis, I appreciate the encouraging words. I will do my best on this ship.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Good luck with this one, good pick by the way for this GB!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Michel @michel-verschuere ! I thought it was the perfect subject to supplement the many great aircraft being built in this group.

Tonight I trimmed some parts off the sprues and sanded down some rough edges. Nothing worth photographing. I also stopped by the LHS and bought some paints. Now I just need time.

• Profile Photo

To celebrate Friday, when I got home from work this evening , I sprayed the deck pieces with Tamiya TS-68 Wooden Deck Tan paint.
    Then I filled a paint roller tray with warm water, added a dash of dish soap , and a pinch of Tamiya XF-68 NATO Brown to make a wash and I gave my newly painted deck a wash in that brown solution. I am pleased with the results.

In the photograph the piece in the center had not yet been given the brown wash. Revell would have that center piece painted a dark blue, as if it were a steel deck. It’s moulded with out any wood planking. From what I’ve seen on the internet, that area was wood. I’m going to hand paint all the details in the deck. I need to get some good pointy brushes for that chore.

I’m glad to have made a little headway on this project. I hope to get some more work on it done this weekend.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Jay @ssgt, nice entry. Looking forward on this build.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 5 months ago:

@ssgt - having been on USN ships with wooden decks, they were a very light tan after they have been scrubbed and salt water soaked and such over many years, as Arizona's deck would have been. I'd use a buff color.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Yep, a wooden deck it is, my friend @ssgt!