USS Arizona

Started by Jay Mitchell · 127 · 2 years ago · Battleship, Pearl Harbor, Revell, USS Arizona
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Definitely a wood effect, Jay @ssgt
    Did you use a normal brush to apply this wash?

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 4 months ago:

great work! I'm wainting for next news šŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks for the info @tcinla, I appreciate it. Iā€™ve been fortunate to visit two battleships (Massachusetts & Alabama ) as well as two destroyers and three subs. Little details such as deck colors have escaped my recollection. I looked at numerous built models and illustrations online, and they were a variety of tans, browns, blues.

• Profile Photo

Hi John @johnb ! I made a bath of the brown wash and dunked the parts in it. In retrospect, I wish it was a little darker.

• Profile Photo

Hi Bob @v1pro, I enjoy old kits like this Arizona... it came out a year before I was born I

• Profile Photo

I read about USS Arizona recently and it turns out that it was no longer the most modern ship. It was a big loss, but some argue that it would be a bigger loss to destroy the cruiser flotilla, which, apart from damaging the USS Helena, and USS Ralegh, did not suffer losses, and their deployment in a large group could destroy as many as four units in one go. tight waterfront. The similar total loss of the USS Utah was not a dramatic loss on the grounds that the ship was old.

• Profile Photo

You are right , @lis, there were more important targets that were overlooked by the attackers in favor of hitting the old battleships. In addition to the cruisers you mentioned, Iā€™ve read that the oil tanks, port facilities , and submarines would have been a better choice of targets. The loss of Arizona and most of its crew was tragic , but with the new battleships of the North Carolina & South Dakota classes then coming in to service, the loss of the Arizona didnā€™t hinder the US war effort much. The aircraft carriers and submarines were to two most important types I think in the pacific war.

• Profile Photo

very interesting vid on YT

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 2 years, 4 months ago:

I like what you have done with the deck. The wash you have applied gives a subtle weathering effect and make details stand out. Well done!

• Profile Photo

Thank you @lis for the two video great videos ! Very informative !

The carnage the Japanese attackers caused was awful, but it could have been much worse. My Uncle was a sailor on the USS Helena that day. He would never say much about his experiences during the war.

About an hour from my house is the US Submarine Batfish. Displayed next to the Batfish is a section of the tripod mast from the USS Oklahoma . The Navy was dredging Pearl Harbor and discovered it in the mud.
    A piece of rusted steel from it fell off and I have it now displayed with a 1940s ā€œRemember Pearl Harbor pinā€.

How a World War Two Submarine ended up in Eastern Oklahoma is an interesting story.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hello MornƩ @mornem ! Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. I think it looks good, but maybe I should have tried to make it darker?

• Profile Photo

@ssgt My great grandfather was sailor on Destroyer, but in Atlantic. PS.This helmet cover is original USMC? I had many of original equipment of infantry from Defender War in 1939.

As far as the film material is concerned, I was completely new to the fact that only 47% of the torpedoes hit, and at least 20% of the 800 kg bombs were defective.

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/USSBatfish(SS-310)

This is this Submarine?

• Profile Photo
  • Profile Photo

@ssgt dont work šŸ™

• Profile Photo

http://www.mikeashey.com/SHIP%20PROJECT%20PDFS/ARTICLE-BATTLESHIP-COLORS-AT-PEARL-HARBOR.pdf

I'm using this information to help paint my Revell USS Arizona. It is a good resource.