Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 148 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Aichi, airbum, Atsua, catapult, conversion, db 601, Empire of Japan, EofJ, EoJ, floatplane, Haldværk, M6A, quarterscale, submarine, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Erik @airbum if I may I would suggest that given the apparent poor placement of the landing wells that you build it in flight pose?

And my two cents about the “pole” you mention in that photo, that is part of some interior piece that is open or just a funnel to pour oil/fuel into some tank. I will see if I can trace a good website I used back during my Seiran build, that has a wealth of information regarding IJAF/IJN gunsights and onboard weapons

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Pedro @holzhamer, that would be really helpful with a link to such a site.

As for the flight pose, I still need to do some work, and I may yet decide to use the white metal legs in the conversion kit, but it certainly is a possibility.

• Profile Photo

I have just been studying the picture Louis uploaded, and as far as I can see the pole is present in that picture too.

• Profile Photo

Take a seat!

the Tamiya 1/72 and the WSW 1/48 conversion does not agree on the seating

And this layout will be crucial to how the instructor is placed in the aircraft, as I explained on the previous page. I decided to do a bit of trial and error, and tape-assembled the fuselage with both interiors.

First the Tamiya way as used in the 1/72 example

That poor rear-seater will not be able to see a thing during the flight, let alone during taxi, even with the hood open IMHO.

Next the WSW gets installed. It is a marked improvement on the Tamiya position.

Now he can see the whole world (just about)

Next question; will he be able to close the hood – it slopes quite a bit.

Indeed –now he can stay warm AND see the world. That is where I shall locate him.

next up some more about those darned wheelwells

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Nice approach, my friend @airbum!
    When things diverge, using commonsense is not a bad idea!
    Eagerly waiting for your landing gear solution!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros.

Does anyone out there have the Monogram bookazine on the Aichi Seiran? If so I would love to get a scan of it (I could buy one on ebay, but they are throught the roof, and will be charged a LOT when passing through customs in DK.

• Profile Photo

Erik @airbum if I may I would suggest that given the apparent poor placement of the landing wells that you build it in flight pose?

And my two cents about the “pole” you mention in that photo, that is part of some interior piece that is open or just a funnel to pour oil/fuel into some tank. I will see if I can trace a good website I used back during my Seiran build, that has a wealth of information regarding IJAF/IJN gunsights and onboard weapons

• Profile Photo

Thanks Pedro (@holzhamer) - I think you may have postet this before, but the system is having hiccups. Just to recapture, I will also be considering just fillig the wing and scribe some lines, but they did not have a door, and a wheel will have to be added. A few thoughts on the wheelbays comin right up next.

• Profile Photo

a bit more on the wells

the Tamiya 1/72 and the WSW 1/48 conversion does not agree on the layout of the wheelwells

I have been checking the whitemetal legs, and they are actually rather nice. I will have to learn a new skill – yeah! Or just slaughter a Judy! (perhaps a resin copy – yet another new skill – yeah!) Or scratchbuild the lot?

Here’s a look at the different parts; first a look at the white metal leg laid out on the Seiran wing.

It would clearly fit nicely.

I got hold of a Judy from my very local hobbyshop next door, and here it is compared with the Seiran

Fits like a glove in the available space.

And compared with the resin Nanzan

Way off!

And how does Tamiya think it shall look in their 1/72 offering

Well, just about right I think. The way forward is still a few days away, as I am going back to work for another 7 day stint, but perhaps the evenings will have a few minutes at the bench.

Oh yes, old hands may wonder if there wasn’t another conversion by a company called Karo-AS.

Yes there was – and it is the excact same as the WSW, only reboxed but with the old decals in the box!

Do let me have your comments – all is taken into consideration!

• Profile Photo

Sorry about that repetition Erik @ airbum
    No idea has to why that happened but we all notice that the system isn't working properly for some time now 🙁

Found that website about Japanese onboard weapons; IPs, gunsights and other miscellaneous stuff : http://gunsight.jp/b/index.htm

Too bad that wheel pit is off the mark, any corrections I can think off are beyond what I would consider, but you can certainly think of others or have the will to try such challenging work. Good luck mate

• Profile Photo

Pedro, no worries @holzhamer, and thank you for the link - looks very interesting! Having just seen the terrific Pilatus in headlines, this conversion will be a walk in the park - right?

• Profile Photo

LqS strikes again!

In order to prepare a few bits, the Liquified Styrene came out

One obvious item to address were the two holes for the ladder for the floatplane.

There are also some holes for the steps, but these will be scratchbuild to make them more scale like.

While the LqS was in action, the radiator got a layer – It will most likely not be all that noticeable, but now it is done.

And the floor for the instructor was roughed out.

That is about it for now, but just one last look at the resin-kit conversion wing

Louis asked to it earlier, and this is just to illustrate how hefty it is. No wonder it is an expensive conversion with these amounts of resin!

I am as I said a bit pressed for building time the next days, but be assured some minor bits will be done behind the scenes every now and then

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Man, you certainly decided to tackle a tough project, but I have faith in you! (by the way, if you need a home for that 1/72 kit when you're done doing research... 😉 )

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros (@fiveten).
    Greg (@gkittinger), not all that difficult - just some alternate ways of assembly 😀
    Who knows if I will be able to find room for that 1/72 in the stash after the build or if it will have to find a new home - you just never know.