Nakajima Ki84-1 Hayate (Frank) 1/48 Hasegawa

Started by Eric Berg · 57 · 3 years ago · Hasegawa, Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate (Frank)
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks to Louis for inviting me earlier this year to join this build. Would you believe I have only one IJN aircraft in my collection? Tamiya's A6M5 Zero that was issued back in 2008, a great kit. this group build will get me off my arse to build a second IJN fighter, this time the venerable1/48 Nakajima Frank by Hasegawa. This will give me a chance to brush up on my chipped paint skills. This looks to be a fine kit.
    Look! I've already started! And it's only my first post.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Eric @eb801!
    What a great start!
    This is an amazing plane and I've heard very positive comments about the Hasegawa kit.
    Looks you are a fast builder. If so, we will admire your chiipping paint results soon.
    Welcome on board!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Having seen other models from you here on imodeler, I will be tuned in on this build - looking forward to it too Eric! @eb801

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

This is a great kit.
    I built mine 10 years ago.
    I built the flaps up - I removed the internal detail on the wing so that the flaps fitted - and cut off the flap lever in the cockpit and moved it forward (Hasegawa has cleverly molded it in the rear, flaps deployed position to match the deployed flaps).
    The kit uses grommets to mount the landing gear which leads to vague alignment.
    I broke one leg twice and had to pin and glue it back on.
    I believe parts L16 and L17 to be museum installed wheel locks and have not seen them in any pictures of the aircraft, so leave them off.
    Be careful of the upper wing insignia as they need to conform over the aileron control mechanism.
    My right decal split but I saved the build by removing the portion of insignia from the upper and lower aileron surfaces, re-sprayed and called it a replacement due to battle damage!

Good luck with your build, I look forward to following your progress.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

You're absolutely welcome Eric, @eb801
    I'm happy that you have decided to join in on the madness ! You picked a great kit to start out with. Judging by the picures you have already made some good progress. I'll be looking forward to your next installment...

I have that same kit in the stash, and I will definitely be watching how yours comes along, so I can "borrow" any little pointers you may have about building it. Since it's a Hasegawa kit, chances are you will not run into any problems along the way. Their stuff builds up nicely right out of the box.

and once again, welcome aboard my friend.

Michael, @michaelt
    Your Hayate looks fantastic !

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the tips Michael Turner.

So which way does that flap lever go - forward?

Your build looks great by the way.

• Profile Photo

Spiros ...Thanks for the encouragement. I’m finishing up another build, or trying to. Now I’ve got two going at once so we’ll see how far I get on the Hayate.

• Profile Photo

As of Sunday here's the progress so far

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Very nicely detailed cockpit there Eric!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Agree with @airbum: this is a stunning cockpit, Eric @eb801!

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys. I cheated and used a Ultracast seat which is a huge improvement over the kit piece. Not sure if the cockpit colors are accurate but I don’t think it matters. Now I have to figure out which way to go with a worn chipped paint job.

• Profile Photo

By the way the Hasegawa’s cockpit detail is quite good as is, so there’s no need for any aftermarket stuff other than replacement consideration of the seat. So far this kit has been a pleasure to work on. No problemas.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Great work on the cockpit, Eric. The throttle quadrant and seat/seat belts look particular nice.

• Profile Photo

That you Colin.

• Profile Photo

Not making much progress as I am going to be sidetracked for a while with knee surgery this week and it will be a while before I can resume. Meanwhile here's where i am as of Sunday the 12th. I sprayed the entire plane with Alclad light grey primer and then went over it it with aluminum and added the yellow. I pre-shaded it with Tamiya Nato Black acrylic and stuck the almost finished prop on just for yuks. Next up it is to apply some Mig liquid mask over the aluminum where I want chipping to be and then I will start working on the overall paint job. Might be a couple of weeks until the next progress report.