Shiden-Kai shelf of doom rescue 2

Started by Bill Koppos · 30 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hi @billkoppos!
    Your Kai looks magnificent.
    Speaking about space, the only magic word I am aware of is: "basement"; that can be locked, no unwanted entrances allowed...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Bill,
    You definitely have been a busy builder lately. I'm having a hard time just keeping up with your posts ! I agree with Spiros, as your Kai is looking fantastic. I especially like how you have sprayed on the markings instead of relying on the decals.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Spiros, thanks for the compliments. Louis, you will be better able to keep up soon, just got word going back to full time next week. Coronacation, that great modeling enabler, is over.

• Profile Photo

Coronacation... That was funny. Stay safe my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Flaring out on final approach...At the fiddly bits stage.

Final decals were put on, victory marks and stencilling. Flatcoating has been done, not without drama. As I set it on the bar-b-que grill top to do the last wingtip, over she went. This Shiden flies about as well as the type 97 tank. One of the landing gear legs was sitting on the grill top, I was terrified to look down. Amazingly, all it suffered was the one broken leg, a loose engine, and a few minor paint chips. I couldn't believe my fortune, I thought this one was getting binned. So after my heart rate slowed, I went back and drilled the leg strut for some wire reinforcement, and went through the top of the wing.

Modelling is fun...modelling is fun...

ANYWAY, she's repaired. On to the bits. There is a wooden headrest behind the cockpit, painted this in my best woodgrain to match walkaround pictures. Note: According to the Shiden-Kai Bible, "Genda's Blade", the Shiden never had pilot armor as is often stated. No captured examples had it, and pilots interviewed said it only had the wood box. That might go a ways to explaining the high aircraft to pilot loss ratio. nothing was there to stop those nasty .50 bullets except a bullet resistant glass panel behind the windscreen, and the engine. I guess they just did not want that weight. Poor trade, IMHO.

The gunsight is made up and painted, here you can see the armorglass pane. I see from the flash pics I have to knock back the shading some. Finally getting the canopy parts glued on, good old Elmer's white glue does it for me. The drop tank is next, painted and weathered and hooked up for a long mission.

So what's left? Antennas, pitot tubes, little light bulbs, some paint chipping, like that. Oh and gotta get her armed. I have a set of metal 20mm barrels for it, but they look too skinny and small, have to decide on this. Sayonara.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That paint work looks brilliant, Bill! I really love the subtle gradations in the green thanks to your pre-shading technique. I also admire your perseverance under pressure. I thought I was having bad luck with the niggling paint problems on my Betty! I am very happy that you got your Shiden Kai fixed after the BBQ debacle. I have had similar things happen while photographing models on my deck in moderately windy conditions. Some models just seem to want to take wing on you. Anyway, your repaired project looks as if nothing happened - a testament to your modeling skills and not merely luck.

I just got my canopy masks for my Shiden Kai from eBay so I will be back to work on that soon. I am going to try Vallejo acrylic metalizers for the underside and for an undercoat topside to aid chipping effects. Since I am doing Kanno's plane, I can't avoid the paint wear effects. Thanks for providing inspiration and a project i can really learn from. I can't wait to see it finished.

• Profile Photo

Bill, @billkoppos
    As I was reading this, and I got to the point where it went on it's BBQ maiden test flight, my heart rate jumped too ! Boy you sure did a fine job fixing it up... and the cockpit work looks spectacular. Even the wooden bod head rest looks wonderful. Keep it up, your approaching the home plate now... and boy does it look good.

Colin, @coling
    Have you made any more progress on your G4M ? Also I would really like to see how you build Kanno's plane. Your builds are always super detailed as well...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Bill @billkoppos.
    Glad your recovery actions brought your -Kai to its preflight condition status.
    Totally agreing with @coling and @lgardner, it looks really superb!
    Off to the finish line now!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Now, working in a tower, I were horrified to hear that he took off without proper approval! Very nice recovery, version 2!

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Felina! (recognize that, Breaking Bad people?) Best finale ever from the best show ever. Anyway this is my finale, less spectacular for sure, but the Shiden-Kai is done.

Hasegawa makes it so easy to do a nice looking model. Only screw-ups here were self-inflicted ones. I didn't end up adding much, did some engine detailing, added an Eduard seat harness and some really nice Master Barrel type 99 20mm cannon barrels. What I as really happy with was the paint job, I tried to do the "marbling" technique, as seen on "Scale-a-ton's" You tube channel, and this is my way of doing things from now on. It really gives that varied-tone effect we have been looking for, really helps on a one-color paint scheme. Also discovered I'm still searching for the perfect glosscoat, one that won't "pebble" a nice smooth finish. Next we try Mr. color clear, with their self-leveling thinner.

Also I found that Maketar Masks are very good, and since I ended up doing the damn canopy twice, found Montex Masks work well to, even though they don't look like they will. And they victory (kill markings) decal they give you worked well too.

Building this I leaned heavily on the book "Genda's Blade" an excellent reference on the 343rd Kokutai I bought years ago. Actual full pictures of Shiden-Kais are not that common, for instance I have never seen an actual photo of the machine I built, no. 11. Profiles show the 16 victory marks on this one, and one pilot in the book (herefore referred to as "GB") mentioned it, so...also I only put it on one side, as I believe that kind of thing would not be done on both sides. Pure guesswork...

343-11, from squadron S301, (Shinsen-Gumi, "Elite Guard Unit") was flown by CPO Choichi Sugita, a high-scoring Ace, and others. According to GB, "assigned" planes were swapped about a lot. Sugita was killed, as was his wingman, on April 15, 1945, trying to take off during an air raid. He could not have been using No. 11 as GB has it being used by others later on, in May and June.

Speaking of the pilots of S-301, When I was attending the IPMS Nationals in Orlando, 2012, Zoukie-Mura had just released their 1/32 Raiden kit. At their booth they had some accessories, one of them being "Band of Wingmen", a group of 4 IJN pilots doing a Sake toast. 'Spensive, but had to have it. (If you have never been to an IPMS Nats, I highly advise it, the stuff you can find there will overload you for sure). So finally the band of wingmen see action.

It seems that Shiden means "Violet Lightning". As a neck muffler was standard flying equipment, one of S-301's astute types came up with the idea of Violet Mufflers. According to GB, silk was hard to get at the time (I think everything was) but they managed to come up with 20 something of them, made by one of the local ladies. Sugita's section of 4, Kasai, Miyazawa, and Tamura, all had embroidery on them stating "Smile sweetly and shoot him down without fail". Miyazawa was the one that died at Sugita's wing. Kasai and Tamura survived the war, Kasai giving quite a few insights to GB's Authors.

Soooo long ago I decided I would give my flyboys Violet mufflers, boy that bottle of Vallejo Violet has been sitting in the drawer a looooong time, but it was finally used. BTW, once again I must request you don't look to closely at the figure's faces, I will NEVER master that skill. Squint a bit please.

So that's it. I am going to try and finish up the type 97 tank, but I have other irons in the fire and, we'll see. Thanks for your interest.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Off to the hedlines, Bill!

• Profile Photo

I lied about the finale, this is a finale to the finale. I have a book purchased years ago, "Aviator Uniforms and Equipment of IJN" . A beautifully illustrated book with pictures of everything used by IJN aviators, uniforms, radios, insignia, boots, helmets etc. Every detail. All in Japanese. At least I can look at the pictures. Anyway included was a big map of lower Japan, I guess it is a navigator's map as it has all kinds of grids and points on it. I wanted to put a few shots of the Shiden on it as a backround and forgot. Here's a couple. Kyushu on the left.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Your "finale to the finale" is great, Bill.
    Really nice pics!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Really looks terrific . I’m going to try some of your paint and marking techniques on my 1:48 Hayate build. Those flyboys in purple are also stand alone impressive! What a finale!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric, look forward to your Ki-84. And thanks to all who followed my lil' saga. It's good to be in such talented company.