Kinetic 1/48 FMA IA-58A Pucará - Finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 143 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Great update, my friend @eb801!
    About the sanded tires middle pattern, not to worry: it is how tires wear, so these are some nicely worn/used tires!
    The Pucara model you shared is amazing!
    Have a nice family vacation!
    Looking forward to see you back here!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years ago:

Thanks for the comments Spiros and Colin.
    Yeah, these tires look okay after all.
    Back with new updates in a couple of weeks.

• Profile Photo

ALMOST BLEW IT!
    Yeah, I screwed up and wasn't paying close attention to Kinetic's poorly written instructions. (Great excuse right?) Turns out you can build two versions of the Pucara - the A variant which was used in the Falklands or the 90's upgraded D variant represented here in Uruguayan Air Force livery. But this is not clearly spelled out in the kit instructions. Both are listed as A/D. So heads up!

Anyway liquid styrene to the rescue! My first time trying it and it works like a champ. I reversed all my mistakes and now I am ready to continue with the build. I guess you could say "good save"!

I am waiting for a set of RES-Kit wheels as they just showed up at Sprue Brothers and are a vast improvement over kit two piece wheels and I couldn't say no.

Meanwhile I have decided to model my Pucara based on the history and photos of A-532 whose flight time ended nose down and picked apart on the side of the base runway.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Welcome to the wonderful world of LqS! it is a nice thing to use as long as you take a little care not to use a lot, or at least let it cure before sanding. Several thin layers work wonders for me.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

That's a good choice, @eb801.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looking great, my friend @eb801!

As our friend @airbum said, using a lot of it at one round, may deform the surounding area. Yours looks great, though I should keep an eye at the area, the following days (just to be absolutely sure no shrinkage will take place, compromising the smooth contour there, being positively noticeable usually after painting, oh my! Anyway, if some occurs the following couple of days, just putty and sand).

Love the chosen scheme!

Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

TC: I think so. I will save the history of 532, thanks to Pablo Calcaterra, for when I reach the finish line and headline post it.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 11 months ago:

MOVING TO THE PAINT SHOP, Pt. 1

After quite a spell away from the workbench, I finally got around to priming the Pucará and getting it ready for the paint shop.

In the meantime, I discovered that the this version of the Pucará had a central armored windscreen panel that was armored and tinted a green-blue but not mentioned in Kinetic’s rather poor instructions. Despite studying online color reference photos, the transparent blue-green which has to be custom mix is hard to dial in without a lot of retries to get it looking satisfactory. Rather than leave well enough alone after already gluing the windscreen an place, I went for it. In the process the newly tinted center panel developed obvious “stress marks” which totally blows my entire attempt at doing this. I have no idea how this happened unless I held the piece with too much pressure in my fingers while working on it. But persevere I must, while trying to procure a replacement part from Kinetic, which I think may be impossible.

First I sprayed the canopy frame with Tamiya dark grey to match the cockpit interior:

Following this, I hit the Pucará with Alclad2 grey primer with a little lite sanding as needed between coats. All ready to go for the next step which is to spray the undersides aluminum.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I HIT THE BRAKES
    Due to my daughter’s emergency brain surgery (she lives in Central America with her Costa Rican husband, where my wife and I are now), all my modeling activities are on hold for the time being.

The good news is, our daughter is now on the long road to recovery after three hair raising weeks in the hospital - A total miracle!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Eric, that is both bad and good news all in one. Glad to hear that a succesful surgery has taken place, and best wishes for the recovery!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi, my friend @eb801!
    Your daughter's recovery is the best of news! Poor her that she faced such a thing...
    This must have been three extremely difficult weeks for all of you. With a long recovery ahead, but with the absolute joy that she is with you, after her successful operation, I wish you all the best, be courageous and all will go well.
    Take care, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Erik and Spiros for your kind and supporting words. Our daughter is recovering faster than we ever imagined. One of the advantages of being young and in great physical shape! One more surgery to go in three weeks.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Eric, I am so happy to hear that the outcome for your daughter is promising after such frightening news. As a father of a teenage girl, I can't imagine anything that would affect me more. Godspeed your daughter on the road to full recovery.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Colin. I just came across your note. All is much better now and she is improving so much that I can now resume modelling once again. Whew!

• Profile Photo

Back on the Job[/]
    It’s been awhile since I last worked on the Pucará or anything, so in order to prime myself back into modeling, I decided to jump ahead and construct the various external weapons that would be used on the under wing hard points. I made the Mk. 81 bombs and MER rack and the LAU-3 rocket launcher pods from Hasegawa’s boxings of various aircraft weapons: A & B. Constructing, painting and decaling all these parts required much assembly line work and took quite a few hours from start to finish, but well worth the trouble as the Kinetic kit has no external stores to speak of other than two sizes of gas tanks.

Now it’s back to the final paint shop and camouflage time.