Kinetic 1/48 FMA IA-58A Pucará - Finished!

Started by Eric Berg · 143 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Whenever I need a mask I also prefer kabuki tape ones. Thank you for sharing the experiment!

The plane looks very nice with the masks off and the nav-lights added.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @eb801! Thanks for info on the hi-temp tape.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Main Landing Gear in Place

I'm going to back up here a bit and address something I forgot to mention prior to painting and attaching the flaps. The kit flap parts come with thin actuating rods already attached. Believe me, these will break off immediately so cut these guys off right away and get it over with. I dug out their re-attachment points a bit with a knife so the rods would have something to stick to later on. By the way, this kit is designed for the flaps to be posed in the down position only.

Once the flaps were glued in place, I cut some short pieces of .64mm Evergreen rod with 45º cut ends and glued them to replace those I had previously cut off and tossed away. I painted these aluminum. E-Z! As you can see in the next photo.

Now the main landing gear is now in place, after knocking off all the little fiddly parts I had already attached in the process. Lesson learned - add this stuff at the end of the build!

Now I have a BIG problem. The support arm strut part that holds up the front nose gear disappeared on me. Could be due to a brain fart or that darned carpet monster again. I'm sure it will turn up. If not, I will have to scratch build a replacement.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Shaping up to be a beautiful build, Eric. I love that underside color. Bummer about the nose gear. I am sure it will appear - maybe when you least expect it (that's my usual experience, anyway). On the other hand, scratch-building a replacement is not out of the question. I have had to do the same myself in a variety of builds (just fabricated a complex piece for the cockpit of my SM. 79 last week). BTW, I put any tiny loose parts in closed containers as much as possible - like small transparent plastic boxes from craft stores or even boxes made from shrink wrapping. Lately I've even used zip lock bags. At least the parts are not skidding around in the bottom of the kit box.

• Profile Photo

@coling - I find those tiny plastic salsa cups with lids that they hand out at taquerias and pizza huts work great for storing parts and you can use a Sharpie on the lids. I know exactly what you mean about finding that missing part as soon as you go to all the trouble to make a replacement. Never fails.

• Profile Photo

Nice approach on the flap actuating rods, my friend @eb801! Hope you'll find the missing part.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great work, Eric @eb801.
    Those final stages of modelling are critical ones, especially for those fragile parts.
    Hopefully the carpet monster is friendly enough to hand the piece back to you.

• Profile Photo

Lady Luck Shines Down on Me
    @coling, @fiveten, @johnb - I got down on my hands and knees with a flashlight and I found the missing strut piece behind my light table wedged between the carpet and the wall baseboard. Intuition helped as well. Always pays to mentally backtrack, doesn't it? All is good now!

Onward!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 3 months ago:

That's great, Eric! So glad you found it. Now you can get this one done properly with nothing to slow you down.

• Profile Photo

Great that you found your missing piece, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo

A successful rescue mission, Eric @eb801

• Profile Photo

Landing Gear and Wheels Finished

The latest progress started with all the nose gear and main gear installed. All the parts fit like a dream.
    Next I attached the ResKit wheels and installed the nose wheel covers.

Then i went to work on the main gear well covers beginning with the port side first. Here is where Kinetic made an error in the instructions regarding installing the main covers. Just reverse parts C4 and C5 x 2. It's pretty obvious.

Note the level of detail in the wheel wells. The fit is awesome. Kudos to Kinetic!

And just for grins, here's the Pucará standing up for the first time. Next up: weapons.

• Profile Photo

Amazing so far, my friend @eb801!
    Bays look wonderful!

• Profile Photo

Indeed, very detailed wheel wells, Eric @eb801
    Looks wonderful.

• Profile Photo

Weapons Loaded

I am slowly working on attaching the weapons payload to the pylons. Kinetic's instructions are useless providing no clue where the central plyon goes and also the kit's two TER racks or any weapon locations so some internet research is required. Kinetic provides no bombs or LAU's, so I used Hasegawa's aircraft weapons set A & B. It's slow going here to get things just right and not wipe out the landing gear in the process. Hasegawa's racks were not designed to fit the Pucará but with a little ingenuity, I made them adapt close enough. I still have three more Mk 82's to attach followed by hooking up the bottom fuselage antenna. Getting closer to the finish line now. Nothing to point out or whine about as this kit does go together smoothly from the get go.