Roden 1/48 Gladiator I

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 115 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Gladiator, Gloster, Roden, Valeriy Grygorenko
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Mini exhausts attached circumferentially, all 18 of them 🙂 ...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 1 month ago:

The usual amazing @fiveten performance on display here.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Spiros what our your plans for camouflaging your Gladiator? Will it be Silver or Green and Brown? I don't want to replicate your efforts.

• Profile Photo

I will go for the silver option K8036 using the kit decals, as it stood in Palestine during the Arab revolt, my friend @stephen-w-towle!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Wow, rapid progress in just a few days, Spiros. I like what you did with the engine, especially adding the supports from stretched sprue. That is some nice detail that the kit provides with the 18 mini-exhausts. I have both the Gladiator and the Sea Gladiator in my stash. No time to do them now but great to have your build guide for when I do.

That is a bold move to do the rigging in stretched sprue. I wouldn't have the nerve, given its fragility. I have heard some modelers say that they attach the sprue a bit slack, then tighten it up by putting a cigarette or hot match head close to the thread without touching it. I've ever done it myself but read about it in ship modelers' sites.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Saw a really nice 32nd scale Gladiator at the big local model show - Heritagecon - in Hamilton (Toronto area). Maybe the pics could provide some inspiration. Beautiful model. One of the nicest Gladiators I have seen in any scale.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. Only had my iPad.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @coling! Indeed, stretched sprue can tighten with those tricks! However, stretched sprue gives you some "interesting" times due to its fragility...
    Those are wonderful pics! What a gorgeous Gladiator!

• Profile Photo

The cowling lip (which is actually the exhaust collector ring) has two "notches" at 3 and 9 o'clock, that are not represented by the kit. They were replicated by carefully removing some material with my mini files. The exhausts and collector ring were also painted and the engine is ready. Where she is...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 1 month ago:

@coling - that indeed is a gorgeous Gladiator you photographed, Colin. And Spiros @fiveten, it looks like yours will be as well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Nice work on the cowling, Spiros @fiveten
    The notches came out nicely.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Kirwan said 2 years, 1 month ago:

That is coming along very nicely @fiveten
    I have this kit in the stash and am getting itchy fingers just reading your build.
    Looking forward to seeing the rest.