How can I simulate wood…….

Started by Cricket · 16 · 5 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

@jagmkx @eb801 @j-healy @faraomike @pb_legend @airbum @fis3 @1001 @ssgt @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder @coondog @billkoppos @atjoe @impisi @dion-dunn

What colors do I need…..also what colors can I mix to get flesh color?

Thanks 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

I’m no expert, @bikequeen, but for wood I usually start with Flat Earth then mix in other colours such as red and yellow to try and get the effect I’m after. As for flesh colours there are many experts on this site who should be able to help.

• Profile Photo
    Dion Dunn said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

That depends. Are you simulating Oak, Cedar, Mahogany, Birch……..😂

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge thanks George its a caricature so its not critical

• Profile Photo

@dion-dunn. Not helpful…..LOL

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi Cricket (@bikequeen): For generic wood, I usually use some tan or light brown acrylic for the base layer, and then use some dark brown artist oils. After the tan is dry, paint the pattern you want using the oils. Let the oils dry for 20-30 minutes and use thinner to lightly blend the pattern. Be sure to use acrylic for the base layer, or it will react with the thinner for the oils.

I have never been good creating flesh colors. Vallejo, along with several other manufacturers, make several flesh colors that you might use.

Cheers

• Profile Photo

@gblair. I was hoping to mix color I already have it doesn’t have to be real accurate because it’s a caricature….i will reveal the subject later this week 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi my friend @cricket!
    I usually use two colors, one of lighter brown shade, which I first apply all over the "wood" area, then do the "streaks" wth the darker brown shade and a fine brush, not being too even in my application

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Same approach here, Cricket @bikequeen
    Apply a light brown color first and with an old rough brush applying dark brow streaks.

• Profile Photo

@johnb @fiveten @gblair thanks everyone! Thats kind of the approach I was thinking of using! I got a surprise kit coming Friday…..it should be fun 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Clint Miller said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi Cricket, I'm fairly new to iModeler. Spiros's method is spot on. I base coat the piece I'm going to woodgrain with an tan or light brown acrylic color of my choice, then use a darker tan or brown oil paint and wipe a very thin film of that over the acrylic base and let that dry, (it takes a while) then using a corse stiff bristle brush and drag more oil paint over that. you'll get a pretty convincing woodgrain effect. I fine tune it after with a smaller brush before it dries. Or there's the other way I did it on my Albatross DIII all with acrylics. There was an article in Ming Air Modeler magazine on the tequniek. I think that works well too. I have the colors and brand of paunt listed in my post. Good luck I'm sure you'll do great.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

I’ve only done wood grain a couple of times but basically the same as @fiveten except I use three colors. Base color painted solid. Use a fan brush to “streak” the light and dark. It’s very easy to overwork so practice on sheet styrene to get the feel.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

@bikequeen - Hey Cricket, my 2 cents... wood is a subjective color as someone already pointed out. Any range of tan / brown tones can be wood really. I think what matters the most is the texture. All wood has a lighter and darker ring pattern. If you start with a mid tone tan / brown for the base and do some streaking with a darker color, it will look like wood. Scale matters too, smaller scales need a pretty fine grain pattern.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

@bikequeen - Here's my basic process quick and dirty... Base color, thin lines with darker color, thin lines with base color, back and forth until it's good and the lines 'feel' thin enough. Then wash with a tone to get everything to work together. The sample image is quick, no real back and forth to clean up the lines, just to show the idea... hopefully.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@curtisshawk @coondog @brithebuilder THANKS everyone! I got the idea! Thanks for the visual aids Brian ; )