Sharpening stones

Started by Cricket · 7 · 6 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Cricket said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

@jagmkx @eb801 @j-healy @faraomike @pb_legend @airbum @fjs3 @ij001 @ssgt @fiveten @anthonyricco @gblair @chinesegeorge @johnb @brithebuilder

I used to be a Tool and Die Maker Apprentice (trying to follow in my dad’s footsteps). I injured my back trying to prove to the “men” i could do the work…haha…..The state paid for rehab by offering me training for a new trade so I chose watchmaking and got to stay in NYC for 18 months. I learned a lot and mostly how to drink ;). But I digress 🙂

I had a sharpening stone 1/2 by 1/2 by 4 inches that followed me forever and over the years I misplaced it so I looked on Amazon to replace it. All they had was cheap Chinese c**p (no offense @chinesegeorge). They had one Norton stone and it was 20 bucks with tax (10% here ).

So I bought it. Then I thought I’ll try Ebay. I got all these for 30 bucks and they are seasoned. I’m pumped, now I can sharpen my tweezers and cutters 🙂

The one on the right has a home made wood case and is super fine grit

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

Sadly most of out blades are supposed to be thrown out after use, but I had the good fortune to buy some scalpel blades that can be sharpened. For now I have been doing it with my sanding/polishing sticks, but I plan on using a proper sharpening station once I get hold of some stones.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

Nice assortment, my friend @bikequeen!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

Looks like a really nice set, Cricket @bikequeen
    Definitely need some improvement on my tools.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

Nice selection, Cricket (@bikequeen). When I was in Boy Scouts many years ago I would use a stone to sharpen my knives, but now I always use disposable blades. I will occasionally renew the sharpness of an Exacto blade by using some of my fine sanding sticks.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

@airbum @gblair @johnb @fiveten. Thanks everyone i dont bother with sharpening exacto blades i have about 50 of them. The biggest problem I have with them is when they roll off the table and stick tip down, of course, in the floor and break the tip off. I have also bought Tamiya’s hobby knife which is made by Olfa (Japan) the blades are so much better than exacto, exacto just doesnt seem to hardened like they used to be.

And my tweezer are vintage, some of them over 50 years old and worth anywhere from 30 to 40 bucks these days, most are Swiss made. And my side cutters dont seem to hold the edge so now I can sharpen them too

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 months, 4 weeks ago:

Interesting article, Cricket @bikequeen, but even if I had those stones I wouldn’t know how to use them. We have some old guys who come round on their bicycles with grinding wheels and sharpen your kitchen knives and scissors but I’ve never thought of asking them to sharpen my scalpel blades.