Two 1/32 scale Revell of Germany P-51-D5 Mustang builds. One as ”Cripes a Mighty 3rd” and ”LOU IV”

Started by Louis Gardner · 366 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Interesting work on figuring out the colors, Louis (@lgardner). This paint scheme is really more complicated than it initially appears. Looking forward to the new paint.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

I'm late for the party again. The green tail paint or British green. . . It looks like they applied it over the Blue paint. Lou from the portside it looks like from the top of the C going back to the horizon stabs the Green is fresher/ newer than the Blue. Great work. 4yrs and 11 month. The older you get the faster time goes. But with time and a little more experience like a good wine things get better.My lament I I've got the kit but don't have the time. For now.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

I have some bad news and some good.

The bad news is that I ended up having a reaction between the various paints that were used for the invasion stripes and the bare metal on the rear of the fuselage. It had to be caused from my use of the Molotow chrome followed up with some acrylic lacquer that was sprayed on top of it.

That’s the bad news.

The good news is that this made me strip the paint off the fuselage and the upper portions of the horizontal stabilizers. In doing that it also revealed the foil was flawed in several areas.

I wanted this model to be as close to perfect as I can get. I had no choice but to strip off everything on the fuselage from the cockpit to the tail.

I also carefully removed the radiator air scoop.

More good news is that the Molotow chrome came off SO quickly. I carefully used some cotton Q tip buds and some paper towels that were moistened with some Mr Color Leveling Thinner. In a little while the plastic was clean and smooth looking great.

I learned that it also worked well for removing the leftover adhesive from the bare metal foil.

So now I have figured out how to finally tackle the 1/48 AMT Douglas A-20 kit that was stalled for many years after the foil mysteriously started bubbling up on a few panels. So I’m calling this a win.

Then I got busy with reapplying some new foil on the fuselage. I still need to cover the wing root areas because I want to chip the paint in this area a little and reveal the bare metal underneath.

The rear of the fuselage will need some more foil added too. Thankfully it will be fairly easy to do since it’s going to be somewhat flat and not have many compound curves.

I have a good idea of what needs to be done and now I have a plan on how to get this taken care of.

So please check in again soon because I will have some more updates coming up.

As always comments are encouraged. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Still some good news after the bad news, Louis @lgardner
    For sure this model will become a perfect one.
    I have always been impressed by modelers applying this foil so beautifully.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Awesome that, through a mishap, you solved a "mystery", my friend @lgardner! Great job so far!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

The new finish looks great, Louis (@lgardner). It's a shame so much had to be stripped and redone, especially in this scale. I have never used Molotow or foil, and now I am not in any hurry to start.