Two 1/32 scale Revell of Germany P-51-D5 Mustang builds. One as ”Cripes a Mighty 3rd” and ”LOU IV”

Started by Louis Gardner · 366 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Louis , what a great show , I am really enjoying ! And a clever designed/money worth kit as well . Please , keep coming !

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 4 years, 7 months ago:

I just saw this, Louis. Yow. Unreal dedication and skills at work. Amazing!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 7 months ago:

You're right, there is no way I would attempt to make my own tread pattern on wheels. If it takes more than dragging a saw blade or hobby knife through the old tread pattern to restore the treads, I probably wouldn't consider it. Looking forward to seeing how they look when completed. They look great so far. You will have to share your technique for uniformly cutting the small pieces of tread in a hexagon.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words.

As far as the tread pattern, I might w**p out and go with the resin set from Barracuda cast. They are very nice looking, and it will give me more time to get other things done.

The jury is still out on the decision though. I have not committed to the purchase yet. I was simply thinking about the time involved ... that's all.

Today I finished up the props for both Mustangs... They were painted when I had the assembly line fired up and running...
    Here are the propellers ready for painting.

I painted the tips white first. Once the white paint dried, I gave them a follow up coat of yellow.

The Tamiya masking tape leaves a very crisp edge. I like how it turns out. Here you can see what I'm talking about once I removed the tape.

This last photo shows the completed Mustang props.

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 7 months ago:

I decided to pull the trigger and ordered a set of these hexagonal wheels in two scales, 1/48 and 1/32.

I plan on eventually building up another plane flown by Major Preddy, in 1/48 scale. This time I'll be using the new tool Airfix or possibly the older Tamiya offering. I haven't decided yet.

This would be the plane he was killed in on Christmas Day. It's called "Cripes A Mighty" and has a red rudder. This plane was a newer Mustang and had the fuselage fillet ahead of the fin. The nose lettering on the name is also slightly different, as are the kill markings on the side of the fuselage. It's a very good looking plane, and probably my favorite Mustang offering.

Ironically his "last" Mustang also had the hexagonal tire tread, so I purchased the 1/48 set made by Barracuda Cast at the same time I bought the larger 1/32nd scale offering.

Here's the larger set in 1/32 scale for the current build...

I'll try to use the wheel hubs from the Revell kit supplied wheels. I will probably have to do some surgery to remove them from the tires. Besides the fact that I needed a set for the smaller 1/48 Mustang for a future build, I simply don't have too much extra time to devote to scratch building at the moment.

If the surgery fails, I'll have to locate a set of resin center hubs for these wheels, as they're designed to be a drop in replacement for the 1/32 scale Tamiya Mustang.

Maybe someday I'll give it another try...

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Valiant effort on trying to scratchbuild the correct tire pattern, Louis. Your level of research is much higher than mine. I am more of a big picture builder and am happy if the plane generally looks right. If I am putting the right decals on the right series of plane (P-51B, P-51D, etc), then I am a happy camper. Kudos to you all who go the extra mile.

• Profile Photo
    Keith Waterhouse said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I was reading your Random thoughts on Japanese colour schemes, excellent article and has really helped me for a future build Tamiya 1/32 Zero A6M2. I joined this group to see more of your articles.

I'm building this same kit atm (Lou 4 after Chritian's daughter, I like the Athelene after his S/SGT Jameson's partner), I went with eduard wheels, hubs included. I tried to drill out exhausts but my kit has a plastic problem and some parts crumble instead of sand or drill cleanly, so was forced to go Eduard exhausts...to maximise postage and for a small extra cost bought the prop (why spend £13 poastage for just £9 of items?). BTW I contacted Revell UK about these problems with crumbling plastic (about 5 weeks ago) the UK branch didn't have sprues (discontined kit) but the main German branch mailed me replacement parts that I recieved today 🙂 FREE of charge 🙂 🙂

Liking your build, you go to more detail than me, I was happy to have yellow zinc chromate (This ages brown not green as most people weather, myself it's a simple brown oil wash) for the wheel wells, never mind foil for extra detail you've achieved.

Kudos to you and wish you well with this build

Keith (UK as the £ might have said)

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 4 years, 3 months ago:

These are looking AWESOME Louis! I love the revell 1/32 stuff.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Louis if your planning on doing Lou IV ...Dana Bell's research ergo looking at the standard photo that we all know and have seen and loved...depending on the negative or a very good reproduction has shown that some areas over the stars and bars (fuselage) where painted in blue. Some folks think that the strips covering the top half of the wings where also, painted in blue. While others think that the stripes where painted over using fresh O.D., Still others dispense with the blue theory and paint the thing O.D. .

Here are some great photos provided by Mr. Bell.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/showandtell7db_1.htm

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Just a very quick update before I head out the door... A more detailed one will hopefully follow tonight.

Against my original intentions, I decided to pull the trigger on a replacement prop, and exhaust. Both items are on the way now and should arrive soon. I picked up two sets, one is for "LOU IV", and the other set if for for "Cripes a Mighty III"... I have also been working on the 1/48 scale Monogram B-24 "Tubarao"...

As far as the blue colors on LOU IV, I have decided to paint it exactly as Dana Bell recommended. It will have blue AND green colors on it. I'll use RAF Dark Green and Olive Drab for the green shades. The jury is still out on the Blue color. It will probably be similar to Insignia Blue, which isn't too dark nor too light.

I accidentally stumbled across this information while waiting at the doctor's offices. Thank you very much for the encouragement, and the recent spark of motivation.

Both were needed, and were well received .

Thanks and please follow along on this journey, the "Iron Werks" is stoking the fires and kicking the tires.

Stay tuned !

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Good on you Louis, history is always changing based on the evidence and if Mr. Bell has found better slides that show blue than what better to acknowledge the info than to model it. The modeling community what with the advent of the internet has helped to muddle and prejudice folks into believing somethings about P-51s that aren't always historically accurate. Then they become "un truths" or "facts" or if you keep repeating a lie it becomes "true". For several years everyone though that "Bird caged" Corsairs had salmon color gear bays and the modeling community took that to be gospel and perpetuated that belief until they pulled out the real deal out of Michigan. I've seen Waterbird's ...P-51s painted with that Blue covering what would have been O.D. . Historical accuracy is suspect but, when your footing the billing you can paint what ever you want...

• Profile Photo
    Keith Waterhouse said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Louis,

I bought Barracda iterior decals for my kit, whilst on site I looked at their main decals for Lou IV (Revell acknowledge them for the designs) and the author of the info for decals explained there is no definative answer to colours used (though he added he went with RAF dark green and U.S. olive drab) but concluded we should all paint to our personal preference.

I agree with your choice of using the blue (which, light blue or Royal blue?). These were field painted in the UK so they'd have been stuck with available paints.

Myself I'm boring and going RAF dark green and olive drab. I'm not a great believer in "historically correct".

If I believed that, then the USA captured the Enigma machine, standardised bolt threads and invented the internet !

Nothing meant against individuals, but US media etc do try to take credit they didn't earn. The saying "The victors can write history" springs to mind, sorry if offended anyone, but it's the way (56 years old) feel about some things. I grew up close to my grandpareants and was told about their sufferings during WW11 and some amusing happenings. I guess those amusing things kept them going

• Profile Photo

Hello Keith, @keithwaterhouse

First off, let me welcome you to Imodeler, and I am very happy to hear that you enjoy reading my articles. Thank you ! That was the nicest compliment that anyone could get, and I sincerely mean that.

After reading your comments on how the exhaust cracked on your model as you attempted to drill them out, I thought I would save myself some grief and I ordered two sets of Eduard exhausts from Sprue Brothers. These items should be arriving soon, and look to be a major improvement over the kit supplied parts.

Since I was going to pay shipping charges, I said "why not" ? and added two replacement props to the order as well.

I have read on other forums where these kit supplied parts are not as nice as these Eduard items. I have been around numerous full sized 1 to 1 scale Mustangs, and the kit parts look OK. The thing I immediately noticed was the parting line between the cuff and the actual propeller blade isn't too defined. I'm hoping this will be taken care of, and that the new props were not a waste of money. I'll snap some pictures of these items sitting side by side next to the kit parts once they arrive. Then I'll post my findings here.

Lastly, I have future plans for building a P-51 B model air racer that was sponsored by none other than Jimmy Stewart... It has a fin fillet added from a later "D" model and looks very nice in a bright blue metallic color. This future build also needed different prop, and Ultracast makes exactly what I needed in 1/48 scale. So I decided to pull the trigger on this item too.

Please stay tuned for a future Air Racing Mustang... and it's a B model razor back to boot.

To answer your question about what shade of blue I will be using on "LOU IV". I am most likely going to use US Insignia Blue, FS 35044. There's also a possibility I might use a US Navy color. That would be FS 35042 and is Dark Sea Blue. Both of these colors could have been available for use by the Squadron.

I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to the crazy things you see printed by the media... and we are of similar "vintage". Believe me, what you wrote didn't offend me at all.

As far as your choice of decals, Barracuda makes some very nice stuff. I have used them on a few other projects and I can highly recommend them from personal experience. I think you will also be pleased with how well they work.

• Profile Photo

Jordyn, @1corsair64
    Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at my Mustang builds. Like you, I also love the Revell stuff, especially the larger 1/32 scale things. My very first kit ever was a 1/32 scale Revell P-40E "Flying Tigers" model...

• Profile Photo

Hello Stephen, @stephen-w-towle
    I have a little more time now to make a decent reply back to you. I saw the article you posted a link to, and knew right away this was how I was going to paint mine. I also have the same kit in the stash, but this other one is in smaller form as a Tamiya P-51D in 1/48, and it comes with the decals for "LOU IV" in the box.

I can paint that one using two shades of Greens so I'll be covered both ways. I'll have a blue one and a green one...

That specific 1/48 Tamiya kit I have the Ultracast replacement resin tail without the fin fillet.

Years ago I purchased it for a specific purpose. I had plans to graft the tail section removed from the Tamiya "D" model with the fin fillet, onto a Tamiya 1/48 "B" Razorback version. This will in turn end up as an Air Racer that was sponsored by Jimmy Stewart in 1947.

It's a very nice looking plane with gold / yellow stripes and checkers over an overall bright blue metallic main color. The decals I have for this model are something I have never tried before and were made by Draw Decal. Here's a picture of the set.

It should be a cool looking plane once done. I have never seen a B model Mustang with a later model fin fillet added...unless you count the Accurate Miniatures #3419 kit. This fin feature combined with the cool race colors should make this one stand out from the crowd.

Since I happen to have the AM kit in the stash, I'll look into it and see if things might just be a little bit easier to just build that kit instead the Tamiya ...but Tamiya stuff builds so easy. The surgery on the tail removal might outweigh the other option though. Time will tell.

As always, comments are encouraged.