Two 1/32 scale Revell of Germany P-51-D5 Mustang builds. One as ”Cripes a Mighty 3rd” and ”LOU IV”

Started by Louis Gardner · 366 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

What a great progress, my friend @lgardner! Love all the details you add, those tiny holes you drilled out for sure make a difference. The plate situation is a mystery to me...
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    Ross Paton said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great kit. Value wise it's awesome if you have no interest in showing the engine.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Tom, @tcinla
    I have been studying a lot of pictures from various P-51's that were stationed in Europe during this time frame. It's looking like what you mentioned is a very good possibility. In most of the pictures I have seen, these plates were in fact solid, with some aircraft having the plate with holes. I'm leaning towards installing a solid plate myself, especially after doing a little bit of experimentation with several photos of LOU IV. As far as bringing out your kit, I say go for it. So far it has been a very fun and educational build for me. Thanks for stopping by.

John, @johnb
    Yes there are several different versions of Zinc Chromate. They used at least two of the shades on this restored Mustang. Here you can see Green Zinc Chromate and Yellow Zinc Chromate in this picture that I took not too long ago. The main differences between the various ZC yellow and green colors is how much black paint has been added to the yellow. The more Black you add, the more green the ZC becomes.

Having an opportunity to just sit in a WW2 war bird is something that I cherish to this very day. Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thank you for the kind words. I like how it looks much better with the holes drilled out. As far as the subject of the plate, now I'm leaning towards a solid plate on LOU IV. This is still not set in stone yet, as I can add the plate right at the very end of the build.

I'm posting another update in just a few minutes, so your wait will not be much longer.

Ross, @ross4
    I also like this kit. It fits very good in most places. The places that are giving me trouble are the leading edge wing inserts. These are the parts that also have the muzzle end openings for the six .050 caliber MG's. I am just as happy to have this model without having to build up the separate engine. Because of it's lower than average price, a person could get several of them, grab a few extra upgrade parts for it, and still come in at a lot lower price point.

Stay tuned gents. Here we go !

• Profile Photo

I managed to get a LOT done over the past few days. Here are some pictures I took along the way. Lets start out with the cover plate. I found a decent picture on the web, where the person lightened up the exposure a little bit. Then I zoomed in using the camera in my cell phone. As best I can tell, there's a decent chance this plane had the solid cover as mentioned previously. Here is the zoomed in picture I'm talking about.

Earlier I had completed the majority of one wing. I used Bare Metal Foil to replicate the underside of the aluminum wing skin.

The other wing I wanted to make it look different. So I painted the inside skin portion using Yellow ZC from the Testors little square bottle.
    I had previously built and painted the inner wing ribs and spars.

Then since I was painting the Yellow ZC, I sprayed the outside of the tail wheel well on both planes.

This is how it looks from a different angle.

I sprayed the inside of the fuselage near the tail wheel well on both planes.

Then I assembled the upper and lower wing halves, after gluing the ribs in place.

You can see the difference between these two.

On the top side they look identical.

The Mustang had all kinds of variations as to how / why they were internally painted. It depended upon the production date, the plant and even as to what they had available. Steven Towle shared a great link a while ago about "Sierra Sue". This Mustang has been painstakingly restored and they went so far as to have reproduction rivets manufactured, and paint roller stencils to show which manufacturer the aluminum sheets came from.
    Now I have both wings assembled, waiting for the final sanding and polishing sessions.
    Next I started checking the fit of the tail wheel well / radiator tunnel into the fuselage sections.

Here you can see the radiator tunnels.

Once I spray the interior of the tunnel, and apply some foil in a few places, these parts are ready to install into the fuselage.

I wanted to install the exhaust shrouds on "Cripes A Mighty III". In the book I have, they have several photos that show these were painted Blue, just like the nose of the plane. So I carefully masked the nose sections on both planes, then sprayed on some Flat White to use as a base. I use Flat White only because it dries much faster. This was done primarily for the upcoming yellow color.

Once the white had dried sufficiently, I sprayed the noses using a custom mix of Blue, using the formula and base colors as described in the Eagle Edition book.

Here is a picture showing the fuselage halves as the paint is drying.

Here you can see how the exhaust shrouds were glued in place before any painting was done.

On LOU IV, I will have to go about this a little bit differently because the shrouds remained in a bare metal state. Her is another Mustang photo I took and it shows the stainless steel shrouds nicely. Ironically this is also a Blue Nose from Bodney...

I painted the propeller spinner and back plate, along with the small air intake under the nose

as well as the blue portion of the nose.

I have read online where the decal for the Port side of LOUI IV, named Athleen, is translucent. So I decided to paint the area behind the decal using white, to help keep the bleed through to a minimum.

Here you can see both sides of the fuselage on LOUI IV.

I'm calling it a night. As always, Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Wow, what a great progress, my friend @lgardner. Both look superb so far and you got the colors spot on.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great work, Louis @lgardner
    Very nice research on the Zinc Chromate, thanks for sharing.
    Noses of both ponies look very nice.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 4 months ago:

@lgardner
    Louis, you are doing a fabulous work here! The wheel pit of the Pony is perhaps the most intricate of all single engine planes I’ve modeled so far, and even the colour variation is well researched on your work.
    A worn about the blue nose, that mix looks spot on. I wonder if you can post the ratio and paints you used there?

• Profile Photo

Spiros @fiveten
    Thanks for the kind words. I am going to be posting another update in just a few, so please stay tuned. Thanks again.

John @johnb
    I sincerely appreciate your comments. I do try to find out as much as I can about the subject I am working on. Sometimes I don’t get it exactly right but I have put forth a good effort to keep it as accurate as I can. Thanks for the compliments on the noses. Take care my friend.

Pedro @holzhamer
    First off thanks buddy ! I agree that the Mustang has an intricate main landing gear bay. There are countless variations in how they look. It varies by the date of production and which factory it was constructed in. Many times there were parts bins that contained the same part, but they were painted using different colors, and even different color rivets ! There’s a great website that was shown to me by Stephen Towle and it is about the restoration of the Mustang named Sierra Sue. There’s a lot of wonderful photos on this website showing just how many variations there were.

As far as the color mix, this is what I used. Using Model Master enamels, I used four parts of Chrysler Engine Blue, mixed with one part of Blue Angels Blue. Sadly this company is no longer in business and finding these colors is getting harder to find now.

Apparently there are two other paint companies that are making a similar color. These are Vallejo Model Color 963 Medium Blue, and Polly Scale Blue 23.

Now this is the early variation and it’s suitable for the decals I will be using for this particular Mustang.

Later the color was changed to a darker shade of blue, when Preddy was flying his last Mustang 44-14906, and from what I have read it is similar to this formula, using Model Master enamel. His last Mustang had a red rudder and a darker blue nose. This is the same aircraft in which he was shot down and killed in. You can make the darker blue by following this formula, again using Model Master enamels.

16 parts of Chrysler Engine Blue
    3 parts of Guards Red
    2 parts of Classic White

Otherwise you can use Vallejo Model Color 965 Prussian Blue -OR-

Misterkit MRKAF 18 Deep Sky Blue -OR-

Tamiya XF-8 Flat Blue and toss in a little gloss clear to give it a slight shine.

Hope this helps to answer your questions.

Please stay tuned as I have another update coming right up.

Thanks again my friends.

• Profile Photo

Here’s what has been happening lately at the “Iron Werke”.

I made considerable progress on the wings. The leading edge of the wing was installed and I used some liquified styrene to fix up some of the gaps and the rocket mounting locations. Once this dries sufficiently I will be sanding it down smooth.

I have done some work with one of the instrument panels. This is a hybrid between the aftermarket panels and the lower center section is the kit provided parts.

Here you can see how it looks with the light reflects off the glass section over the gauges.

Here’s what the cockpits look like now. These parts have been painted and I will assemble the cockpit once I add the decals and a little bit of wash. One of the seats was painted using Interior Green and the other seat was painted using Dull Dark Green. I also painted the foot trough floorboard areas to make them resemble wood. The floor originally has a black painted on finish on some Mustangs. As the plane is used, this area wears away the black and reveals the bare wood underneath. This wear marks are caused by the pilot's feet as the rudder pedals were depressed.

These are the cockpit interior sidewalls. Decals will be added, and these should be done.

Lastly here’s what the exhaust looks like now. The exhaust shrouds were glued in first, then I installed the aftermarket exhaust by slipping them in to the shrouds. I used some CA glue on the back of the exhaust, then I glued the exhaust retainer in place. Once that was done, I simply pressed the exhaust back tightly against the retainer.
    Here’s “LOU IV”

Followed up with “Cripes A Mighty”.

Here’s a good close up picture of the aftermarket exhaust on “LOU IV”.

This brings us up to speed with the progress on these two. If things go well tomorrow I will try to finish the cockpits and install them. I have a set of aftermarket seat harnesses. One is from Eduard and the other is from HGW, and it requires assembly.

This wraps up the progress for tonight. Here we are, breaking into the 100th posting for this build journal. 🙂 Who would have ever thought ?

As usual comments are encouraged.

Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo

A wonderful progress, my friend @lgardner!
    Cockpit looks great, love the realism of the instrument panel and the simulated wood.
    The exhausts are looking fantastic.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Beautiful progress, Louis @lgardner
    The IP looks perfect, the reflection of the light on the glass is very realistic.
    The exhausts are a great addition as well.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    John, @johnb
    Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. Today I did not get quite as much bench time as I would have liked to. But id did make some progress, and here it is.

--- pic1 not found ---

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    John, @johnb
    Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. Today I did not get quite as much bench time as I would have liked to. But id did make some progress, and here it is.
    Starting with this cockpit: These cockpits are not completely glued together yet. Instead I have them held together by friction fit alone.

Later on, after the instrument panels and rudder pedals have had sufficient time to dry, I will be able to separate these parts. Then I will be able to access the seats much easier and finish the installation of the remainder of the seat harness sets.

This cockpit has the "Yahu" instrument panel glued in place to one sidewall. Once I get them assembled, it will have a set of HGW seat belts in it as well.

This next picture shows the other Mustang cockpit. I will be using the Eduard "LOOK" instrument panel and seat harness that comes along with the "LOOK" set.

Here you can see the two cockpits. I have the IP's glued in place on one sidewall only. The rudder pedals have the same treatment, as they are also only glued in on one side.

Here is a breakdown of the parts, and how they looked after the cockpit placard decals has been added.

This next picture is a close up of the sidewalls, prior to gluing in the rudder pedals and IP.

These next pictures show how they look independent of each other.

The Revell P-51 has packed a very nice front "office" right out of the box. The kit supplied IP is nice, and one could use it with some careful painting, as a decal set for the kit supplied IP has been provided.

The only thing that is lacking, and highly visible in this scale is the seat harness.

It's getting late, and I'm calling it a night.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Those are two masterpieces of cockpits, my friend @lgardner! They look absolutely fantastic!