1/48 Airfix Spitfire XII.

Started by John Healy · 42 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

I started this one today. It’s been in the stash for 8-9 years. I purchased it along with the Airfix Seafire XVII, which I built straight away. It’s about time this one got built! I’m going to build it pretty much straight from the box with a closed canopy. I opened up the shoulder harness slot in the pilot’s head armor to add an Eduard PE harness.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years ago:

Looking forward to this one John. I have it and the Seafire in the stash

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looking really nice so far, my friend @j-healy!
    ThecAirfix kit seems good!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Looking forward to this build, John.
    It deserves to be build.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

With the hole for the straps in place, I shall be strapping in to follow this build as well.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

I also have this one sitting on a shelf, John (@j-healy). Looking forward to seeing it built.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years ago:

Nice! I'm building the Airfix Mk Vb and the fit is terrible. Had no idea it was going to be that bad. Your's looks alot better

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Jeremy. This is a nice kit. Airfix seems to try to do something quirky with each succeeding 1/48 Spitfire. Not deal killers, but weird. With this one and the PR.19, it’s the open canopies. They molded the fixed rear portion and retracted sliding section in one piece. The solution is to build them with closed canopies. I’m fine with that because I have 20 completed Spitfires and it’s nice to have some buttoned up to show the plane’s lines. What fit issues are you experiencing on the Mk.V? I have the kit in the stash. The butt joined landing gear struts don’t inspire confidence. That’s the main reason I haven’t built it yet.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years ago:

@j-healy Mine must be warped or something because nothing lines up. The gas tank cover is too tall so I had to sand it down and still doesn't fit right. Panel lines don't line up, windscreen is off with gaps and steps, also ended up with a gap in the wing root. I been doing bodywork on it for over a week and it's far from perfect. I'm also worried about the landing gear, it doesn't look very strong. I think I'll stick with the Tamiya spit from now on. haha I'm doing a closed canopy as well. Cheers

• Profile Photo

I saw your Mk.V. It looks great so far.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I got the interior almost finished today. Ran an Eduard harness through the head armor slot that I opened. Two cables attached it’s rear finishes it. I used an instrument panel decal from the dungeon, dull coated it, instrument lenses next.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

A very nice interior, John @j-healy
    Love the way you created that harness.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great interior, my friend @j-healy and I agree with our friend @johnb about the superb way you created the harness!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

As I recall, @j-healy, the kit has an instrument panel decal. It makes up into a really nice model. The Spitfire XII is one of my faves.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Coming along nicely, John (@j-healy). I agree with everyone else that slotting the seat belts through the back of the seat is not only accurate but pretty cool.