1/48 Airfix Spitfire XII.

Started by John Healy · 42 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

The paint did indeed lay down nicely, John

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I love Xtracolor! I wish it was easier to get here in the US. Kitlinx does his best but he’s the only importer. The camo colors are Xtracolor, the Sky band and everything els is Humbrol. Leading edge ID yellow and decals next.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This one is hurtling towards the finish line. The kit decals are bad. Stiff, matte, and don’t want to leave the backing paper. This is the only negative about this kit. I’m now remembering that they were also poor on the Seafire XVII, which was released at the same time. Thankfully, Victory Models “Aces of the Empire” sheet had just what I needed. If you like Spitfires, this decal set is worth getting. I’ll finish this in the next few days and post it on the main page.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

As one of the people who put together the "Aces of the Empire" sheet, @j-healy, I'm glad we were able to save your project. Hard to believe that goes back to 2002 - we'd all finally met at the 2001 IPMS Nats in Chicago and decided to do the Spitfire sheet we'd all always wanted.

You're definitely headed toward a great result here.

• Profile Photo

Wow, Tom. You guys certainly put together a nice package. I was at that Nats, in fact the only one I ever attended. My Chicago home is very close to the Rosemont convention center. My then teenage son got to meet Francis Gabreski at that event. Great memories. I just realized that I didn’t build a Spitfire during 2020. I usually do at least one per year. To make up for that, I think I’ll use this sheet to do the Gleed Vb with Aboukir filter before 31 December!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Paint looks great, John (@j-healy). British camo always gives me problems, but yours is awesome.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

That looks to become a great finish, John @j-healy
    The camouflage looks great.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, guys. Looking at it, my greens a little anemic on the right wing but overall I’m happy with it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Off to a great finish, my friend @j-healy!
    You've nailed the camo perfectly!

• Profile Photo

Finished and posted on the main page.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Well done, my friend @j-healy. What a nice ride! I am off to the maim page.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Very nice, John @j-healy.