1/48 Hasegawa F-104A

Started by John Healy · 21 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 8 months ago:

I thought I’d share a few pics of my latest project. This will be my first 104 since 1980.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Off to a nice start!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 8 months ago:

I love the 104 and it is looking great. There are so many cool paint schemes you can use. Looking forward to seeing which markings you use.

• Profile Photo

Thanks. Tennessee ANG , really clean and polished.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Sign me in to follow this one!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 8 months ago:

The missile with a man in it... very cool ! I'll tag along for the ride too. I like what you have done with it so far. I have never built a 104, but I have the old Hawk kit in the stash that was re boxed by Testors many, many moons ago.

• Profile Photo

A little more progress. I cleaned up a few imperfections on the spine and filled some ejector marks with CA today. The balancing test tells us thus plane shouldn’t need nose weight, but I added one sinker anyways. Next, I’ll complete the seat, cockpit, and canopy.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Yes indeed, I'm going to follow this one as well. Looking great so far.

• Profile Photo

I had to cut 2.5mm from the wingtips to take the Eduard Sidewinder rails. The Hasegawa kit is apparently designed only to be built with the tip tanks installed. I’ve also started working on accommodating the Hasegawa ejection seat rails to an Aires Lockheed C2 seat.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Paint time! I sprayed the nose cone and a panel on the fin with Modelmaster ADC Gray and masked it off. I then masked the canopy and sprayed the exposed frames with Humbrol 140 dark gull gray. Now we’re ready for metallic paint. To be honest, I’m always skeptical and afraid of new metallics. This is my first time using AK extreme metals. I just sprayed the airframe with their black base and it went on well. It’s a translucent black that needs to be built up with progressively heavier passes. After a 1/2 hour of spraying, I have a slippery surface to take AK’s Polished Aluminum later this afternoon. All of the photos I’ve found of these Tennessee ANG birds show a highly polished fuselage.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Not pleased with the AK polished aluminum. I followed the instructions and tested it first on an old Wellington. Very fragile and weak. I chose to go old school and sprayed the plane with Floquil Bright Silver. No desire to screw this a/c up. The Floquil performed perfectly. Have any of you used AK polished aluminum? How did it work for you?

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Do you have a secret stash of Floquil? Mine has been gone for several years and was always my go-to for metals. Looks good.

• Profile Photo

I bought the last 8 bottles of Floquil my LHS had!

• Profile Photo

Metal paneling today with the AK extreme metals. It went well today. I used dark aluminum and gun metal at the rear of the fuselage. It sprayed nicely over the Floquil. It also took masking well today. I went back and looked at some of yesterday’s test panels and found they had dried hard. The trick with this AK is to let it dry longer if the coat was heavier.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I’m really happy with the paint on this one. Finally we’re getting close to the finish.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.