1/48 ICM P-51D Mustang

Started by Jeremy Millan · 78 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This build will be practice for my Tamiya F-51 in the Korean War group build. I heard the ICM is a copy of the Tamiya kit. The only P-51 I ever built was the very old Revell kit. So this should be much better. I’ll be building this out of box, maybe buy some seatbelts or try to make some. Anything to watch out for on this kit?

Let it begin. Added some lead wires for the seat.

And some Test fitting

Priming will be next. Followed by some Interior green and chromate paint.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Jeremy (@jmillan), I do not know if it qualifies, but I have a Revell P51C in progress that is a reboxed ICM kit. It is in a build together with an Eduard P51D here: https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/p51-times-two/

One thing to look out for is fit - a lot of testfitting will help identify problem areas in the build. If you haven't glued the wing together, it may be useful to drill the three lights out near the wingtip. Other than that I found the clear IP actually can be made to look OK with some rather nice glass over the dials.

Have fun - I'm strapped in to follow this build!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the tip on the lights Erik @airbum. I'll take a look at your work log as well. cheers

• Profile Photo

Got a little more work done on the pony today. Primed the internals with black mr surfacer 1500 and then painted the Interior Green base layer using a mix of tamiya yellow/green and olive drab.

The IP doesn’t have much detail and the kit didn’t come with decals so I just dry brushed the gauges and used some future for the glass. I’ll be detailing up the cockpit next and weathering to follow. Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looks great, Jeremy! I like your choice. I was always wondering how the ICM kit builds. You've done a great job so far, and I am eagerly waiting for your progress!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Cockpit and instrument panel look awesome, Jeremy (@jmillan). I have always thought that a great-looking instrument panel will really dress-up a cockpit. Your instrument panel, especially the "glass", looks great. It's interesting that ICM misspelled "Mustang" on the box cover.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for comments George @gblair

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I see that they used a piece of clear sprue for the IP on this one too. I brush-painted around the dials on mine to let the clear act as glass - that did add a lot of depth to the instruments. I was thinking about thinning the material and adding the dials to the backside, but that was a bit too far to go at the time. I do however like your painted and futured IP.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik @airbum I was thinking about doing what you did on the IP but I just airbrushed it since I was priming everything else in black.

p.s. I like how you did your landing lights... but I have no idea how you did it. Puzzles me?

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the comment Spiros! @fiveten I must of missed it the other day. cheers

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Very impressive progress on the interior, Jeremy.
    Did the best on my current P51 in progress, but your's makes me jealous.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @JohnB is yours on here?

• Profile Photo

I got a little little detailing work done yesterday. Attempting to make my own seatbelts. Never tried this before and it is pretty tough. I think I’ll leave it there for now. Haha

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 8 months ago:

My Mustang will be posted when finished, Jemery. @jmillan
    It is not in the 'work in progress' section.
    Your seatbelts are looking nice, what material did you use?

• Profile Photo

Thanks @JohnB They’re just Tamiya tape with some brown panel liner on them.