1/48 Revellogram B-17G

Started by Mark P Hartig · 30 · 2 years ago · 1/48, USAAF, WW II
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Looking really nice, the brass barrels are really spectacular. You said eat up a fair amount of time, to me you are going remarkably fast with great results. Mine took months to build. Great work.

• Profile Photo
    Mark P Hartig said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks for the positive comments guys I'm just having a small pout 'cause it did not turn out exactly as I'd planned. I guess I've really not been working on this for long altho it seems I have.

Anyway, I lost one of the main landing gear wheels so I got a set of DEF resin sagged wheels which are very nicely rendered. Their method of attachment, however, left something to be desired so some cutting, filing, drilling, and pinning was done to mount them in a solid manner. In addition to the kit supplied figures I got an additional set from ICM that turned out to be possibly the best plastic figures I've ever worked with, molding that rivals resin in crispness and clarity.

The aircraft is north of 99% done. I just have to decide if I'm gonna do the fuselage to vertical stabilizer antenna wires (something I've never seen in pictures of the real deal) or exhaust stains over the top of the wings. Since I had no better ideas I started a base that I'll finish as a concrete apron, the first layer of which is now drying. Still plenty to do but the biggest part of the job is over.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

She looks amazing, Mark @markh
    That pin should definitely be sufficient to mount those detailed wheels.

• Profile Photo
    Mark P Hartig said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Cheers John B as most of my models sit on tracks spindly looking airplane landing gear makes me nervous and encourages me to over build.

Peripherals now, figures prepped and primed, kit supplied bomb cart and bombs finished (I think), and I picked up the little Tamiya fuel truck which I think will go well with the AC. This is also mostly completed.

I have started a base but right now it has a generous amount of Durham's Rock Hard water putty drying on it. This will stiffen and give weight to the sheet of 1" foam insulation board I decided to use. I'll have to give it a thin coat of drywall mud so I can get some texture down as the Durham's cures up hard as a brick.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Looking amazing so far, my friend @markh! Love the resin wheels and your method of securing them. The model looks wonderful and the truck too! Looking forward to the "peripherals" completion, the very interesting base included.

• Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Pretty good job Mark!

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Nicely done Mark @markh. This one recalled my 1st B-17G, a Hasegawa 1/72 with the 'Chow Hound' markings. Thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice, Mark @markh
    Looking forward to that base and everything on it ofcourse.

• Profile Photo

Thank you gents
    Earlier I said the foam board was 1" I lied it's 1 1/2". Pouring Durham's on flexy foam board did not work well at all, I thought the pour would stiffen the foam but failed to take poor adhesion into consideration. I cured this by removing the poured stuff and just worked with the foam surface directly which is what I should have done in the first place.

Gettin closer

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

The base looks amazing, my friend @markh!
    Very realistic!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great looking base, Mark @markh
    This will be an amazing looking display.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 2 months ago:

You're getting the most out of this old dinosaur.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents I finished it this afternoon

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 2 months ago:

What a mess you made on that apron Mark 🙂 - it is looking very nice! With your pick of AM products and nicely finished kits it turned out very well - well done @markh!

• Profile Photo

Thank you sir it's somewhat cathartic to put random who cares splats of paint over something you've fussed over for awhile