1/48 Tamiya F4U-1 ”Birdcage” Corsairs……………

Started by Louis Gardner · 175 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Birdcage, Corsair, F4U, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Wow Louis @lgardner, I just received my 'Yellow' decals the other day. Need them for my UC-64, but I also ordered Masks from Maketar Paint Masks. The tail has yellow stripes and I need the numbers and stripes to match.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Today the new decals arrived. This should allow me to replace all of the fuselage and landing gear door numbers and letters.

However for the large wing numbers I’m going to have to attempt to make a set of masks and spray them on.

So I started out with measurements. The original decal numbers on the wing measured 1 inch tall

And 3/4 inch wide.

In 1/48 scale this would mean the original numbers would have been 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide.

Sounds simple enough. But the best laid plans...

After the ground work was done with the sizing I decided to try and mix up a color that would match the new decals. I did not have anything in my paints that was a perfect match so I had to improvise a little.

I started out with an old bottle of Model Master Luftwaffe RLM 04 enamel. I daubed a little drop next to the decals and confirmed it was too light. It was also not red enough.

It just so happens that I have the Mopar muscle car color “Go Mango” sitting on the table. It’s a very bright Orange color. So I added a little bit at a time and stirred it until it was very, very close.

I daubed another drop on the decal sheet to see how close it was getting. Now it looks good but it’s a tad bit too dark. This prompted me to add some Insignia White into the mix. Just a few drops is all it took.

Bingo ! A perfect match ! I placed a tiny drop of the new color on the actual decals and let it dry. Once it’s dry you can’t see the difference other than its a little bit flat when the decal material is more shiny.

So far so good.

Time will tell if I’m making a mistake, but I think that I’m on the right track.

There’s a slim possibility that the original numbers and letters were simply toned down a little with a gray or black paint mixed in with the white.

This would have shown as a light gray on the real Corsair.

Unfortunately we will probably not know about this for sure. Until after I make the changes that is. Then someone will find an original WW2 color photo similar to the Avenger one that I posted earlier. This new found photo will show me how the original numbers and letters were white, and how much of a fool I was to mess up a good thing.

I like how it looks with the yellow so yellow it is. I know that they were using the color at this point in the War.

Jim Sullivan sent me a picture several years ago of some Jacksonville NAS planes and they clearly have white numbers and letters. These numbers matched with the US insignia perfectly even though it was a black and white photo. The planes in his photo were from an earlier time during the War and were all wearing the tri color blue / white or the Gray Blue and Light Gray. I’m fairly certain that the yellow wasn’t used at this earlier point in the War. It came around later in the War and is occasionally found on Stateside training unit aircraft.

As usual comments are encouraged.

Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 6 months ago:

I just had some fun with my Corsair. I couldn’t wait much longer than a few minutes and I tore into it.

I started out by removing some of the numbers with tape. I simply took your standard every day run of the mill masking tape and placed the adhesive side against the decal. Then I pressed the tape down against the surface of the Corsair and lifted the tape.

The decal was pulled off the surface when I removed the tape. No fuss, and no muss.

I removed the numbers from the engine cowling and the main gear doors. The future acrylic spray that I had applied previously to seal the decals left a very fine outline for me to use in getting the alignment of the new decals spot on.

Then it was simply a matter of applying the new numbers. Here you can see the new yellow cowling and gear door numbers after they were applied.

I might go back and re spray the inside of the cowling using a Flat Black color. I'm fairly certain this was done when these planes went through a refurbishment after returning from the South Pacific. The "Light Gray" color is correct for a Vought produced "Birdcage" however.

I cut out a set of letters and numbers for the fuselage. I needed the "J 4 F" to be all one size.

This is as close as I can get it. I think I can make this work as I have to trim the "J" and the "F" down a little to make them the same size as the 4. The 4 happens to be perfect in size. I'm hoping this doesn't pose too much of a problem, since these letters had a small parting line present on them when they were stenciled on the real airplane. I can make my size adjustments there at these lines.

I'll probably go digging through the spare decal sheets to see if I have another "4" in a similar size. Then I might get into trouble with the colors not matching. It's a minor dilemma... One I think I can work around.

You can see what I'm talking about in the next photo...

I took the first photo and reposted it after I changed it over to "Gray Scale". Now you can see how the yellow looks more like the numbers do on the original black and white photo I posted of this plane earlier on the build journal. These numbers and letters appear to be an "off" shade of white on the original. I'm sure this is due to the various explanations that were provided by you all earlier in the build.

This is more like it. I'm very happy with the decision to change the colors to yellow. Especially when you compare that photo to this one and see the slight off white I'm talking about...

OK I'm officially calling it a night now... and as always,
    you guessed it...

Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Well researched - I'm perfectly happy with the yellow, and should a picture turn up it can always be photoshopped . . . .

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Looking great. I vote for the yellow. This is based on the dark blue and yellow looking really cool together & not on the historic accuracy.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Wow... It has been 9 months since these Corsairs have received any attention. A lot has happened since then.

My good friend Jame Robinson @jamesb
    sent me a set of identical Barracuda decals, after we talked about going to the yellow code letters and numbers. Sadly the US Postal Service lost them... They were never seen again... to make matter worse, these decals are now discontinued and are no longer available. I'm still not too happy about this, but what can you do other than suck it up and move on cupcake. My wife is retired from the Post Office, so I'm not knocking them. This is a sad reality that things do get lost... by all delivery services.

Anyhow enough drama. Lets get to an update.

Erik, @airbum
    I have several pictures that show this very plane as it was landing that day way back in 1945. In every one, it is definite the codes are different from the US Stars and Bars insignia. I thanks you for the comments and have another installment coming right up.

George, @gblair
    Thank you for the vote of confidence in yellow. I have several pictures of other planes from this era, and they too have yellow markings for the codes.
    Here's an Avenger with yellow wing codes. It is in an earlier color scheme of Blue Gray over Gray.

This Dauntless is similarly marked, however I think this one is wearing tri color camouflage colors and boy are they faded !

As far as accuracy, I am fairly certain this is how it should be... But like you, I also think it simply looks so much better this way. Blue and Yellow go together quite well.

Stand by gentlemen, as I finally have an update for you... and I think you will like what I'm posting next.

• Profile Photo

Last night the Corsair problem of the "White 485" on the wings was finally taken care of. I took some good measurements and finally got busy...

I started by making a template pattern using the measurements I previously took.

These were held securely over some blue fine line 3M tape. Then with a new #11 Exacto blade I got busy cutting, using a steel ruler as a straight edge as a guide for the razor blade.

Here you can see the fine cuts into the blue tape. This will be my home made masks.

Next I had to remove the white 485 numbers.

I used some masking tape and presto... all remaining traces of the decals were gone. (kind of)

There was still some faint trace residue, so I lightly sanded the area using 1200 grit wet or dry paper... and proceeded to break into the gray plastic which required a repaint. That's OK so far.

The underside fared about the same... If you look closely you can see some slight score marks where I trimmed off the excess carrier film from the previous decals to remove the silvering. This actually served me well in the following steps.

I sprayed on some Flat Dark Sea Blue... I chose flat as it would dry very fast.

Both wings were sprayed this way.

Then I applied my home made stencils and I used the score marks as a placement guide. It worked out very well. This shows the underside of the wing...

Followed by the upper side.

Next step was to spray the specially mixed yellow color that I made up to match the existing decals. This was uneventful. Top side:

and underneath:

I waited a few minutes for the flat yellow to dry and removed the tape. What took me several hours to do was gone in a flash.

I am really liking how it turned out. It will need a little bit of touch up, but after looking at the markings in the color pictures of actual WW2 aircraft in the previous posting, their's were not perfect either. I'm not going to strive for perfect, and instead will settle for "good enough" which is how these were most likely done in the first place.

Here is how the overall GSB Corsair looks at the moment.

As always, comments are encouraged. I'm calling it a night. Stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Wow, Louis my friend @lgardner! What a wonderful job!
    Your yellow turned out fantastic and I really liked very much your stencil preparation work.
    Thanks for tutorial! Makes me less reluctant to try in the future!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I'm almost tempted to dust off my old 1/48 Corsair by now! What a performance - as always at the Iron Works thorough research is followed by deep thinking before comitting tape to knife.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Louis, I think it looks better than decals! Great job as usual.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Your painted markings really came out great, Louis (@lgardner). I think the yellow markings really give some zip to the plain white markings. I have been experimenting with my wife's Scan and Cut die cut machine to cut self-adhesive masks for painting. I have just used it a couple of times, but it takes all the grunt work out of cutting masks. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thanks for the compliments on the painting and the stencil work. I have found that when I am preparing an automobile for painting as part of the restoration work I do, that the majority of the time is spent in preparation for painting. Countless hours can be spent sanding, masking and getting everything right before you even think about spraying the color... Otherwise if you don't take the time to get everything perfect, the problem areas will show up like a sore thumb. Granted this is only a plastic model, but the same principles apply. Thanks for stopping by and leaving another nice comment. Enjoy your vacation and I hope you get some quality bench time in...

Erik, @airbum
    I say go for it and dust off that Corsair ! I try to do my research before I commit to the actual build... but not always. Sometimes I will start a kit and decided on how I will paint it as I go along during the build. My big 1/32 scale Ki-44 was an example of that... and it could have been ugly if the foil came up with the masking tape. Take care my friend.

James, @jamesb
    I want to thank you again for sending me the paper templates that show the 45 degree letters and numbers to scale size. That was perfect, and it got the wheels turning about how I was going to change these numbers and letters from white to yellow... and who knows ? Maybe someday those decals you sent me will eventually show up. Once can only hope. Again I thank you for sending me them. Stay safe buddy. I also think the large number 485 looks better when painted. I'm not good enough to make a set of masks for the smaller numbers and letters, so I had to rely on decals for that. If I had a scan and cut machine I would be tempted.

George, @gblair
    Thanks for the kind words, and I'll bet you could have cut out a set of proper masks in no time flat. I have been seriously thinking about getting one of those Scan and Cut machines. I'll bet that would open a whole lot of possibilities to make your own spray masks. You got me thinking again ! Thanks

Gentlemen, please stand by for another update. The letters and numbers are all yellow as I think they should be...

• Profile Photo

Here's the latest on the NAS Jacksonville Corsair.

I started out by using tape to remove the rest of the white decals. This is how it looked after a few minutes with the tape. I had to be extra careful on removing the numbers from the rudder. The original 'NAVY" , type "F4U" and bureau numbers were there too. These were left in the original white colors. It's possible they were also painted using yellow on the original plane. They are too small to make out any difference in the original photo, so I left these alone.

I noticed when I compared the original fuselage codes to the original pictures, something looked a little "off" to me. The fuselage codes J4F looked to be just a little bit on the small side. So I went to the replacement "Yellow" decals and found some that were just a little bit larger. I had to modify the number 4, as it has small slots in the stencil, and the number is not solid. So I had to cut apart a similar sized "Y" and used a letter "I" to start as the basis for a number 4. Here's how the fuselage looks with the new larger numbers and letters on it.

Next I made up a set for the other side of the fuselage, and used the first set as a guide to queue off as a pattern for placement. I also installed the number 485 on the rudder and fin assembly. Here I had an exact match in the replacement "Yellow" decals.

The Port side of the rudder has a linkage on the trim tab. This caused a small problem and I had to cut a slit into the #5 to get it to clear. Then with a little help from Solvaset, the new yellow 5 conformed perfectly. I used some of the custom mixed yellow paint to touch up the decal after it had dried sufficiently.

Now all of the original White numbers and letters have been replaced with yellow ones. I am now VERY happy with how it is looking. I am also pleased with the decision to increase the size of the fuselage codes. Now it looks proper when compared to the original photo.

Here's how the NAS Jacksonville F4U looks now.

As always, comments are encouraged.

Good night, Stay healthy and safe.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Louis, my friend @lgardner, this is such a splendid result. I liked your approach for the "4" stencilling: looks like the guy who made the original stencils liked to take this road. I just love those small details that bring life to a model.
    Your Corsair looks great, and I am happy to say that the best looking codes colour (the yellow) is the correct colour.
    Waiting for your next update!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Very nice indeed. I think it was a good call to leave the small numbers white, as it adds to the interest.