1/48 Tamiya Ki-61 Hien ”Tony” build review, kit #61115

Started by Louis Gardner · 80 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 3 months ago:

I have been wanting to build this kit for the longest time... I simply needed something to build that will hopefully be simple and relaxing. I have also been itching to build something that was WW2 Japanese. So this is just what the doctor ordered.

Almost a year ago I posted a kit review of the new Tamiya Ki-61. In my opinion the Ki-61 is the best looking Japanese plane from WW2 and is my favorite out of all of the Japanese planes. It's just so sleek and elegant. It's the Japanese Spitfire.

Here's a link to the review in case you are interested.

Tamiya #61115 1/48 scale Ki-61 Hien (Tony) kit review
    Now I plan on building it to see if the model builds as nice as it looks in the box. So lets get it in gear ! Here's the box on the work bench... I don't want to install the engine in this one. I want to use it for another project that is in the works... Nor do I want to use the clear fuselage half. So I studied the instructions and noticed a part was labeled "not for use". I'm talking about part # A43. This is the actual part... and how it fits... Problem solved. No license built DB-605 is needed for this one. I want to keep the fuselage closed up except for the cockpit sliding canopy. Maybe later I'll purchase another kit and build it opened up with the engine displayed. So far from what I have experienced, the fit is exceptional on this model. Look at the seam just ahead of the cockpit. This is held together by friction alone. The seam looks almost invisible. Look at the seam on the front of the fuselage. The area just behind where the propeller will eventually be installed... It's invisible ! I hope this is an indication of things to come... Speaking of the cockpit, it's well underway. I wanted to build up everything that was painted "cockpit color", which isn't RLM 79 from what the guys over at "Jaircraft.com" have to say. I don't profess to be an expert on "all things Hien", but these guys have uncovered a lot of new information. More on that later... 🙂 Plus there was a recent discovery of some original Ki-61 parts in an attic. These parts as found were still painted in the original Kawasaki colors, and the paint was intact, still in remarkably good condition. Thankfully these items are now displayed in a museum... The engineering and fit are spectacular so far. In fact, the cockpit can be assembled without glue on my kit. Here nothing but friction is holding things in place using the four previously assembled parts. So far, so good... 🙂 Please check back for another installment. Thanks for looking and as always, "Comments are encouraged". Good night.
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 5 years, 3 months ago:

I always liked this airplane. Kind of the Japanese 109. Jerry Yagen has a full scale coming together and should be flying in the next couple years. I think I'm more looking forward to seeing this fly than the Stuka 🙂 Peter Arnold's photo from a few years ago.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Typical Tamiya quality workmanship (and, of course, your own expertise, Louis)...one thing that puzzles me though - why would that part depicted NOT be used? It appears that it's the piece to which one would attach the propeller. But I suppose you could cement the prop/spinner assembly directly to the forward fuselage and simply have it not move.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Excellent Choice Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Amazing Louis, and a bit of a coincidence because I am going to build Japanese planes next too! I love that you call it the Japanese Spitfire - I'd have thought you'd have had enough of those for the time being! Can't wait to see this develop! I'll catch you up once my RAF100 duties are done!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Surprising choice here Louis! Was expecting a Corsair from you Iron works to kick off the new year 😉
    I’ll be following along, even though I don’t have (or intend to have) this kit. However I have the Hasegawa kit, so I’m confident to pick some hints and knowledge through the WIP. Good choice my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Excellent choice Louis. I will be following along as I have this in the stash. LOL at "part not used" I guess they want you to build the engine!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 3 months ago:

One of my favorite Japanese aircraft - along with the Raiden - and I've got one almost on the bench now! I just bought some special dark yellow paint for the interior (read about that in a modeling mag just last week), and I actually bought a set of decals for the splotch camo pattern (a first for me). Since I have 6 other kits already in various stages of build (long story...), I won't finish mine anywhere near as soon as you will, but that way I can use yours for reference!

• Profile Photo
    Patrick Kastinger said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Great work so far Louis! Do you use the decals or paint the camo sheme?

• Profile Photo

Jim, @jimh
    Thanks for sharing this photo with us ! By chance is this Kermit Weeks' Hien ? I can only imagine how it would look in the skies ! WOW ... And a Stuka in the works too ? amazing stuff...

Hello Craig, @craigindaytona
    The part is not mentioned in the instructions other than being listed as "Not for Use".

It appears as if Tamiya wants you to build the engine that is included with the kit and install it. It does come with a rather nice looking inverted V-12...

Tamiya uses a poly cap mounted inside the propeller assembly to secure the prop to the fuselage. The kit supplied engine has a prop shaft on it just like this part A-43.

Thanks David ! @davem

Hello Paul, @yellow10
    Yes I am rather burned out on Spitfires at the moment... and the new tool Tamiya kit arrived a few days ago, along with the P-47 from Hannants.

I simply needed a change of pace for now. Something that will hopefully be a simple relaxing build. I'm thinking that 2019 will be seeing me building some Axis planes. But I still want to complete a few Corsairs and maybe even a Hellcat or two in FAA colors. I have a few armor builds in the pile too... But other things are really a priority at the moment. I'll send you a PM. Thanks my friend... 🙂

Pedro, @holzhamer
    There will be a Corsair or two this year, good Lord willing. But I also wanted to build up the ICM Do-17-Z & Ju-88 A5, finish up the ICM He-111 and possibly tackle a Hasegawa Ki-45 all in 1/48. Then there's a few 1/32 scale Hasegawa Japanese fighters in the short list pile too... I have some of the Hasegawa kits you mentioned, and some really cool decals for them. They just might infiltrate into a project. You just never know. It's good to hear from you.

Hey Robert ! @beauslx
    I was very pleased when I discovered this "part not for use". I really didn't want to fool around with building the engine right now. I have a plan for it that involves a Luftwaffe twin engine plane... 🙂 I'll try to make this a detailed build review so hopefully it will help others along the way... Take care buddy.

Hey Greg ! @gkittinger
    Yes this is my favorite Japanese plane too... We just might be related somehow. I pulled out my 1/32 Hasegawa Raiden, and 3 other 1/32 scale Japanese fighter planes.

That Raiden kit looks great in the box. From what I have seen written about it online, it's a sweet building kit too...
    I'll try my best to include the details and some good pictures during this build. Please keep checking back for updates. I hope you can use this article as a reference during your build. So far it's been a great model and is very cleverly engineered...

Hello Patrick. @kapa86
    I have two thoughts at the moment. I want to use Bare Metal Foil as the base color. If I decide to add some camouflage, it will be sprayed on top of the foil. I built the Hasegawa version up similarly many years ago.

This Tamiya kit will have a different color scheme. I still haven't exactly decided on which one to use, as I have several sets of decals for this one.

Please stay tuned.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 5 years, 3 months ago:

@lgardner You bet! the Tony in the pic I posted is Jerry Yagens, which will be based at his museum in Virginia. Kermit's airframe is, or has been used for patterns for this restoration as well as his own. His project is moving really slow but I believe it is in the same shop in Wangaratta, Australia. Paul Allen's Museum recently unveiled a Stuka restoration that should be ready to go by 2020. The photo below was taken by Randy Malmstrom in Seattle. Pretty cool stuff!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Jim,
    This Stuka looks to be well underway. I see the wings are stored behind it... Cool !

I went online and found some updates on the Ki-61's too. They were projecting a first flight in sometime 2020... One can only hope to see a Ki-61 grace the skies again soon. (or a Ju-87 for that matter !) That would definitely be on my bucket list ! Thanks for sharing this picture and update with us.

• Profile Photo

I went online a while ago and found these pictures posted by another gent over at J aircraft .com

Apparently these original Ki-61 relics were found located in an attic ! They found a spinner and an upper engine cowling. The great part is that both of these items still retain the original Kawasaki colors... This next picture shows them as found. On a deteriorating wooden palat, and covered in dust.

Once these parts were cleaned up, they were placed on display in a museum. Look at what a difference the lighting makes. This next picture may have been taken with a flash:

while this one doesn't look to be taken with flash.

The upper cowling as displayed:

and the cowling sitting next to the spinner.

This gives us a good indication as to how the colors look. Granted they may have "shifted" over the years, but this is about as good as it gets...

but wait ! There's more !

Remember when I said the interior colors were no longer thought to be RLM 79 ?

Here's why.

These pictures were taken of the inside of the engine cowling. I believe this is the interior color used on the Ki-61 "Tony" cockpit as well. It may have turned a little darker over the years.

and a few close ups.

The guys over at J aircraft and even Britmodeler have been saying the original colors are actually more similar to a color that was used on WW2 German military vehicles called RAL 7028.
    Here on this motorcycle in the foreground of this picture, you can see how it looks.

Since we are looking at the original panels, here's a close up of the outer engine panel showing the original Kawasaki green.

and a restored Ki-61 instrument panel.

• Profile Photo

With this information in hand, I decided to find a suitable color to paint the inside of the Tamiya kit. This is what I decided to use. Unfortunately I believe this color has been discontinued by Model Master too... In case you can find some, it's called "Earth Brown"

On with the build:
    I installed the "part not for use"

and the engine supports. These are different from what you would find on a Bf-109. Same function, they just look entirely different.

I added them because I thought it would make the upper engine cowling a little easier to install. Otherwise I would have left them off. You can see the edge of the part along the inside of the fuselage here.

Tamiya has taken a different approach and has two different parts for the canopy. The difference depends on how you want to pose the canopy. Either open or closed.

They also have two different parts for the fuselage. These are the ones used for the open canopy. If you look close, you will see the part number has been added to the part as well as the actual part sprue, in case you get things mixed up. This is B37

and it goes here:

This is how it looks from the other side. It gives you a little more material and raises the canopy a tad.

This is the other side of the fuselage.

Next up I decided to build the area that is behind the pilot's seat. It is very well detailed.

and friction fit alone was enough to keep it in place. The fit is awesome a word that is often over used, but appropriate here.

The part does NOT get glued to the pilot seat. I was just showing you how it fits...

Now having all of these interior parts completed, it was time to break out the air brush, and see just how close this Earth brown will look once sprayed.

Here's a close up of the small bits.

and the fuselage sides. There's a thin flat part that is glued in place that acts as a side wall to the radiator opening. The parts are numbered B-31 and B-32. One goes in place on each side of the fuselage. Again the fit is impeccable...

If you plan on using the venturi tube, don't forget to drill out this hole. I almost forgot but luckily I caught it before it was too late. Please keep in mind not all Hien's had this part.

Going back to the instructions, there were two other parts listed as "Not for use". This was part # D5 and D6.

Now my curiosity was getting the best of me. I had to figure out where they went. So this involved gluing the DB parts together. I still will not use the engine in this kit, but I do have plans for it ...

This will look perfect for what I have in mind...
    The "parts not for use" actually fit here.

and blank off the mounting lugs where the engine attaches to the mounts, like so.

Now I couldn't resist but to spray the whole thing black !

Once the black was sprayed on the remaining small parts for the cockpit, I sprayed some highly thinned black paint on the cockpit. I wanted to bring out some details and add a little color variations to the floor where dirt grease and oil would accumulate.

Now it's starting to look more like the original color, at least to my eye...

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Super research Louis and wonderful photos. I have this kit and have been pondering over whether to build it this year.
    I have made a decision to build the new Tamiya Spit and Airfix Blenheim first this year.
    I was always intrigued by the resemblance to Macchi 202 Folgore - another DB user!