1/48 Tamiya Ki-61 Hien ”Tony” build review, kit #61115

Started by Louis Gardner · 80 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 3 months ago:

David, @davem

I just received the Tamiya Spit, and after looking at the model in inside the box, I don't think you will be disappointed ! It looks like a fabulous kit...

Thanks for the compliments, and I sincerely think you will really enjoy building the new tool Tamiya Spitfire. Please keep us posted if you don't mind.

I would highly recommend building this Ki-61 as well. I was waiting a bit apprehensively to build mine at first. I wanted it to be perfect, and I was not sure about the color call outs. I painted all of my older Hasegawa Ki-61's using RLM 79 for the interior color, as it was the color recommended at the time.

The Macchi 202 (and 205) are lovely planes too...

Thanks again my friend. Build them and you will be very happy that you did !

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Usual top quality thread, Louis. Interesting as ever, beautiful images, wit, some instruction; got it all covered. But what happened to the red-tipped-toothpick? We need an answer.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend !
    The red tip tooth pick was still wet from painting these little red handles...

So I had to improvise... 🙂 I'll bring it back or I can use the new "improved" edition...

Which do you prefer ?

• Profile Photo

Slightly ‘spectrumy’ here, Louis (Tom C would get it) - not great with change. Got to be the red-tipped-toothpick.

• Profile Photo

You’ve got that cockpit floor looking like real metal - fantastic finish.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David @dirtylittlefokker

for the compliments !

This next photo shows the cockpit floor a little better, now that it has fully dried... Sharp viewers will notice the re-introduction of an old friend, the red tip toothpick is back !

and the color contrast between the oxygen regulator and our pointy friend is 'red'ily apparent !

Going on to the other interior parts, this next photo shows the little bits after they were sprayed black...

and the remainder of the small parts also received a coat of "earth brown".

Excellent thoughts David LS... It does have a little more 'kick' this way.

Back to business as usual. Suggestion duly noted...

Thanks !

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Glad you tackled the interior color issue. I had just bought some Vallejo Dark Yellow per a recent magazine article I read (see pic). You're research and work here gives me a nice counter-balance. I'll go for a scale version (my build will obviously be 1/72)

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 3 months ago:

@gkittinger - Greg, one of the shades that had me puzzled for years and years is this one precisely, the dark yellowish inte4ior colour used by Kawasaki on their 61 and 100 models.
    Just what exact Vallejo colour number is the one you refer to? Deeply appreciate your hint 🙂

@lgardner Louis, your detective skill is above average! Good works far, like others mention, the cockpit floors looks very realistic. I bet the end result will be awesome. I also like your old Hien model, is it the Hasegawa?

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 3 months ago:

@holzhamer Pedro - Vallejo Model Color 70.978 Dark Yellow. See the article snippet in the photo above for more options.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg! It does resemble the RAL reference Louis talks about.

• Profile Photo

Greg, @gkittinger
    This is a fantastic find ! I no longer subscribe to modeling magazines... which one is it ? The colors they list on the right side of the article are spot on with what was said by others with a lot more knowledge than I about the subject.

I read where it is supposed to be very close to FS 33440, and how it's also very close to the RAL 7028 color used on WW2 German vehicles. I have a Federal Standards color chip book. This prompted me to pull it out for a comparison... stand by and I'll post up what I found in the next installment. It might actually shed a little light on the color.

Pedro, @holzhamer
    Trying to find out more about this elusive shade has been an interest of mine every since I obtained this kit. It was one of the main reasons I decided to hold off on building it. It is such a fantastic model and I wanted to do it right... Something about the RLM 79 color didn't set right with me, even though I have used it on all of my previous Hien builds. Back then when I built my Hasegawa models, this is what was considered "correct".

In all honesty, as long as it's close, then that is probably good enough.

The previous Ki-61 Tony's were all the Hasegawa 1/48 variety. I still have about 4 or 5 more of them left in the stash. Even though they have been surpassed by the new Tamiya model, the older Hasegawa kits still build up very well.

There's even a "short nosed" version available through Hasegawa. The "Short nose" was used more frequently throughout the Japanese Empire. Most of the kits and associated decals however are more often than not, geared towards the longer nosed version... and the 244th Sentai, since it was tasked with guarding the airspace against B-29's over Tokyo. This unit was photographed quite regularly, so decal companies have a good source of documentation for their products.

Now if Tamiya would release a "short nose" I would definitely buy a few... 🙂 I have some killer decals in the stash for Ki-61's in New Guinea...

• Profile Photo

Taking a cue from Greg @gkittinger

I decided to break out the Federal Standards color chip book. This is a book I purchased about 20 years ago (maybe 25 now). It has come in handy on numerous occasions. It can be used as a guide when it comes to making an "approximation" to WW2 German and Japanese colors. But for a perfect color match on these later two subjects, it's nearly impossible since they typically are not an exact match using the FS system. This would make sense, since this American color standards book didn't come into existence until the 1950's...

To use the book properly, it is best used outside in natural sunlight. But even this can play tricks on your eyes... Follow along and I'll explain.

I went through the book and compared the kit parts to various color samples. These following colors come close to the shade I used to paint the interior of the Hien using Model Master "Earth Brown"

This color chip is actually the closest when compared to the paint I used on the interior colors of this Hien build. It's officially called FS 33440. You can see that it is close, but not an exact match. This is typical of German and Japanese colors when using this book for a comparison. It gets you in the "ball park".

In this photo, I have propped the pilot seat and rear bulkhead at an angle to allow the sunlight to better reflect off the part. You will be amazed at just how different it looked under "partly cloudy" conditions !

In this next picture, the part was allowed to be partially shaded. The sunlight was not shining directly on the kit part. Notice how much darker the seat looks now when compared to the color chip...

In the following picture, I included the cockpit floor since I had treated it to a wash. The wash color of "black" has changed the appearance somewhat.

The color FS 33105 was also very close to the Model Master "Earth Brown" I used.

But it actually looks darker when the sun light is properly reflected on the part in question...
    See how much it looks off in this picture below ?

The color FS 30118 was also a contender...

It looked to be fairly close when the floor was compared to it. But keep in mind these parts are shaded, and not in the direct sunlight.

Here in this next picture, the sun has ducked away behind a cloud, so it's not in direct bright sunlight. You will have to trust my old Mk 1 eyeball on this one. It was close but no cookie...

These following pictures was taken of the remaining color chips in the FS book that are close in appearance. They did not make the cut because they were either too light or too much yellow tint.

FS 30277 looked to be a tad too light.

as did FS 20318

This last color FS 23448, was a little too yellow, possibly a bit too light as well.

I posted these color chip references as a guide for others to use should they decide to use this build journal as a reference.

I would stick with what the experts say and use something similar to FS 33440, as it has been described by others as a close match. Another choice would be to use the German RAL paint equivalent of RAL 7028. It looks to be a very similar color to the FS 33440 shade.

These color chips might get you "close enough". At least now I am satisfied with the color choice I used on painting the cockpit. As they occasionally describe it... close enough for government work !

Thanks for looking, and as always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner Louis, I think the Hasegawa Tony in my stash is the short nose version. It is the first produced version of the Ki.61 at least...I ain’t no expert with this Lol.

Got some Montex masks a few months ago and all it needs now is a set of new drilled exhausts. After that it’s bench time for that beauty.

Now, this last post you made is awesome! That book is a worthy addition to any serious modeler library. I have to agree with you regarding the effect of natural direct sunlight vs shade. The only thing I would add is that a cockpit of a model is, as we all know, intrinsically a dark place, so as a personal option I tend to lighten whatever color is sprayed, and I do this twofold, because I also want to get some depth using shade effect, or as David calls it “the Spanish school”.

• Profile Photo

Hello Pedro ! @holzhamer
    and thanks for the feedback about the FS color chip book. I actually ordered this from the US Government. I think they are still available and they were reasonably priced back then. I think mine cost me a little over $20 back in the mid 1990's. They are definitely worth having and really come in handy for custom color mixing.

As far as the comments you made about the cockpit looking darker, you're absolutely correct. I think they do too. Some people also lighten the colors used to achieve what they call "scale effect", but that's another whole science there... It seems that the smaller the scale, the lighter they make the color to make it "resemble" the effects of the real full sized item. I have never done this, but I have read where some have... interesting.

I was really shocked at how much of a difference the sunlight vs shade had as an effect on the appearance of the colors. I was almost tempted to take the book back outside earlier today during the brightest part of the day and do another comparison...

But my wife wanted to go out and grab a Greek salad for lunch instead. Her idea sounded much better... and I shelved my thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback.

I brought out the Hasegawa 1/48 scale Ki-61's for a little comparison tonight.

I hope this will help you determine which version of the Ki-61 you have... long or short nose.

Please stay tuned for the next installment, and I hope you all enjoy it.

• Profile Photo

Tonight's installment will show you how to tell the difference between the "Long" and "Short" nosed versions of the Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien.

To begin with, over at a website called "Modeling Madness", there's a kit research area. A gentleman has complied a list of the various different plastic sprues that are used in different Hasegawa kits for Japanese Aircraft from WW2. I took this picture using my phone and posted it here to help explain.

The parts used in the long and short nosed Hasegawa kits are very similar. The way they are listed here are as parts "A" or "Ad" and "B" or "Bd". The "A" and "B" is for the longer fuselage and the other parts listed as "Ad" and "Bd" are for the shorter version.

It also lists the kit by the kit number to distinguish which kit has the shorter "or longer" parts included.

Here are the actual parts sitting stacked with the shorter version on the bottom.

Using our trusted red tipped tooth pick, here you can see the differences.

This is the shorter version. Parts #17 and 18 are the only addition on this tree that are not present on the long nose version. I think they are a set of tail wheel doors. Not sure...

The real plane came into service first with the shorter nose. Later as they increased the armament, the nose of the plane was lengthened to accommodate heavier weaponry.

Here is the longer version. You can see where they lengthened the nose. A section was lengthened just ahead of the wings and behind the engine. I'm pointing at the lengthened area with the toothpick here.

The Germans did the same type of thing with the FW-190 when they changed over from the A-4 to the A-5 variants.

Other than that, these plastic sprues are the same.

Here I have taped them together to show just how much of a difference there is between the long and the short nosed versions.

The long nose is obviously on the right in the next photo.

Here they are laid side by side.

Now some of you are probably wondering just how this one stacks up against the new tool Tamiya Ki-61, (which happens to be a long nosed variant).

So I placed the Tamiya Port side against the Hasegawa Starboard side. The area including the rear fuselage and tail assemble looked almost identical. The Tamiya kit is closest to us in this picture.

Even the panel lines on the rear of the fuselage lined up almost perfectly. This picture shows the underside of the fuselage halves. The Tamiya kit is on the left side in this picture shown below.

As we move farther toward the front of the fuselage, the differences become more visible. Here in this photo below, the Tamiya kit is closer to us.

It appears as if the major differences occur where the windshield is attached. It's really hard to distinguish here because the way the windshield is attached is different between the two kits. Here the Tamiya kit is on the left.

The next picture was taken from under the nose. The Tamiya kit is on the right and appears to be a little longer than the Hasegawa version.

This next picture shows the overall difference between the two kits. The Tamiya is on the left side in this next photo.

Finally here's a set of decals I have for the Tamiya kit, in case I decide not to use the kit supplied options. Unfortunately, two of these are for the short nosed version, and I only have one of those in my stash. It looks like I will have to build the "Shidenkai No Maki" if I want to build a short nosed plane...

The short nosed version was used more widely by the Japanese during the War. Unfortunately, we don't have a new tool Tamiya kit with a shorter nose...yet. But one can dream.

The Hasegawa kit is still a very nice model. Depending on how this goes, I might just have to build up a short nose version... 🙂

as usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks for stopping by...