1/48 Tamiya Mitsubishi G4M1 Type 11 Betty WWII PTO

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 88 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 2 months ago:

OOPS! Sorry! I missed that detail, Chuck. Great minds think alike.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Rather be "Bailed" than Cleavered. At least your civil.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Masking time, I will be using E-Z masks for the Betty, I have used this on the Lancaster and other models before. I have used Montex, the older Eduards masks before which at times will leave a residue on the canopy when I removed them after painting, which is difficult to remove. Which can be frustrating. I have used these before without encountering that issue. The masks are of a vinyl material, easy to place on each panel. For the Betty they are blue. Prior sets have been red. The newer much improved Eduards sets are yellow, which I believe is the same material of Tamiya's masking tape.

The first placement is applied under the nose bombardiers observers window.

Normally I would start front to back, but this time I will start with the small windows along the LH side of the fuselage, which are only 2 of them. Then the side blisters.

Next the top blister behind the canopy.

Next up the windows on the nose and bombardiers nose glazing.

Now work on that canopy.

Finally the tail gunners glazing.

Despite the supposedly masking sets to help mask a multi panel canopy on WWII type multi engine aircraft. It still does not really make them quicker to apply. Off and on it took me about a month to apply them all in steps it just gets to tedious at times. Just do a panel, put it aside and work on something else.

But walla it is done finally, and now to go over the airframe and prepare to paint. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 2 months ago:

It shouldn't be much longer and you will be painting on some green !

That's when things really start to show how much progress has been made.

Looking forward to seeing your next installment.
    Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Finally done with all the masking off all those windows. A quick once over the air frame. Time to Airbrush the interior green over the window framing. Starting with the canopy hatch.

Then the rear gunners window.

Next the blisters and canopy.

Then the nose and not to forget the bombardiers window under the nose.

Now the tedious process of pre shading the panel lines, and this bird has a lot of them with overlapping skin plates around the cylindrical design of the fuselage. Or a cigar if you remove the wings. Starting with the under surfaces. Using Tamiya Flat Black.

Then going over the upper surfaces, wings and tail. And of course the flaps as well.

Yep lots of panels. Yep just a few...

Once the preshading process was completed. I masked off the bomb and landing gear bays to prepare for the Grey. Next up. Done with painting for now. More to follow.

• Profile Photo

I will use Aeromaster Warbird Acrylic IJN Light Grey for the under surfaces.

Airbrushing the Grey overall under the wings, fuselage and tail.

Will let it sit and will apply the tutone camo scheme on the upper surfaces once the grey sets. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 1 month ago:

That thing has more glass than a greenhouse farm. Keep up the good work Chuck.

• Profile Photo

It does and took me 2 weekends to mask it all. Few panels at a time. Very tedious step.

• Profile Photo
    Ian Foulkes said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Fantastic build, can't wait to see the end result!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years ago:

Thanks Ian, it is going together rather very well and now finally getting her painted is quite an exciting step for this long term project.

• Profile Photo

It takes about 2 hours to airbrush the 2 color upper scheme on the Betty. I used Tamiya JASDF Brown and Dk Green for the paint scheme

Starting with the Brown, and at first it looked too light. But as it dried if got a bit darker. Still I ran and looked at some photos and other builds and I was happy to see that this was going to be ok. Painting in areas of the upper and sides that would be in this color.

I love using Tamiya as it sprays very well out of the brush, no issues in clogging which comes real handy near the demarcation lines and feather that edge. One thing you hate when it spatters. And then clogs at the wrong moment. Really is there a good moment when it does?

Next to apply the 2nd color, Dk Green over the unpainted section with some overlap into the Brown.

Again the sides and around the nacelles and stabilizers. Despite it's size. It was a relatively easy paint session. The paint performed very well. And for a change very if any issues in applying the paint. Nice...

Now to let it sit and set before masking off for the anti glare panel on the nose and cowlings.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years ago:

Looking fantastic,Chuck! That post-shading is really setting this off beautifully! Great stuff!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

Ooh, that’s pretty. Well, If your definition of pretty is a 12 ton killing machine.

A whole lotta Betty.

Well done, and a joy to read and watch.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, you know as I first started on this project I was just finishing up the Lancaster. The Betty is a pretty large aircraft. So for comparison, I carefully placed the Betty on top of the Lancaster for comparison.
    Thanks D-L- it is quite large as you correctly stated so for both you and Paul you can see how large it is compared to the Lanc.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years ago:

I'm no aircraft technician Chuck, but they seem to be close to the same length but with markedly different wingspans, even accounting for the 4 engines of the Lanc. Thanks for the comparison. Very interesting!