1/72 Hasegawa Mirage F.1C in Hellenic Air Force Markings

Started by George R Blair Jr · 43 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Hasegawa, Hellenic Air Force, Mirage, Mirage F.1c, Mirage F.1CG
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). As usual, Spiros, you have the needed knowledge at the tip of your fingers. The info with the decals said this scheme was on the plane in 2003, and Wikipedia says the F.1CG was retired in 2003, so I figured this scheme had a limited life span. I suspect that this will be my last Mirage for a while, but I do have a HAF F-4 in my future. I still have some stuff to do on this F1. I need to add the machine guns to the empty troughs on the kit, paint the various details and landing gear, and I also want to try using some AK watercolor pencils for some light weathering. Of course, I also need to replace the missing canopy. I keep hoping it will turn up, but nothing yet.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Looking great there George! If you decide to have a go at building the other kit and not using it as spares do let me know, and I shall try to source a new hood for you - just PM me, and I'll be charging out the door searching.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Erik (@airbum). I have already used the canopy from the second kit and sprayed it to match the paint on the model. I am still hoping to find the missing canopy. As my luck usually goes, the missing part will turn up after I don't need it anymore.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years ago:

Looking fantastic George - the paint looks great.
    Maybe take it outside in the sun to see the 'true' colours?
    I think the smell of the AK Real Colors keep me away for some reason and makes me fall towards Tamiya.
    Finger crossed for that canopy, I've found missing parts either folded up in instructions or behind bookshelves and under cabinets in my hobby room to name a few. A friend of mine told me, "Remember...you always find what you're looking for in the last place you look." 😉

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George (@georgeswork). I really thought the best way to find the missing canopy would be to start painting the replacement, since missing things always turn up when you don't need them anymore. I finished painting the new canopy yesterday and still no missing canopy. The lamp I have on my hobby table has a "daylight" bulb in it, so I hope I am seeing colors close to what they should be. We are having a round of violent storms here in Texas, with tornadoes and softball-sized hail, so the outdoor idea will have to wait a few days. The odor from Real Colors hasn't really bothered me, so far, but I have a paint booth that vents the smell outside, which somewhat diminishes the problem. Thanks for coming by.

• Profile Photo

I wanted to try some new weathering techniques on this plane. I have seen some videos on AK Weathering Pencils, which seemed like they might be interesting to use. I bought a handful of the pencils, and off I went.

They are basically watercolor pencils that are similar to the ones that an artist might use. The pencils release their color when they have come into contact with water, which activates the color in a hopefully controlled manner. There are two ways to activate the pencils: (1) Dip the pencil tip in water, and then apply the color to the model, or (2) Apply paint to the model and then apply the pencil to the wet areas. Once applied, you can use a damp/wet brush to clean up extra color and move the color where you want it. It seems to work best on non-glossy surfaces, since there is a little tooth to hold the paint, but I think it would work for panel lines over a gloss finish. I discovered you need to move fairly quickly because it will quickly stain the clear coat and be almost impossible to remove. I learned this the hard way, but managed to remove most of the unwanted effects using mineral spirits. I am not sure I like this any better than my normal weathering using artist's oils and mineral spirits.

I finally finished the last bits on the model. I added some plastic rod to represent the missing machine guns, and then replaced the blade antenna under the nose of the airplane. The Eduard photoetch set had canopy frames for the forward and rear canopy that contained some gauges on the front frame and rearview mirrors on the rear frame. This set was for the Special Hobby Mirage, so I wasn't surprised to see that the rear frame didn't fit the canopy at all. I added to strips of plastic to represent the mirrors, painted them black and silver, and called it good. The front frame looked like it would be a reasonable fit, so I added it to the front canopy frame. Once in place, it goes a long way toward making the cockpit look as busy as it should. The cockpit is all black and it is very difficult to see much when you look inside. I mention this because after I took the pictures of the finished plane I discovered that the front piece for the canopy frame is tilted to the left. It is amazing the things you miss until you take the pictures. Anyway, I will fix this later.

This was a fun plane to build, even with all of the missteps that I made. I really liked the way the plane looked after I drilled out the holes in the speed brakes. I don't wouldn't do something like that, preferring to use a black wash to fill the depressions where the holes should be. I don't normally build 1/72 planes, so there is still some room on my shelf that I have reserved for my 1/72 fleet. Now, on to something larger. :o) Cheers

9 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Thanks for sharing this technique, George @gblair
    I'm still looking into a good weathering technique since I still do not control weathering very well.
    Your shelf has some interesting builds.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

George, you nailed this build very well! looking good.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb) and Erik (@airbum). Weathering is one of those things that each person decides what they like and what they don't. I keep trying different stuff, but artist oils and mineral spirits seem to work best for me. You have to have a really good coat of acrylic before you use oils, or the oils/mineral spirits dissolve the top coat.

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years ago:

Great build George and the paint techniques you have used are very impressive. You have given me great ideas for mine when I eventually get the the paint shop! A fabulous build and the detail you achieved in 1/72 is incredible. Thanks for the updates which were most enjoyable and look forward to your next build!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

As Dirty Harry would quote, "I kind of passed over that final build posting, due to all the excitement of seeing the finished model article at the headlines"...

Well, I read your final thread posting only this morning, @gblair!

The weathering pencils look interesting, though I will not rush to buy and use them.

Love what you did with the cockpit: it is simply miraculous for the scale, realistically representing the busy actual looks!

Also, excellent extra detailing allover: those air brakes make a difference!

Congratulations, my friend!

Looking forward to your next build!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Adrian (@adrianstarling) and Spiros (@fiveten). Thanks for posting your photos, Spiros, which prompted this build. Also thanks to Adrian, since your build prompted me to do a little more detailing.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Adrian (@adrianstarling) and Spiros (@fiveten). Thanks for posting your photos, Spiros, which prompted this build. Also thanks to Adrian, since your build prompted me to do a little more detailing.