1/72 Twin-Tail Beaufighter

Started by George R Blair Jr · 70 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Airfix, Alley Cat Models, Beaufighter TF.X, twin-tails
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Louis (@lgardner), you are thinking way ahead of me. My biggest problem is that new and shiny things pull my attention away from where I am. I am thinking of calling this affliction MADS or Modelers Attention Deficit Syndrome. So when a new brand or type of paint comes out, I naturally have to buy some to try it out. So, I have Dark Earth in 40 or 50 different brands and types (just kidding, but you get the idea). In my art classes you learn pretty quickly that some paints dry lighter and some paints dry darker. The trick is remembering which is which.

• Profile Photo

I applied the decals today. Most of the decals came from the kit, but I added a few from my spares. The "P" prototype decals, as well as the registration numbers, were supplied with the resin conversion. The kit decals were very good, and they included some very small stencils. All of them were applied with MicroSol and MicroSet, and they all seemed to snuggle down just fine. After they dry overnight, it will be time to apply some flat clear.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

This Beau is racing towards the finish line, George @gblair,
    And what an excellent finish it is going to be!
    Excellent looks!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Looking great with the P and all.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Looking great, George. @gblair
    Is that a glossy coat which you applied before adding the decals?

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), Eric (@airbum), and John (@JohnB). I always apply the color coats using flat paints like Tamiya or AK Real Colors. After that, I apply a clear gloss in preparation for the decals. In this case, I used Tamiya Clear Gloss diluted about 50% with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner. I apply the gloss in a couple of thin coats. I let the decals dry for around 24 hours, then seal them with clear flat. I used Tamiya Flat diluted around 50%. I let this flat coat dry for about 24 hours, then do any weathering I plan to do. I usually finish up with Mig Ultra-Matt Lucky Varnish, especially if I have used any powders or chalks.

• Profile Photo

I wanted to try out the panel line wash made by Flory Models. These washes, made in England, have a clay base. The videos I have seen show that you just brush it on the whole surface, let it dry for a while, then wipe it off. They are a little hard to find in the US. The only distributor I could find is a hobby shop in Colorado that is apparently inside of a hardware store. They have quick service, as I got the washes just a couple of weeks after I ordered them. They work as advertised, sort of. If you apply them over a gloss surface, they wipe right off. If you use them over a flat surface, it takes some work to get the excess wash off. I ended up using some damp paper towels and Q-Tips to finally get the excess off. It probably would have been easier to remove the excess if I had applied it before I added the gear doors, pitot, and so on. I only managed to knock off two landing gear doors as I removed the excess panel wash. Could have been worse. I sprayed some black engine exhaust near the engine exhausts (coincidence?), and did some panel fading using oil paints on just a few panels. I finished up with a light coat of Mig super flat clear. With that, this kit is done. Yeah.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Well done my friend! It looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Have "seen" you already at the headlines, but, what a great finish, my friend George @gblair!
    Panel washes look good!
    Thanks for the lovely ride!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

It looks fantastic, George.