1:24 Scratch built South African Air Force Dassault Mirage F1 AZ No. 217

Started by Adrian Starling · 63 · 3 years ago · 1/24, Mirage F1 AZ, scratch built
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Nice solution with the tipping tip 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Final retrospective elements and now we go live for all future updates - main wings/ slats, elevator wings, tail/ landing chute housing and ventral stakes. The SAAF modified the ventral stakes to house chaff/ flare dispensers which was unique-images showing the differences. A complicated set of main wings as the underside is convex at the fuselage connection moving to concave at the wing tip - seen in the set of all parts in picture 9 ( lots of rejected attempts before getting it right). The rest is self explanatory and I hope you enjoy!

26 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for bringing us up to speed on this fabulous build. Looking forward to the rest of the journey Adrian. (Uploading a lot of files can be problematic at times, glad you kept at it!)

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

A very productive day, Arian.
    And impressive results, very nice.

• Profile Photo

Great Erik, I thought that but I managed to get them uploaded without issue and now it will be a bit of time before the next post!

• Profile Photo

Many thanks John, it’s now back to the Ace for a while!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

This is such spectacular progress, Adrian @adrianstarling! I am really amazed by the size difference with the quarter scale Esci/Italeri!
    I am also impressed with the ingenious SAAF mod to fatten the strakes and house flares there.
    You guys are such amazing innovators!
    Your F.1 craftsmanship is equally amazing!

• Profile Photo

Spiros, the Italeri 1/48 gives a good indication of the size! The talented team at Atlas/ Denel were incredibly creative and developed many outstanding innovations including the HUD in the early 80’s. Many thanks for your kind words and now for an interim break from the F1!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Well - now I may have to trash my S. African F-1 and start over! I had no idea of the differences. Love seeing this project come together - looking fantastic.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Greg, a few deviations on the SAAF variants but very easy to scratch them with a man of your experience! Your kind words are appreciated Greg.

• Profile Photo

Got sucked in over the weekend on this as it is a very slow burner and has been going for a while and continues! The main gear of the F1 is extremely complicated as you know and with the weight of the monster, I decided to go with brass for strength and hopefully it will hold up. The internal gear bays have been roughly built and a lot more finishing and detailing is still required. I attached a few pics showing the jig I used for the main gear legs and I hope the rest is self explanatory! I hope you enjoy and updates will come much later when all parts are complete and final assembly begins -till then!

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Adrian, the WOW-factor is still very high! Nice work indeed - Will be looking forward to the next updates, even though there may be further between them from now 🙂

• Profile Photo

Erik, you are right, far between! Many hours of little progress but lots of fulfilment and hoping for the finishing line for each part and I suppose that is what keeps us motivated in our great hobby. Really appreciate your motivating words, thank you!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Incredible craftmanship, Adrian.
    How did you get those brass parts together, did you solder those?

• Profile Photo

Yes John, I soldered the main 2 gear legs and items on them I used CA. All other parts will move until the aircraft is standing in the correct position where I will then solder the front gear arms to hopefully secure the structure!