1/35 Trumpeter Mi-24 Czech Air Force

Started by George Johnson · 16 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 8 years, 6 months ago:

I started this beast a few months ago and put it down until last week. I decided I was going to detail the rotors as much as I could so here they are. The main is pretty much finished and the tail is being painted. I added hydraulic lines using very fine copper wire and insulation from model rail road hook-up wire.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 8 years, 6 months ago:

George, a truely satisfying piece of detailing. I was going to do this sometime next year, but having seen one or two spectacular examples at Telford recently, I think I may focus my ever-diminishing reserves of modelling stamina to other projects.

Looking forward to more of this build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Rob. It's been a bit of a frustrating build so far. I'm using the Verlinden Resin cockpit and had a bit of trouble with it (probably my fault), and painting it is a bit of a pain, but it seems to be coming along. The two stubby wings are pretty much done, but they were a total nightmare. Nothing fit properly and required a lot of fiddling and swearing, but now those look good, too.

• Profile Photo

I included some WIP shots showing some of the gaps and fixes. I have to say that Trumpeter always has nice engines in their kits and these were a breeze to bild. I added a little extra plumbing and will probably add more later in the build.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Work on the 1/35 Trumpeter Mi-24 continues. I finished up the tail rotor and it looks pretty good. Working on the interior now and just started painting and weathering it a little. I didn't use the Verlinden floor so I just added all those extra details myself. I plan on painting the crew area today.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 8 years, 6 months ago:

This is looking pretty good! I wan't to build this kit myself at some point. You've got a good taste in modelling subjects, right up my street!

• Profile Photo

I haven't taken any in-progress images of my 1/35 Trumpeter Mi-24 in a few days. Here some from last night. Lots of little things that still have to be done to the cockpit before I close up the fuselage. I've accidentally chipped the paint so that needs to be touched up, the engine compartment floor will be detailed after the halves are joined and all the gaps filled, sanded and painted. I added what looks like some kind of flight data recorder to the tail section that will show through the photo-etch screen that still needs to be added. The landing gear bays are attached and detailed. Most of the passenger/crew/storage area won't be seen that well after everything gets closed up, but at least it's detailed. I made a new cartridge chute for the nose gun and added a few details here and there.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Great work here George, the detailing on the rotor heads is top notch.
    Nice work all round mate.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Excellent effort - love the detail you put into your builds.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 6 months ago:

That sure is gonna be an eye-catcher...excellent work!

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 8 years, 5 months ago:

It's been even longer since I've posted anything, but work continues on my 1/35 Trumpeter Mi-24 of the Czech Air Force. This is such a cool camo scheme. I've got it painted for the most part and I've started weathering it. The rocket launchers actually turned out better than expected. They are depicted as hollow barrels. I took one apart after I assembled it and damaged it so I'm combining the two types as see in my picture. I detailed the engine compartment a little and eliminated all the joint seams. Photos of the real thing show either a light blue or gray interior so I chose the light blue to add some contrast. The sheen you see is from using Testors Metal sealer thinned with butyl acetate thinner. This produces a finish impervious to mineral spirits paint thinners. I'm hoping to have this thing done by Christmas. The landing gear have been repaired and will be installed later.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 8 years, 5 months ago:

A few more pics.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Lloyd King said 8 years, 5 months ago:

Great job, Love the extra details that you have added

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Here's the latest installment in my Mi-24 saga. Got a lot done today. More to go.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Almost done with my 1/35 scale Trumpeter Mi-24 in Czech AF colors. Need to add the engine compartment doors, front wheel door, tail skid, cockpit doors, weapons, and that's about it. All those pieces are finished and only need to be glued on. There's also a door cable or two. I should have it done soon.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.