1/48 AMT A-20 Havoc

Started by Louis Gardner · 12 · 6 years ago · 1/48, A-20, AMT, Havoc
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

This is a plane that I started several years ago. It is gong to be completed in a Pre War natural metal finish, based on a plane that I found a few photos of in the Squadron book that I really liked. I masked off the red, white and blue rudder stripes and started covering the plane in various shades of Bare Metal Foil.

It was coming along nicely when a small disaster struck, which caused me to park it on a shelf inside my display case where it sat for long time... at least several years.

Pardon the dust.

Here's a picture of the box top:

and the Squadron Signal "In Action" book I have for a reference...where the pictures are found that inspired this build.

Previously I had assembled the kit wheels, and did not like how they looked. So I ended up getting a resin replacement set that came along with a life raft, that I may eventually use on another A-20 build in the future.

Tonight I was able to saw the replacement resin wheels from the pour block. Then it was quite easy to sand away the excess resin that was left after sawing. Once the wheels were ready for paint I gave them a spray... along with all of the other wheels I was working on tonight for the planes in the Midway Group Build.

I mentioned above that a small disaster struck this plane when I was originally starting the build. What happened was as I removed some of the Bare Metal Foil that was adjoining the ailerons and elevators, the adhesive on the foil pulled away the "Aluminum Dope" finish that I had sprayed on the control surfaces.

While the plane was sitting in the display case, another small disaster happened...

We live in sunny Florida where it gets really hot during the Summer. Last Summer, we had our garage door open, and the sunlight was reflecting off the mirrors in the back of the case. The sunlight / radiant heat caused the Bare Metal Foil to bubble some, in one particular shade of foil. The others were not affected.

Thank God, the plastic didn't warp...

Here's a small photo of the areas I'm describing above:

I also had sprayed the engine cowlings using Model Master "Metallizer" paint, and then buffed it out.

Two days ago I sprayed the engines and started the base color painting process. The engines still need some detail paint work.

This is where I'm currently at with this build.

I had made a New Years resolution to try and finish up most of the started models that were collecting dust... This one is number two for the year, since I recently finished the M-60 tank that I was once a crew member in.

As usual, comments are encouraged...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Over the last few days during small breaks on my Midway Group builds, I managed to get a little more work done on the A-20.

To begin with I repainted the engine cylinders, pushrods and rocker arm covers in various Model Master "Metalizer" shades. Then the engines were given a light wash of Windsor and Newton's Lamp black.

They look pretty decent once temporarily placed inside the cowling.

This is how they look from the side:

Then I tackled the major problem of peeling off paint on the control surfaces...

I masked off the red and white rudder stripes, then sprayed "Easy Off" oven cleaner onto the plane. After several attempts, the offending paint was gone.

Here's a close up of the tail surfaces.

and in this photo I started peeling away the bad places in the Bare Metal Foil. This stuff really sticks when you don't want it too... 🙂

Here's a close up of how the oven cleaner affected the Bare Metal Foil. It discolored the foil a little. Enough to warrant replacement...

So I will probably end up having to remove most (if not all) of the Bare Metal Foil and starting over again...

To be continued.

Thanks for following along.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 11 months ago:

The down side of foil! I'll remember that. I got excited by foil again recently when I was at an IPMS meeting and a guy I know had a Monogram F-104G he'd foiled. It really looked good!
    I tend to forget how fragile our creations are.
    Good luck with the removal process. That is a shame!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Great build. I've used Bare metal foil also many moons ago. This was for a DC-3 and in the end worked out fine for me. The challenge you have to replace the damaged Bare metal foil shows how sticky it is indeed. Good luck with the progress, and love the engine detail you did.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Bernard this is the first time I have ever had a problem with anything that I covered in Bare Metal Foil. It simply could have been due to exposure to excess heat / sunlight in my mirror lined display case. Or I may have had some contaminant on the surface of the model that didn't agree with the foil. Lastly it could have been a bad sheet of foil, simply because the bubbling effect was isolated to only one shade of foil, and so far I had only used one particular sheet as material on the plane in that color. The staining was caused by my attempt to remove the existing metalizer paint with oven cleaner.

Thanks for the words of encouragement... I'm not giving up on it.

Ferry, the residue left behind by this foil is very sticky. I'm going to attempt to remove the residual adhesive with rubbing alcohol in a small location first, to see what the results are. I really like the finish that the foil gives a model. It's a really cool way to replicate various shades of metal. Especially when you use very fine steel wool to make even more variations in the material. I normally use 3 different shades as a start and go from there.

Thanks for the compliments on the engines.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Great work, Lou. I have full confidence in you...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Louis, what about Goo Gone? That takes off sticky residue, provided it doesn't mess the underlying plastic. Just a thought.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Louis,
    Love the look of the striped tail and the NMF - are we allowed a sneaky peek at the scheme you are aiming for or...do we have to wait?
    BMF - an art form in itself - cowlings and engines look the part Louis.
    Great to see an old project come back to life

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 9 months ago:

How's it going, Louis? I agree with by Buddy Bernie - try Goo Gone or De-Solv.

You have waaaaay more patience & skill than I. Foil is still beyond my reach. It is beautiful, but not for me.

Yet.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement. I have some 3M adhesive remover that I use out in my shop on automobile restorations. I was thinking about giving it a try on an old model first just in case it was too strong. If it is, then Goo Gone or something like it would be an excellent idea. Thanks for suggesting this...

I have been working on the Panther tank in the "Year of the Cat" GB, plus I have started a trio of F6F Hellcats (also for the same GB), and a pair of Nakajima Ki-27 "Nates" here on the "W.I.P." section.

This is the look I was going for:

something simple... Pre War, US National insignia in 4 places. Two "US Stars" (with red centers) on the upper wings, Two matching stars on the undersides of the wings. (possibly "U.S. ARMY" under the wings in dark blue of black).

I think it will look great with the lines on the A-20...

I really like using Bare Metal Foil. But I have found that in some places with compound curves, these areas are best painted in a metallic finish. This is what I have to paint on first, after I get the old adhesive removed.

I promise to get busy with this one soon...

Thanks again for the encouraging words and ideas... Take care, and please stay posted for some more updates.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Not a look you would immediately associate with an A-20 Havoc/Boston - an inspired pick Louis.
    Looking forward to the next instalment...

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Lou, it is now more than 6 months since you last posted about this build. I'm assuming the GBs you're involved with, as well as finishing your old M60A1 (A1, right - not an A3?) have delayed this great airplane build.

Any-hoo, have you gotten off all the adhesive left over from the BMF? Inquiring minds want to know & all that. I'll be talking with you soon with some more questions, if possible & you're feeling better.

While I didn't know much about the A-20 when I was learning about aircraft, in later life I have learned how important they really were. That and ... well, they just look cool! The original picture of the 3 in VERY tight formation is a great one! Had I seen that photo back in the late 50s/early 60s when I was getting into airplanes and modeling, I'd have done one long ago!