1/48 Fw-190D-9 (Hobby Boss)

Started by Anders Isaksson · 29 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 10 years, 6 months ago:

Truly amazing detail work for that (or any) scale. I only wish I had the patience - to say nothing of the talent - to create such a true piece of craftsmanship.

• Profile Photo
    Anders Isaksson said 10 years, 5 months ago:

A belated thanks for the comment, Craig!
    I was planning to post an update sooner but other stuff have (as usual) gotten in the way.

Not much to show, but the gear legs have received a final dark wash and are now done...

...while the main wheels have been treated with a few layers of pigments to simulate dried mud and dust.

No doubt I will have to redo the pigment application after fiddling with the wheels when mounting them on each leg but I was just too curious to see how they would turn out.

Now it really is time to get started on that camouflage! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks for telling about the BMF for the oleos. I'll try it on my Bf 109.

• Profile Photo

Another minor update to keep things going on this project...

I finally managed to get started on the camouflage, and having come this far I feel the results are something of a mixed bag.
    First, the pattern on the wings needs some adjustment here and there...

...but the aft fuselage and tail will need a complete repaint, as the RLM 82 on the spine and tail came out looking a bit rough.
    The reason for this was that I hoped to get away with doing the mottling using my old 0,2 mm needle and nozzle. I finally switched a new 0,15 mm needle/nozzle for the RLM 83 and tried it out on the nose. Better! 🙂

The difference in the appearance between the nose and the aft fuselage can be appreciated from this angle.

I can see now that the wingroots need more work too.
    Sure looks like multipe applications of all three colours (76/82/83) will be needed until the camouflage is finally done... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Not to rub it in but I can do that in 1/72. With my left hand 🙂 !

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

I have indeed seen evidence that you can, Magnus!
    Actually I thought it would be easier in the larger 48th scale but I feel it's a bit of a struggle to get things looking right.

Anyway, got the spinner painted using a surplus Montex mask for the spiral. Pretty easy! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I can do the spiral in 1/72. Freehand... 🙂

Lovely work Anders, looking forward to see it finished. Will you be able to squeeze it into 2013?

Regards Magnus

• Profile Photo

Thanks! 🙂
    I had plans to finish this one before year's end but as slow as things have been going at the bench this last month I am beginning to have my doubts. But all hope is not lost!

• Profile Photo

Ok... the spine and tail has been repainted but not sure the mottling turned out much different the second time.

The nose ring and gun cowling is only temporarily attached in these photos.

The port wingroot could still use some attention, but otherwise I am prepared to call the camouflage done and move on to markings and weathering.

• Profile Photo

Fuselage band is on!

I also decided to delete some of the mottling on the tail that I felt was a little heavy.

A new basecoat of RLM 76 has been applied with a new application of 82 to follow.

• Profile Photo

A little more done this weekend.
    The tail has now been repainted for the second - and final - time. Still not totally happy with the look but I can't be bothered with another repainting session.

The walkway lines were masked off with pre-cut vinyl masks. These are made by Uschi van der Rosten and come in sections that the modeller have to position one by one to achieve the desired pattern. I choose to mask and paint one line at a time.
    Once the mask was in position I broke out the airbrush...

...and applied a dirty white color.
    The whole process took some time and patience but I eventually got them done.

While at it I slapped a pair of Montex masks on the upper wings...

...and had another go with my airbrush.

The second batch of white was a little brighter, making the crosses stand out a little too much. But with some weathering I believe they will blend in better.

So far so good. More masks and markings next.

• Profile Photo
    Anders Isaksson said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Ok, so after letting everything dry (for just around three years) I felt the time was right to continue. 🙂

The exhaust stubs were masked and painted in a suitable brownish color as a base.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Sakal said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Wow!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Looks really great! Individual sprayed walkway stenciling! That's some attention to detail! Probably also just like the manufacturer did it.