1:48 Hasegawa/Eduard Hellcat – Mojo Recovery Project

Started by Don Mk1a · 80 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Don Mk1a said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Doesn't time pass unnoticed when you sit down to a spell of model making? I thought I'd just tinker a little and the evening has gone!

--- pic7 not found ---

Decals seem to be sitting down now after more Microsol and a pressing into the lines with a sharpened cocktail stick.

--- pic1 not found ---

Wheels on, with that distinctive outward tilt, and flats filed at the appropriate angle underneath. I think this is essential to avoid the 'tiptoes look' of a weightless aircraft standing on perfectly circular tires.

--- pic2 not found ---

Engine mounted using gap filling sucky glue. The location was a little bit vague.

--- pic3 not found ---

Almost ready to spray that last bit of white. The edge that crosses the decal I will do at the last moment.

--- pic4 not found ---

I love those steel warheads, whether accurate or not!

--- pic5 not found ---

Cowling fitted over engine after washing with 'oil'. Looks ok but needs wiring up. That will happen to the next one.

--- pic6 not found ---

Here's hope triumphing over experience.

• Profile Photo

Dashed exciting now! I'm nearly finished.

This morning I've sprayed the missing white theatre marking without tearing off the fin flash, which was a relief. I also noticed that the white doesn't extend over the fabric covered rudder. Should it go over the elevator? Eduard says yes but photographs say no. Darn it! I'm not correcting another mistake. I'll leave it as a warning not to use kit instruction sheets as reliable references.

After that masking and faffing about it was pleasant to freehand spray a coat of gloss, tinted slightly with Tamiya Smoke, to unify the decals and the paint and then to start applying a bit of muck from the exhausts and guns.

--- pic1 not found ---

--- pic2 not found ---

It seems quite excessive, especially the guns but according to my references, it's not enough.

--- pic4 not found ---

--- pic5 not found ---

--- pic6 not found ---

--- pic8 not found ---

I'll brush some more grime over it all later when its had a chance to dry. Looking closely at these photos, it's clear that WWII carrier 'planes could be as weathered as a tank! Why do I find it so hard to make them this dirty? Why do models with this level of weathering look so strange to me? I think its the warbirds. Those renovated, rebuilt, polished polyurethane painted paragons of perfection that we see at airshows never show a sign of muck. Come to think of it, ANYTHING that goes to a show gets a good cleaning beforehand. I should know, I was that airman, working late on a Friday night trying to make a Vulcan look 'clean' for the weekend. (and failing, but you get my point.) And I'm accustomed to gas turbine engines which are so much cleaner than their piston-engined precursors , pistoning black oil all over themselves at the earliest opportunity.

There will be muck!

[But not airbrushed. I have a headache and a cough again so I'm declaring a moratorium on spraying until I build myself Spraybay Mk 3. ]

--- pic7 not found ---

There will also be touch-ups. This seems to be a carrier phenomenon. Constant repainting of flaking or damaged paint. Panels sealed against the weather on deck by the quick application of a thick coat of paint. We see it to this day.

--- pic3 not found ---

Here's something else that never seems to be out of fashion - little bits that should already be fitted to the bloody model! In this case, exhaust stubs that should have been glued down before I attached the cowling. Grumble-moan-gnashing-of-teeth. I might be able to slide them in later. (Probably push them too far in and have them rattling around inside forever... Grumble-moan...)

Actually, for all the grumbles, I'm delighted with this model so far. Just to finish would have been satisfying but I actually like it, which is a huge bonus for me.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Really looking good, Don. I think small parts go unnoticed because they are so small on the sprue that our eyes don't see them on the sprue so readily. As the parts leave the sprues during your build, it is easy to notice a large piece forgotten during construction, but not so much for something as small exhausts. If you are like me, you will find all the lost parts and all of the parts that were knocked off right after you put your completed kit in the display case.

• Profile Photo

IT IS FINISHED!

Photos to follow.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George, but I think the reason small parts go unnoticed is interruptions and my chaotic desktop. Now that this first Hellcat is finished, I'm about to reorganise my living room and working area (same thing really). This will also mean painting the walls so there's likely to be a short intermission before I start work on #2. I shall return!

So, I weathered and detail painted in Humbrol enamels. Good fun. Cheap. Nostalgic smell. This is clearly the way to go. I'll spray Tamiya and brush Humbrol as a general rule in future.

--- pic1 not found ---

I'm happy with the underneath. I bodged the white line and rockets problem and made the area really messy with lots of touch ups. In my head, that area of the wing was suffering from the rocket blast and so needed repairs.

--- pic2 not found ---

--- pic3 not found ---

This area is my favorite part. I got the exhaust staining and bootmarks down to my satisfaction

--- pic4 not found ---

--- pic5 not found ---

Yes. The exhausts did fit after the cowling, more or less. The other three parts are much better located than this one which went a bit crooked but was too far in to recover. Ho hum...

--- pic6 not found ---

Ready for business.

--- pic7 not found ---

It has begun.

• Profile Photo

Big thanks to all who added their replies, especially Erik and George for their regular comments. I found it all very encouraging.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

NICELY DONE, Don! sorry - could not resist, but really, WELL DONE! And the space left for future things to come. . looks great. Now you COULD practise your airbrush skills on the livingroom, but then again, that would not be good news for your iModeler channel.
    You just take some time off - you deserve it, and I shall be looking forward to the next build. Thank you for sharing this one - it's been a great ride.

• Profile Photo

You are welcome Erik. I take great pleasure in writing for an appreciative audience.

• Profile Photo

Looks really good on the shelf, but it looks sort of lonely. It needs a brother or a sister to keep it company.

• Profile Photo

Thank you George. My house painting has gone reasonably well and normal service will possibly be resumed tomorrow night.

I’m now thinking that I’ll do the next one as a USN aircraft. The white/blue/bluer scheme is quite appealing.

• Profile Photo

Glad to hear your house is back in order. We are having new downstairs floors put in next week, so just got done moving all the furniture out. Three-tone is a great way to go, but for my money I would go with the post-war scheme for Reserve aircraft: gloss blue all-over with a broad orange stripe near the tail. Maybe for the one after the next one? :o) Enjoyed this build and it looks great!

• Profile Photo

Or one of the drones?

This first one was supposed to be the dark blue overall scheme. I’m afraid I faded it too much, in hindsight.

I’m intending to add a few details this time: seat belts, engine wiring, nothing extreme.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Great-looking model! I too often miss a some of the small pieces I had set out to work on. I just glued the canopy down on my Savage, and then realized the control yokes were still sitting there waiting to be cleaned of flash (more flash and sprue gates than control yoke!) and painted! Oh well - you probably wouldn't have seen much of them anyway...

• Profile Photo

Hi Greg. Oh yes, I've done that sort of thing a lot. My specialty is omitting the gun-sight.

• Profile Photo

--- pic1 not found ---

One of the drones. This one!