1/48 Monogram F4D Phantom

Started by Jaime Carreon · 49 · 8 years ago · F4 Phantom, Monogram
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 6 months ago:

This will be my most personal build to date. It is for one of my best friends whose dad flew the airplane I'm representing in Vietnam in the late sixties. There will be more of the story when I finish the model.

My friend provided the kit, which is the 1987 vintage Monogram F4C/D in the air defense issue. There were a pair of Verlinden ejection seats in the box, which will definitely be a major improvement over the kit seats. The seat bottoms are molded into the cockpit tub, so they had to be removed to get the new seats in. A Dremel rotary file made short work of that. I had to file down the sides of the resin seats to get them to fit, but they look pretty good and will look even better when painted.

And awaaaaay we go...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Alan Rush said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Good start Jaime. I have the Monogram F-4C which is probably a reboxing. If I ever get to it the extra seats would be a good idea. A small part that really changes the look of the whole cockpit.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Nice start on this classical kit of a classical aircraft, Jaime 🙂 Can t wait to see yours unfold, have a lot of fun with it, there is much fun in the box !
    Did this kit last year, and it won t be the last Monogram F-4
    positive:
    good and accurate form
    in some ways better than Hasegawa
    well detailed

not so good
    everything on the surface is raised, slats,flaperons,flaps...
    the cockpit tub fit bad at the back
    The intakes fit not very well too
    not much detail in the burner cans
    the windscreen frames look a bit odd

My idea was to prime the whole thing black, apply the camo and sand it smoothly to the point, the dark colored panel line came out, this worked really good on the underside, but i managed a major painting mess on the upperside. I had to get all the paint of, with a lot of the raised lines, in the end i recreated the lines with small black decal lines and sprayed them carefully over. Not my best effort but it landed on the shelf and not in the doom box.

Cheers
    Bernd

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Go for it Jaime, one of my all time faves.
    Will follow with interest.

• Profile Photo

After cutting down the seats to fit the cockpit tub, I washed them in dish detergent and water to get the mold release off. I'm lazy and don't like pulling the airbrush out to paint just a few little things (what I really don't like is cleaning it all up!), so the seats were painted with some rattle can Rustoleum high heat flat black that I had around. This was followed by a dark gray wash to tone down the black and highlight some of the details. Once that's good and dry, I'll get to painting the cushions, seat belts etc before doing a final silver drybrushing to liven everything up.

Bernd, thanks for the heads up on the kit. I've never built one of these, but I'll keep an eye out for the gotchas!

• Profile Photo

Two hours of work today resulted in a couple of seats being painted. I was a little disappointed that Martin Baker seats aren't a little more colorful! These were painted using photos off the interweb as a reference. The photo shows I need to do a little touch up...

Seats were painted flat black using Rustoleum high heat paint from a rattle can, toned down with a dark gray wash. The areas around the headrest are olive drab out of the little square Testor's bottles. Cushions are field drab, also from the Testor's little bottles. Seatbelts are neutral gray with chrome silver buckles. Details picked out in silver, then the whole thing was given a black wash.

My modeling mentor from many years ago once told me that the idea of building a scale model is not to create an exact replica of an airplane, but to make everyone else think you did. So that's what I tried to do...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Beautiful job on the bang seats Jaime. I think a well done seat is the easiest way to dress up a cockpit. Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the cockpit, it's possibly the most accurate F4 cockpit available with the exception of the seats.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Well done Jaime, i think the seats are the most visible part of the cockpit, together with Monograms nice cockpit a really good start.
    Well done, can t wait to see more.

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good, Jaime. Since you're on vacation you'll be done in no time!

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Managed to find a little more time for the Phantom this afternoon. Cockpit tub is painted and details were picked out by drybrushing with white, then picking out random switches and knobs with yellow and red. The aftermarket seats didn't have the ejection loops above the headrest, so I modified the kit parts and added them.

Got a bit of a scare when I broke the the aft cockpit control stick in half trying to trim it off the sprue. I couldn't find the missing piece and was about to dive into the junk box when it turned up right under my nose (and a piece of paper towel). I'll get to the instrument panels next, and then the cockpit will be ready for final assembly.

But first, there must be more revenue generation. 🙁

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I think the "old" Monogram kits were the best domestic kits out there back in the day. Most of 'em can STILL hold their own - especially when comparing prices with the imports. And those seats DO look nice.

• Profile Photo

The good - the cockpit is well on the way to being finished. It's finished in dark gull gray with black panels and consoles. Details drybrushed in silver and white, with a few switches picked out in red and yellow to brighten things up, although jet fighter cockpits are actually pretty drab places. I was happy to see that once everything came together, the cockpit looked properly busy. Seats were installed with some 5-minute epoxy. They are a huge improvement over the kit parts and I recommend you use aftermarket seats if you build this model. Front cockpit is basically done. I had to add some scrap plastic sheet in the rear pit where the rudder pedals would be, as the kit part leaves this open. I broke the rear stick again, so as soon as the glue sets up, I'll get it and the rear instrument panel in place and the cockpit will be done.

The bad - skipped ahead a bit and glued the wings together. All three wing parts were warped pretty badly, but some tube glue and bunch of clothespin clamps took care of most of that. The fuselage halves are warped as well, as is the cockpit tub. It'll be a bit of a job getting everything there to fit correctly.

I'll try to add a few pics later...

• Profile Photo

Fuselage warp shows up pretty well in this shot. It took every one of those clothespins to hold the wing together.

A few shots of the cockpit. Glued the front part of the tub in place and will pull the back half in after letting the glue set overnight. Might have to do a little trimming to get it all in. The radar scope faces were first painted chrome silver, then gone over with a green Sharpie. Fit is not very good at all, but it does look like an F4 cockpit. The joys of old model kits!

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Outstanding work Jaime. The cockpit looks like you could climb in and start flipping switches.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Great progress Jaime. as Rick said, the cockpit looks very realistic. It seems we can watch a really nice F-4 grow up.