1/48 Monogram F4D Phantom

Started by Jaime Carreon · 49 · 8 years ago · F4 Phantom, Monogram
  • Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Good stuff, Jaime. Beat to fit, paint to match!

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Jaime, as you say, a lot to live up to, not just for your mate's Dad, but for the Phantom itself. Many aficionados of this iconic aircraft out there, looking over your shoulder.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 5 months ago:

The fuselage is now glued together. I had to add some more scrap plastic sheet under the cockpit floor to cover some gaps, and not knowing if this was going to be a tail sitter, I put some weight into the nose.

It took a fair amount of tube glue, half a mile of tape and a bunch of clamps to get everything together. Most of it came out ok, but the vertical fin fit was horrible and it leans to starboard a few degrees. There may be some heated persuasion and some new colorful four letter metaphors in my future. There is a gap between the back left edge of the cockpit tub and the fuselage big enough to drive a tank through, but I think some epoxy and microballoons will take care of that. The warp in wings came out when I glued them together, but they are still a bit twisted where the nose wheel well is. That will come out when the wings are glued to the fuselage. Fit here is surprisingly good with the added benefit of all the seams being pretty much along color separations! I'm debating whether to install the exhaust nozzles now while they are easier to work with. Stabilizer dry fit was terrible - going to have to work on that, too. Talk about beat to fit... :-O

And I seem to have misplaced the propeller...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Seems to be coming along nicely Jaime. Got a feeling the model won't glide any better than the real thing.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Jaime the propellers are in those tubes that go in the back end. I figure all your warping issues can be fixed bu Ulf's young rigger and his crane. Get him to pull your fin straight, then you can send in thr shimmer or the plasma welder and make thr change if if fo fit force it, if it breaks the part wad defective in the first place...lol
    I shouldnt be tying type after I've take my sleep meds. TTYL
    RICK

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Nice progress Jaime, a Monogram kit won t fall together, yours look good, the intake can have a bad fit too, try to thin the connectors of the stabilizers and make them a bit smaller
    until they fit, worked on mine after a lot of cutting and dry fitting.
    After this, you should have a relaxed run to the finish, a F-4 don t need a weight in the nose, but better to have it in !

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Pat in our club has built the Tamiya 1/32 version, which he converted to an RAF type. Apart from the (high) kit cost he invested a lot in aftermarket items, to the point where the investment was so significant he daren't stand down from what proved to be a difficult project. That said, it looks superb, but he still grimaces a little when talking about some parts of the build.

Keep at it!

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Bernd, this could be a lot worse, and I was expecting some of it from your heads up and other reviews I read online. The good thing is I think the worst is over, because all that's left as far as assembly is the landing gear and underwing stores. A little patience with the intakes and stabs should make those come out ok. Dryfitting is the name of the game on this one.

Rob, the only aftermarket bits on this one are the seats and decals. I can't say it's a difficult build, just a bit more challenging than some. The kit had been in storage for quite a while before I got it, which might explain some of the warping.

Hey Rick, do you share? Might need some of what you're taking before this is all over! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Jaime, if I shared, you'd lose your medical, and more important, there wouldn't be enough for me...lol Not to mention the unwanted attention of various law enforcement agencies that are better left unprovoked;-)

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Jaime you performed great on the problem areas, the rest should be more easy
    Keep up the good work !

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I did the Weasel-version of this kit in 1984 or so 🙂 ! This makes me really tempted to try it again!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 4 months ago:

It's been a while since I laid hands on the Phantom. The arrival of a new granddaughter and the holidays ate up quite a bit of time this past few weeks, but it was good time and therefore worth it! The only downside is that my trusty air compressor bit the dust a few weeks ago when the regulator failed. It's old enough so that replacement parts are no longer available, so my good friends at Harbor Freight will be getting a visit from me soon!

I did get some seam scraping done on the wings and fuselage, with putty application to follow soon. The decals, Furball sheet FUR48029 (Gunfighter Phantoms Part 1) and all the appropriate camo paints have been ordered and are on the way. Weather is downright miserable right now, so I'm hoping to get some more work done this weekend.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Sorry to hear about your compressor going tits up mate.
    As for the weather, that is some thing we cannot fix really.
    Looking forward to seeing it finished.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Yes, very sad but i hop you can proceed on your build at some time.
    Every time i start my old compressor i am glad he is running...
    Congratulations to the Grandparents 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 4 months ago:

It's been a while since I've been able to work on this one. Today is the first time in 8 days that the sun has been out and the temps have been above 45 degrees, so my climate controlled garage actually got to a nice toasty 53!

I was finally able to get all the seams filled after letting my tube of putty warm up for about half an hour on the black tonneau cover on my truck. After that, I assembled all the underwing stuff - a pair of ECM pods, two drop tanks and the centerline SUU gun pod. Fit was not good, so good old fashioned tube glue was used once again to hold things together. I used enough so the excess oozed out of the seams, which will make filling them much easier down the road. All the landing gear struts, actuators and wheels were painted on the sprues. Those were surprisingly nice, so minimal cleanup will be required.

The Phantom I'm modeling belonged to the 366th TFW based at Da Nang in early 1969. The Furball Gunfighters Part 1 decal sheet covers this group quite nicely, and the decals are well printed and of excellent quality. The only downside is that there are markings for more Phantoms than I will ever build!

The last shot is just a gee whiz with my other current model project, which is converting my RC MiG-29 park jet from a 72mhz radio to a 2.4G system. The wingspan on the MiG is about 28 inches. It was designed to be flown from smaller fields, such as baseball diamonds and schoolyards.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.