1/48 Monogram F4D Phantom

Started by Jaime Carreon · 49 · 8 years ago · F4 Phantom, Monogram
  • Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Good to see you are back with your Phantom, Jaime !
    And good luck with your Fulcrum project.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Got a little more done to the Phantom today. Sanded all the fuselage seams down. That came out pretty well, but there will be a lot of rescribing needed to restore all the detail I wiped out. Half an our over a pot of boiling water got the fin back to where it should be. It's not perfect, but it's much better than it was. I found myself wishing that Monogram had molded the nose cone and tailhook separately...Ought to be able to get the wings on soon.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Hi, Jamie...can't wait to see her phinished. I've got the [older] Monogram F-4C/D and plan on doing a variation of the Keith Ferris camouflage scheme similar to the F-15 I did a while back.

Monogram 48th F-15C Eagle
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Looking good Jamie, I had the same fit issues on the 1/72d version. Which is why mine has been sitting on the "shelf of doom" phor-ever..:-)

• Profile Photo

This thing is turning into a Frankenstein model. Wing was glued on today. I initially glued the forward and aft sections with tube glue, letting those areas set up for a few hours before hitting the wing roots with thin liquid cement. The wings were pulled into place with masking tape to get a tight join along the root. It worked pretty well - the warps are pretty much gone and the wing is actually somewhat square to the fuselage! For some odd reason, the seams on the right side of the model are a lot worse than those on the left, and the left exhaust nozzle fits much better than the right one. Go figure that one out!

Stabilizers are going to be a pain on this one. The alignment tabs are next to useless, and the contour on the stabs doesn't match that of the fuselage at all. Intakes will not be great, but they're not too bad either.

Landing gear will be going together next, as well as seam filling on the drop tanks and gun pod.

• Profile Photo

The modeling gods have smiled upon me. Late last night, I got the intake splitters and intakes installed. I was pretty proud of myself until this morning when I noticed that I hadn't painted the insides of the intakes! Fearing the worst, I managed to pop the intakes off without doing any damage. I used liquid cement, which I think didn't quite set up because it got pretty cold last night. Fit there is really bad. There will be another long session with the putty in my future.

This is the first jet I have done in ages and I already miss propellers...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Jaime: Try real thick white paint. A couple of coats. Or, depending, correction fluid, or Mr. dissolved putty, thick superglue, or any combination of the lot.
    That british (having a senior moment) two part putty (fine) used for various things (originally china repair, I hear tell) that can be shaped by water might also be an idea. Anything to avoid sanding in close quarters...
    Failing that, consider intake covers. Problem solved!
    Good luck! Break a finger!

• Profile Photo

Intake covers sound like a fine idea! If you can't fix it with skill, hide it! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Sounds like a good plan Jaime.
    Looking forward to seeing her in headlines.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 2 months ago:

We actually had winter here this year and it's putting a huge crimp in my modeling. Finally had a nice weekend, so I was able to get some more done on the Phantom. The big project was the intakes, the main sections of which are molded as separate parts from the fuselage. The splitter plate is glued to the fuselage, and the intake mates to that on the top and to the forward end of the wing at the bottom. The top join was pretty good, but the lower edge that meets the wing was horrible, ending up with a pretty sizable gap. This was filled with sheet styrene secured with thin liquid cement. The excess was then trimmed off and sanded smooth.

Next came the stabilzers, which required a lot of trimming and sanding to get them to fit. And even that wasn't great, requiring some thick superglue to attach them and filling the seam between the stabs and the fuselage. But the airframe is now complete, and after a little polishing to get rid of the scratches, will be ready for paint. That will have to wait until I get my compressor replaced, hopefully in a few weeks. Guess I'll just have to start another kit off the stash to kill some time...

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Well, no one can accuse me of being the fastest builder...

After a lot of life got in the way of hobby stuff, I've finally been able to get back to work on the Phantom. The build has been complicated by several weeks of 100 degree plus temperatures, which makes things in my climate controlled garage a tad bit warm. It cooled enough a few weeks ago to get the paint on, which was the usual five hours of masking and ten minutes of painting. The last few days have been devoted to getting all the underwing stores done. This bird will be in an A2A configuration, so no bombs. There are still a lot of little things to be done, but it's finally coming along!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Things are shaping up nicely Jaime…..nice work on the camp. Is it a hard edge or very tight airbrush work?

• Profile Photo

Hard edge, Jack. I just can't seem to get the hang of that freehanding thing! Masking tape is wonderful stuff...

• Profile Photo

Decals went on this weekend, so the Phantom now has her identity. Need to add a few more service stencils, then she'll be ready for the flat top coat. After that, final assembly...

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Great to this one is still underway, Jaime. Your camo looks excellent. You nailed the hard edged camo !