1/48th Tamiya Spitfire Mk. Vb Trop MTO RAF

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 22 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 years, 1 month ago:

This is my 3rd Spit to build within the last year, kit #61035, this one will again feature an Eduards cockpit zoom set, and Victory's excellent Spitfire decal set for the markings. The first kit built for the BOB Group build last year in the Dk. Earth/Dk Green over Black/White scheme, the next one completed in Jan this year, Tamiya Mk.Vb in an overall black scheme, which I will post shortly. This one will be a MTO scheme of Dk Earth/Midstone over Azure Blue, and will also have it's wings clipped. More to follow

Chuck

Fly Navy

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Now to start as usual in first airbrushing Interior Grey/Green for the cockpit, components and the fuselage halves. Also to note that Tamiya molded this kit in a Desert Tan color, and also added the Volks and Aboukir sand filters. Also the pilot is molded in a tropical uniform in flying shorts. Next up airbrushing the landing gear and silver/natural metal components then we start building. More to follow.
    Chuck
    Fly Navy

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 1 month ago:

You can't go wrong with this Spitfire kit, goes together like a dream. Will you be doing IR Gleed's markings?

• Profile Photo

Hi Martin, thanks for the comment, yes they do go together well. No though those markings are nice and colorful but done many times over, I decided to go with markings you don't see to often. Yellow T L, in the MTO scheme. A clipped wing Spit with an Aboukir sand filter.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Happy modelling with this great kit, Chuck. Have a good eye on this one before it will build its self 🙂
    A good start so far.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Good luck sir, these Tamiya kits are shake and bake but beware of their decals, can be c**p.
    Look forward to seeing some more.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Chuck, I'll be joining Simon in his warning about the kit decals propensity to shatter. It's happened to me often enough that I routinely over coat any Tamiya decals sheet with some sort of fixative. Looking forward to your build, I love me some clipped wing Spit's.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the tips on the decals, will only be using the stencils but but will be wary in how they perform when I get to that stage of the build. On the Tam Mk.I build last year I used only the roundels and stencils and they worked out ok, being that I have had all three Spits for over 10 years in the stash so imagine the age of the decals as well and how long they were sitting in storage prior to me taking possession of them. So they are even older.

• Profile Photo

Continuing on, next was to airbrush the natural metal and silver components, gear struts, inside gear doors, intake and radiator fronts, wheel hubs and bays. Next we can start building.

Chuck
    Fly Navy

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Today we start in the cockpit as usual, first the rear bulkhead and floor are test fitted. And really the fit is excellent, I leave it loose so when installed it will align correctly into the fuselage then will be cemented in place. The main cockpit components are painted with Aeromaster War Color Acrylic, Interior Grey/Green, I used IJN Red Brown for the seat back and headrest. And a silver Pencil for the worn edges. A wash of dirty thinner will be used once everything is assembled.

Next I take the seat and insert into the floor and paint the rear seat back IJN Red Brown. Put it aside and dry, in the meantime I will remove the LH side cockpit flip down door as this will be displayed open.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 years ago:

Sorry for the long break as I am actually farther along on this project, but finding time in between book reports work and planning my thesis for my Masters class. It is hard to find the time to upload the next set of images. Anyway finding a bit of time to catch up tonight. We start back at the seat assy and add the Eduards PE bits to the bulkhead and seats before we finish up on the cockpit side panels. First the headrest base is replaced with it's PE replacement. And attached to the rear bulkhead. The rear seat armor plate from the kit is installed as well. I then cut off the headrest from the kit's supplied plate and attach it over the PE piece.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 years ago:

Clicked on the wrong button, I wasn't ready to post my reply yet, sheesh. Anyway to continue on. Next is to install the seatbelts to seat before installing it to the floor. It is two sets of the upper harness and the lap belts to attach. Using white glue and Cyno to install each bit. Carefully feeding the harness through the small slot above the seat right below the headrest. Just hold your breath and feed. Then carefully pushing the buckles into the lower seat pan to give it some character. Next the lap belts are attached. The regulator is also installed behind the seat as well as the seat adjust lever on the RH side of the seat. The regulator is painted Gloss Black. Next the pedals and control yoke are installed. The top portion again painted Gloss Black. A little wash and some silver pencil used to highlight the wear areas of the floor and pedals. Next to take the forward bulkhead and remover the instrument details to prepare for the PE replacement IP and gauges. It's a 3 step process that really enhances the cockpit. In all honesty I can still paint the details with a brush. Highlight the rings and buttons. But this looks so much better and quicker. With these zoom sets. Thats it for now, next I will attach the PE bits on each inner panels and install the cockpit into the fuselage. Thanks for viewing.

Chuck

Fly Navy

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years ago:

As previously noted, Chuck...anything that says "Tamiya" on the box is gonna be a winner!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 years, 10 months ago:

After a long hiatus, it is time to get back into the Spit. Last we had assembled the cockpit, seat and instrument panel. Next we address the inner fuselage walls and details and finally get them together and get it all together. After removing the door on the LH fuselage, next we add the PE bits, on both sides. On the port side we add the oxygen tanks, radio and some other bits. On the starboard side the control lever and PE cables are installed. These details really enhance the cockpit. Next a test fit of the fuselage halves to make sure everything is clear and aligned. Once everything looks, good time to button her up. Next we actually start to assemble the stabs and wings.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Now time to move forward, this part of the process will move quite rapidly as the airframe will not take long to add the stabs, wings, lower wing details. Starting at the tail, the stabs are aligned and installed, quick and easy. Next I snap in the lower wing to the fuselage, no Tenax yet, I then attach the upper wing panels for fitment along the wing to fuselage joint. At this time I have already airbrushed MM steel to the wheel wells and interior area on the lower wing. Starting along the lower wing then up along the fuselage I apply the cement, and work my way out to the wings tips. The wings are now aligned and the clipped wing tips are installed.Next time to add the radiator, intake housing bits on the lower wing. With that the airframe is almost complete next to install the lower front nose panel with the Aboukir filter attached. That we will do next time as well as get the sanding sticks out and clean up the seams. Thanks for viewing,

Chuck

Fly Navy

Fly Navy

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.