1/48th Tamiya Spitfire Mk. Vb Trop MTO RAF

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 22 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Chuck, it will be nice to see an Aboukir on one instead of the Vokes. Looks sleeker, IMO.
    That's a nice kit, I've been thinking about a US operated one during the Desert campaign.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks Bernard, the original intent was to build it with the Volkes intake filter, but I couldn't come up with any markings or schemes that had a clipped wing Spit with that filter. So I just decided as Martin had premised IR Gleeds plane after all. Besides it has a unique scheme, even though it has been done many times over, I have always wanted to do that plane. So I might as well. Someday I will a Volkes Spit ugly as sin but it is unique and sets off from the other variants.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Looking forward to seeing this one completed, Chuck...lookin' good, sir.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 years, 9 months ago:

We are in the final prep phase before we lay down some paint. First a final go over of the seams. Mask the clear bits. And then some preshading is in order. Using Tamiya Flat Black which flows easier out of the brush, yet still a little heavy handedness on too many areas of the airframe before you get that right touch on the gun and a better thinner flow along the panel lines. Next we start applying the Azure Blue under surfaces.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Using Aeromaster's excellent but now out of production line of Acrylics which is the Polly S formula. RAF Azure Blue is applied over the preshaded areas as well as the gear doors for the under surface color. Using my trusty Paasche H model single action airbrush the paint flows quite well very little clogging issues which is not much of a problem with a single color, but frustrating when doing a multi color camo scheme on the upper surfaces. After 15 minutes this part of the scheme is done. Will work on another project for about an hour to let the paint set and then flip her over and apply the next color for this scheme. Before applying the Aeromaster Midstone I first mask the Azure blue as this will be a hard demarcation line dividing the upper color from the lower shade. The two upper colors will be painted free hand as the edges will be soft. I used to just paint the overall upper airframe the one color and then come back to lay down the 2nd color over it. But I have since changed my technique to leave bare the areas that will be covered by the 2nd color. Which helps also with the preshading to be more even and be able to see the affect. So this we do next with a rough draft left over for the Dark Earth to be applied. Again the paint lays down nicely after about 30 minutes of painting. Taking longer only by out lining the scheme over the top surfaces. The final color will be using Gunze RAF Dark Earth. Being that this is IR Gleeds Spitfire the scheme that was applied to his plane is not the typical Type A or B scheme, though loosely based, it is unique to this airframe. So far everything is working well on the paint job. Trust me I do not take ownership of this process I am sure others have used this technique already. I have adopted it and like so far the desired results. Next it is glossy clear coat time.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Future is used for the clear coat applied and let it stand over night for the decals. I will be using the kit decals for the national markings and stencils. The IR Gleed markings will come from the excellent Victory's Spitfire of the Empire sheet. The only hiccup after the decal session was over, the LH upper roundel would not settle down after using Aero Sol, even with hitting with Solva Set it the wrinkles would not go away. All the other decals went down with out a hitch. One of the issues I was worried about, as the Victory decals like to stick quickly, found that out using them for he first time on the Mk.1 Spit, and ended up losing 2 markings. What I have since learned in getting these to be able to float a little better was to add a little dish soap in the water. This also works with Authentic and Lifelike decal which are notoriously difficult to apply. Just wondering why the one roundel would not settle down. I am thinking maybe finger oil from my hands when handling it. Can't figure out what else may have caused it not to settle properly.

Next to do some weathering, paint chipping and other dastardly deeds to a perfectly good airplane. This will complete the WIP. Next is to present the complete Spit on Headlines shortly for the final result. I want to thank those who shared their thoughts and encouragement for this endeavour. Next time a new project.

God bless everyone,

Chuck

Fly Navy

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Looks like i missed some relaxed and successful modelling sessions. You Spit looks pretty nice, good work !