2 wings does a biplane make-6 days for the Gladiator....

Started by Bill Koppos · 7 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Yikes the top wing is on and I can't believe it wasn't that hard. Despite all my frettin' things lined up rather well. The main struts DID take a hell of a lot of trimming to get things even, but they are now epoxied in and going nowhere. I've got perfect alignment-that wonderful thing judges are always looking to DING you on. No jigs were used to line them up just the mark one eyeball. Not bad at all-maybe I will order that Silver Wings P-6E.

So onward, tried out the flat wire rigging the kit gives you, got two done on the cabane struts, and I like it. It's stiff enough to hold a straight line, flexible enough to work with. That's good as there is a long ways to paddle.

The propeller is another project. The Fairy-Reed prop is a weird one, twisted metal fixed pitch. The kit one leaves things to be desired, like an airfoil shape for instance, and the fact that it's almost flat. Careful sanding put some roundness on the blades, and hot water and a twist made it look like it will pull an aircraft. The wrongly-round spinner needs more lathing down too.

Many things are left, more rigging tomorrow night, still needs wing guns, rudder controls, small details and antennas. But it sure looks good for Monday. I can always do as my buddy Freddie does and finish her up in the hotel. Registration goes through Friday. 🙂

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Ralph Clements said 9 years, 9 months ago:

That's really looking good - quite impressive and I'm sure it will be a real contender at that show. I wish I could find an excuse to scoot over to Hampton for that, its about a 6 hour drive.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Keep it up Bill, looks like you're in the middle of the 3rd turn, headed for the home stretch. Really looking forward to seeing it done.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I see you're using a high-tech jig...

Coming on nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Bill, this Gladiator is a show stopper, well done mate!

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Great paint detailing on the exhaust & gun. Treating each area like a separate model is what will make this a contender.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks guys, there's hope! Rigging party tonight.