A Tale Of Five P-38 Lightnings (Maybe Six)

Started by Carl Smoot · 65 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

The CA+accelerator trick sounds like a great option. Will have to try that one. Happy that you have decided to experiment on the colors - that will be something else, and I am looking forward to it. Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

The CA+accelerator sounds inded nice, my friend @clipperboat!

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Glad to be able to contribute in a small way. I got to have a bit of fun this morning. I decided to start working on the oil coolers. I still don't have the mesh yet so I will wait until that arrives before painting these parts, but I think they will look pretty cool once painted and in place.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Will try that CA trick as well, Carl, thanks for sharing.
    Those oil coolers are looking cool already.

• Profile Photo

Well, I've run into a bit of a snag. I had always thought that the cowlings on the Hobby Boss kit looked a bit off. I always thought it was the lower forward edge was sharp on the kit whereas the actual plane is more rounded. I had done a bit of sanding on the kit part to try and rectify this, but probably could do a bit more.

However, a newer more difficult problem has been made apparent. I first noticed it when trying out the props and spinners on the cowling and then setting it in place. It didn't look right. It turns out that the kit lower cowling is angled back further than the aircraft. I checked several photographs to be sure and compared it to the Monogram kit (which does look right). It should be slightly more vertical. Aarrgh.

Okay so how to fix this? Options would seem to be 1. Don't fix it and live with it. 2. Add material to the front and try to reshape it. 3. Cut it from the cowling and try to reposition it to the correct angle. 4. Try and adapt the Monogram cowlings either to the Hobby Boss cowlings or to the Hobby Boss booms.

1. Well!

2. Risky because if I screw up, I cannot finish the kit

3. Also risky although probably not as much, but difficult to accomplish because of the ribbing inside the oil cooler openings

4. Biggest concern here is that there is a slight size difference between the two kits mostly in cross sectional width) and if I cut the HB cowlings and the Monogram cowlings don't fit, again I can't finish the model.

• Profile Photo

Okay, looking over the cowling a bit closer, it looks like modifying the cowling might be doable. If I make the cuts as shown in the photos and then angle the part forward, most of the repair work would be on the outside where it's fairly easy to get to. I think that I would also shorten the piece a little as I think it is currently too long in height.

Thoughts?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I agree with your chosen "cut -reposition - redetailing" solution, my friend @clipperboat.
    It is low risk, and I believe you will come up with a spot-on result!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I also think that your proposal has the highest chance of success, Carl.
    Can imagine you do hesitate to start the cutting.

• Profile Photo

Off to the sheetmetal shop. . .

• Profile Photo

Yeah, I started making the cuts. I've got them shifted and tacked in place. When they set up enough, I'll start filling in the gaps and restore the detail. I think its going to be okay.

• Profile Photo

Something else that is noticeable between the Monogram kit and the HB kit is the cross section shape of the booms and the cowling. The Monogram kit has a slightly more blown out shape which looks more correct. This is why I decided to go with the approach I chose. The Monogram cowlings are bigger in cross section and it would have been difficult to match them up to the HB kit.

Overall, I have to rate the kit about a 5 on a 10 scale for accuracy. Too bad really because the assembly method they chose is far superior to the older Hasegawa, Academy, and Monogram methods. From what've seen of the Tamiya kit it is even better although it uses the separate boom approach and makes up for it with superior engineering and fit.

I still want to make a J model fighter and an F-5 Photo recon bird. I'll be using the Academy kit for the F-5, but I am hoping that Tamiya comes out with a J/K. When I was looking at options to correct the cowling on the HB kit, I also took out the Academy cowlings to see if they would work. They seem to be off a bit as well compared to the Monogram kit. Sigh!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Carl you're way more ambitious than me in attempting 5 P-38's. Man that's gutsy to say the lest. However it is nice to see some comparison between those kits. I've built two Monograms one was trashed, a Minicraft F-5 version (gave me fits as nothing seemed to fit) as well as three Academy renditions. I have two of the new Tamiya's in the stash so I'm going to follow your progress with the Hobby Boss kit closely. So far it's looking very good, keep it up.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom, although the other P-38s are not nearly as far along. I will probably be tackling the Monogram Droop Snoot conversion next, but that one will require a lot of rescribing (fun!)

I'm rather reluctant to tackle the Academy kits right away and may work on something else for awhile to avoid burn out. One of the issues I face with these kits is they all (except the Tamiya kit) need additional detailing (especially in the wheel wells) which means three wheel wells per plane .It gits a bit tedious.

• Profile Photo

The cowlings have been filled in roughly now. I am going to let these sit for a whle before cleaning them up.

• Profile Photo

Nice buildup!