Academy 1/72 F-104G Starfighter

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 102 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Academy, F-104
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

You are probably right, my friend @airbum. Inspired by your guess, I hit "Academy" in Google translate. I got 4 Korean translations. One of them resembles a lot the mold stamp. Here it is: 전문학교.
    Once again, you provide valuable inspiration, my friend!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    Just asked my South Korean colleague.
    He recognizes the language indeed as Korean, although upside down.
    It means Academy Science according my colleague.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @johnb! After all above info, I might iteratively (!) risk to say that this seems to be one of Academy's first attempts, their logo still in Korean imprinted on the molds and, as John @j-healy pointed out above, it looks like an upgraded copy of the older Hasegawa one!
    Mystery solved!

• Profile Photo

Masked, painted gray, unmasked and Futured:

Does not look that bad.

I am a tad indecisive as to use the second pair of wing tanks too, apart from the tiptanks...

It is true that the second pair was worn very often, in order to provide that so necessary extra range for the recce missions (among others). It is kind of personal that MAYBE the looks with the 4 tanks are a tad departing from the so characteristic Starfighter stiletto looks...

Also, my very young godson ordered me not to permanently glue it on its base, but "TAC" it, as he wants to commence missions around his house with it and, although he IS careful, the second pair of tanks hanging under the wing might be on the fragile side, let alone the fact that it will be difficult from him to insert his fingers, in order to firmly hold it during his missions.

So, maybe I will leave only the wing pylons sans the extra tanks, only tiptanks?

Decisions, decisions...

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Hi Spiros. Inspirational work as always. I would suggest using only the characteristic wingtip tanks. It just adds to the sleek look of the F-104. The inner child in us all beckons for a time to take the finished model on a dangerous mission. Lol.

• Profile Photo

Well done, Spiros @fiveten.
    Personally I would also go for only the tip tanks.
    Like you said, in that case it will keep the looks of the 104.
    And it makes it indeed more robust for the upcoming missions.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @mornem and @johnb!
    Then it is decision taken! Tipanks only!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Too late to take part in the "vote" I guess, but I do agree that tips only sounds like the way to go here.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    I just finished reading this build journal from the very beginning to where it is now. You have made some wonderful progress with this jet model. I am sure that it will see many hours of "flight time" soon. I am also sure that it will bring many smiles... Miles of smiles in fact.

As far as the deletion of the wing tanks, I think it was a wise decision to go as you have. It will look more like the original version of the sleek F-104.

Speaking of them... I have seen a pair of these jets flying low and fast over our tanks when we were in Germany. Shortly after they disappeared another set of Luftwaffe F-4 Phantoms appeared from no where. These planes made just one pass... Low and fast, never to be seen again by us. It was a very impressive sight to see (and hear). I'm not sure about which nation was flying the F-104, as we were all participating in a multi national simulated "War Game" exercise at the time. The F-4's were definitely Luftwaffe planes. I remember seeing the markings to this very day. The Luftwaffe F-4's were camouflaged in the same gray and green colors that were used on the Academy F-104 box art.

I commend you for this build. It comes from the soul.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis @lgardner! So glad my build brings out all those nice memories and, of course, your effort to write down and share all those memories with us is so much appreciated!
    Thanks again, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Decalling!

I applied the kit supplied decals, which behaved well, by the way, no "Academy" issues whatsoever.

Their registration was off, being mostly noticeable at the white borders of the black crosses and codes.

Nevertheless, i used them and here is the result:

The intake lips and shock cones were painted black, still needing some correction.

I found a quite nice pilot in my spares; here he is, in the process of painting...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 3 months ago:

This is an attractive colour scheme. It shows off the insignia pretty well. Even if the decals are slightly off register, it still looks good. The orange colour on the tip tanks will stand out nice against this colour scheme.

• Profile Photo

Beautifully done, Spiros
    Your godson will be very proud when receiving his gift.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looks great Spiros, nice paint job!
    If a part doesn't fit - you make it fit. I have always found that gently persuasion with a sledge hammer usually helps when I am doing home renovation 😉